Thread: I just got a TG16+CD...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Platinum, here is the lowdown:

The Turbo CD should at least come with a System 2.0 card. This allows regular CD games.
    There is an upgrade card called the Super System card (System 3.0). This allows "Super CD" games. This is as far as US games ever got.

The CD games are region free, so they are import friendly!

In Japan, there was an "Arcade Card", which was the final upgrade. Only a few games were released. Unless you are a crazy collector who likes dropping money on $300 shoot 'em ups and cheap 16-bit Neo Geo ports, then don't bother with it.

I definitely recommend getting a Super CD (System 3.0) card. Some of these Super CD games are among the best 16-bit games there are. Examples include Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder. Unfortunately, as others have said, getting a US Super CD card is not easy/cheap. It might actually be easier to get a Japanese PC Engine (that is the name of the Turbografx-16 in Japan) Super CD system.

There is a reliability issue with the Turbografx-CD unit. One of the internal plastic gears becomes brittle over time and can literally shatter. If that happens, the CD unit is toast. Getting a replacement gear is VERY difficult. I do know of someone (over at the Pcenginfx.com forums) that can fix them, but he still has to look for the correct parts (only found in a specific mini cassette player, I think).

Due to the difficulty of getting a Super CD card, the reliability issue with the CD unit and the fact that CD-games are region free, a lot of people keep their Turbografx-16 for US games and also import a PC Engine Duo for playing CD games and Japanese import HuCards/Turbochips on. If you get serious about the TG-16, this is the best way to go. There are three versions of the PC Engine Duo. All are good, but the original Duo sometimes has sound issues (which ARE fixable without too much difficulty, unlike the original CD unit...).

So, the best route, IF you cannot find a decently priced US Super CD card, is to import a PC Engine Duo. Then you have access to ALL TG-16 and PC Engine games (except for a few Arcade card games, unless you buy that of course) and won't have to worry about the thing breaking down beyond reasonable repair. Getting a US Duo is also an option, but it is actually more expensive than importing a PC Engine Duo. Your call, there.

As for modding the system to get s-video or SCART, I think Tomaitheous might be able to help you. I cannot personally vouch for him, though. I don't know him except through reading his posts. I can personally vouch for some of the members at Pcenginefx, if you want a mod. Just PM me if you want a name.

Last Alert is definitely a fun game. I compare it to Ikari Warriors or the overhead levels from Super Contra, except it is more mission based. It would be worth buying if you weren't already getting it.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    As for modding the system to get s-video or SCART, I think Tomaitheous might be able to help you. I cannot personally vouch for him, though. I don't know him except through reading his posts. I can personally vouch for some of the members at Pcenginefx, if you want a mod. Just PM me if you want a name.
    I'm not offering services. I'm offering the schematic for a more cost friendly (doesn't require a new/replacement encoder) and PCE color accurate s-video solution (the replacement encoders get the 512 color palette wrong). Someone else will have to build it for him.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my gosh I love this thing. The Turbo CD is fun, Last Alert it pretty good too, no doubt it has the worst voice acting I've ever whitnessed in my life.

Now... What can someone tell me about R-Type on the Turbo CD, I already have the TG-16 one and really want the CD version.
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Now... What can someone tell me about R-Type on the Turbo CD, I already have the TG-16 one and really want the CD version.
    Here's a review and screens for the CD one:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/s...0Complete%20CD
    www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is an interesting piece of hardware. When I first got it in the package, it was colder than an icicle. So, I took it inside... got it all warmed up in the game room... so finally about an hour goes by- I decided to fire up this bad boy. I plug in all the cords, dust down the system, plopped the CD on the spindle, and then I turn the system on.......

Well, the TCD screen comes up, and it tells me to press RUN. So I did, but I got nothing, the disc was not spinning at all, the laser did fire up though.

Then I got an idea!

I use to repair certain vintage game systems for my local video store about a year ago. I learned many things, and if there is one thing I learned about vintage electronics is that you gotta tinker around with it for a while.

So I did, I pressed the buttons on the TCD, no response. Finally after I pressed the PLAY button for about the 30th time, it reads!!!

Now it fires up like a champ.
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)