Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

Default Super Mario All-Stars Question?

So I have the originals.

Clearly the best.

However, I also have SM All-Stars for SNES, which is great. Over the years, I've never noticed any differences besides graphical updates.

Here's my issue.

I just bought the new release of it for the Wii. Has anyone else noticed that the mechanics for Super Mario Bros. is not the same at all? At first, I thought I just needed to get used to seeing it on my LCD rather than an old Tube TV.. but it's not that at all.

There is a very obvious difference in Mario's step. For instance. When you jump with him, and hold forward, to jump forward.. Something is different. It's more difficult to land in the planned locations. Not that it's actually more difficult.. but when you're used to playing a game for over 20 years, changing the arc of his jump, or the distance he covers in a forward jump throws a wrench in the gears.

We can debate this all day, or try to debunk it based off of the TV used, or the WiiMote's delay time, being that it isn't wired. But I have the Virtual Console version, and it's perfect. Same as the original.

Here's the final test situation that made it 100% clear to me that the mechanics changed. The best description I can make is that it makes Mario feel heavier. More weighty. In stage 1-1, get to the bricks that have three on the bottom and one above the center one with the fireflower in it. It was a simple task to jump under the top brick, hit it, release the fireflower, and then jump up and slightly to the side of that brick from underneath, while pressing the direction of the flower to sort of back jump up onto that same brick. It's a classic, very well known and used method in MANY Mario games.

Notice anything? It doesn't really work. Well... it does, but it's a mega-pain in the ass. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and bothers me for some reason.

Has anyone else picked up on this yet? Is my copy defective? Maybe I'm just losing my mind. But I can't imagine why Nintendo would ever change something like this.
    TenTenCanidae
    Collects NES games & RPG's for all systems.
    www.myspace.com/peeweesbike
    www.myspace.com/bayonetdoesntcare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since the game is basically a rom on a disc, it is likely an emulation or wireless issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

I know exactly what you mean. I bought the Super Mario Bros game for Wii and found the jumping to be way off from the norm. I thought it was just me and the fact I haven't played mario in awhile, so I fired up the NES and blazed right through the first few levels with no jumping/timing issues at all. I actually disliked the controls so much, that I haven't went back to play it again.
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard79 View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I bought the Super Mario Bros game for Wii and found the jumping to be way off from the norm. I thought it was just me and the fact I haven't played mario in awhile, so I fired up the NES and blazed right through the first few levels with no jumping/timing issues at all. I actually disliked the controls so much, that I haven't went back to play it again.
    EXACTLY!

I love the case and artwork. I needed to own it regardless... but they really screwed it up.
    TenTenCanidae

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I've noticed the physics to be different too, and the top info/health bar seems to flicker.

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I've noticed the physics to be different too, and the top info/health bar seems to flicker.
    You're 100% right! Mine does too. I didn't think to mention that. It doesn't bother me as much as the mechanics though.
    TenTenCanidae

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by tentencanidae View Post
    You're 100% right! Mine does too. I didn't think to mention that. It doesn't bother me as much as the mechanics though.
    So, I'm now going to assume it might be a frame-rate or refresh-rate issue due to poor emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Super Mario Bros. version on Super Mario All-Stars felt very different physics wise in 1993 compared to the NES original.

Comparing it to the NES release on the Virtual Console doesn't prove or indicate a thing. You'd have to compare it to the original SuperNes release.

That said, it does seem to have a different feel compared to what I remember. But I never cared for the update for SMB and have just played the NES original in recent years, which might explain why I think it feels so different compared to what I remember.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The Super Mario Bros. version on Super Mario All-Stars felt very different physics wise in 1993 compared to the NES original.

Comparing it to the NES release on the Virtual Console doesn't prove or indicate a thing. You'd have to compare it to the original SuperNes release.

That said, it does seem to have a different feel compared to what I remember. But I never cared for the update for SMB and have just played the NES original in recent years, which might explain why I think it feels so different compared to what I remember.
    I was referring to the SNES version, and I was playing mostly SMB2, and there was a distinct difference. I have ordered an adapter to use NES/SNES/GEN/N64 pads, and I'll have my final verdict in then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Didn't someone post a side by side video of the originals to the SNES version (2 systems wired into the same controller setup) not too long ago that showed that there were timing differences between the 2?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was talking to tentencanidae and Alucard79. The physics in the NES original and those in the Super Mario All-Stars version are quite a bit different, so you can't really base anything in this Wii release by comparing it with the NES original.

So the fact that this Wii rerelease feels different to the NES original doesn't necessarily indicate that anything is up. I think we'd have to compare it with the SuperNes release on real hardware to really detirmine anything.

Still, it certainly feels different to how I remember SMB feeling in the SuperNes game. Going to have to give that a try later and see.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-30-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

If they did manage to screw up the physics, it's BOGGLING that it got out the door considering how much of a total ripoff it already is. Basically a straight dump of a SNES cart and they couldn't even make it the one with SMW on it?

The disc image is a measly 13MB. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story but why not make it worth the $30? Add SMW, Yoshi's Island, and Mario64, instead of being lazy and just cashing in. It could've been a VC download for $10 and they'd still be making a killing.

Pathetic, Nintendo. Pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True, but it's a "limited edition". That makes it okay. I think it's a wasted opportunity, Nintendo could have done a lot more with it, like including other landmark Mario games like SMW, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64 for a start, but didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i don't think anyone has really detirmined if anything is actually wrong. I just think it's been a while since many of us played the All-Stars version of Super Mario Brothers and we've forgotten how it controlled. At least that's my suspicion on why it seems a bit off to me.

SMB2 and SMB3 certainly feel fine. But they pretty much controlled identically to their NES versions in the original All-Stars release (I've regularly been playing SMB2 and 3 on the SuperNes cartridge for many years along with the original NES versions). Why would they now still feel fine in this rerelease (To me at least) while SMB doesn't (I haven't gotten into the Lost Levels yet)?

I'm writing off my experience for now as expecting it to feel like the NES game in my head since that's all I've played for SMB in many years due to my preference for the original. The original release in 1993 felt very different to me as best as I can remember (Which combined with the huge differences in graphics, pretty much turned me off on the remake of it). I imagine when I fire up the SuperNes and spend some time with the original cartridge, SMB will feel the same to me as it does in this Wii game.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    True, but it's a "limited edition". That makes it okay. I think it's a wasted opportunity, Nintendo could have done a lot more with it, like including other landmark Mario games like SMW, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64 for a start, but didn't.
    Yeah, they really should be bundling many of their classics into a bargain compilation irregardless if they're able to sell them individually at a much higher price on the Virtual Console.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-30-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone still finding Mario All-Stars in stores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

This is more of a thought that just occurred to me than anything...but I would imagine that the SNES SMB All Stars is using the SMW engine with level data from the original games. That would be so much easier than doing a rewrite on them and I'm pretty sure that the SNES isn't doing emulation. There wouldn't be too many changes to made other than updating the graphics...and adding in SM2 game mechanics.

For the Wii version(which I have not played). Are they emulating the original game? Or did they write it from the ground up. Because if they we wrote it then they probably used modern physics approaches.

For example, the old way (in simplistic C pseudo code) would be like this..
    Jump()
    {
    if (mario.y < jumpheight) mario.y--;
    else mario.y--;
    }

In a modern game(even 2D) it would simply be...
    Jump()
    {
    mario.ApplyForce.up;
    }

The physics engine would take care of the rest.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    This is more of a thought that just occurred to me than anything...
    The Wii version is an exact dump from All-Stars for the SNES. Title screen, game select, graphics, etc. are identical. If you'd never heard of it and someone told you it was a VC release of All-Stars, you'd believe it. And the physics on the All-Stars version were damn close to the original (at least on 1, I never played the original 1J) and not very close to SMW.

The SNES wasn't emulating the NES, of course, since the graphics were completely re-done in 16-bit form. I suspect the original level data was used (or copy/pasted, whatever) but everything else was re-written. Nintendo wasn't quite as lazy as they are now.

I know what you're thinking, but I don't think it's possible.

I have a friend that has the new one, and I have the original NES carts (all except 2J) and also All-Stars for the SNES. Maybe I can invite him over and we'll do a comparo. Still won't change the fact that releasing this as a $30 game was dickish and a wasted opportunity.
    Last edited by jperryss; 12-30-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played mine tonight, and after about 40 minutes, I didn't notice anything different from the SNES version, other than using a different controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just spent about two hours going between the SuperNes and the Wii game. I didn't notice any differences.

I still don't care for the Super Mario Brothers update. I love what they did with SMB2 and SMB3, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

why would you buy a game when you already own the originals and the snes allstars? waste of money.