Thread: Would you ever consider your collection finished?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would you ever consider your collection finished?

Or is it a never ending journey...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I think it is a never ending journey because if you are materialistic and like to collect things, once you finish collecting one thing you will crave another. You get everything in one set and say "well I have all these, time to play them all." Then you get money again and something inside you makes you wonder what to do with it. Since you are used to collecting, your brain tells you to satisfy that urge of doing what you are used to.

Or sometimes if you get a nice collection the next thing you want to do is rather than collect more, buy things that will make your current collection look better or be easier to access, such as new shelves or cabinets. Some people run out of room but want to keep their stuff so they get a storage unit and put shelves in there.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I agree with Rickstilwell1, even if I somehow obtain every game in my want list, I'll keep wanting more. It's never ending. Plus, most of the fun in collecting for me is looking for the stuff and finding it, not just having it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As much as I'd like to consider it nearly finished, as buzz_n64 and Rickstilwell1 stated, once you clear your list and queue, the beast beckons once more. I thought I was done after a PS2 binge back in 2005, yet here I am, a list renewed. I have a really solid (though small by DP standards) collection and have plenty of games with more entertainment value to be wringed-out from them, yet there is always something, be it new or old that captures my interest.

I'd like to be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its never ending, but as my interests change I sell off parts of my collection that I no longer have any desire for. That way I can still get the rush of picking up new stuff without it turning into a situation where I end up hoarding thousands of games I will never touch.

I lost interest in the CDI and Jaguar completely and ended up selling all the games for those 2 systems, 40+ jag games and an equal number of cdi games. Also got/getting rid of all my vintage PC games, Ngage, and Game.com.

I just started re-evaluating my main collection also. I went through my ps1, snes, and nes collections and sold anything that I had no desire to play. I am now doing the same with my CIB genesis and master system collections, will probably trim off 200 genesis and 50 sms games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will gladly consider my collection finished at some point in time. Even if I'm grabbing an occasional game here and there, if there are no clear "wants" in my list, then I'll consider it done.

However, you can always upgrade condition and then sell a duplicate. That is the part that just keeps on going and going...
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Yes.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I roughly consider my collection finished. There are not many games that I have wanted to pick up and haven't yet. Those that I don't have I simply don't want to spend the money on.

I'll still buy games occasionally, but I only do so because I find them discounted beyond my ability to say no. I also buy games just to see them running on real hardware, but I rarely consider these games I want to keep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

As long as games keep coming out, I'll never be finished.

But the "full-set" bug left me some time ago, so I do have a few systems that save for a few expensive titles, I'd consider finished or very close to finished. (PS1, PS2, Sega CD, Saturn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. I have no desire to do a fullset, and I imagine that eventually new game releases will be download only (which is when I stop collecting new games), so once I've gotten all the games I want for older systems I'll be done. I might end up picking up a game or two if I hear that it's good and it's one I didn't know about, or when we get more homebrew releases, but I'll still consider the collection finished regardless.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I think it is a never ending journey because if you are materialistic and like to collect things, once you finish collecting one thing you will crave another. You get everything in one set and say "well I have all these, time to play them all." Then you get money again and something inside you makes you wonder what to do with it. Since you are used to collecting, your brain tells you to satisfy that urge of doing what you are used to.

I'm the opposite of that. I consider my collection, for all intents and purposes, done. I haven't bought a new game in a long time. I am not actively searching, either. I'm quite content with my collection. Now granted, at this point in my life, all I care for is my SNES. This certainly limits me and has its pros and cons. Biggest pro though is I'm no longer in the "rat race" and I can just focus on and enjoy one system. You do what works for you. I'm happy and good

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I could be done, but theres always something else. Demo disc, for instance, have nothing but incomplete unofficial list and everytime you think you have everything collected something else new pops up. This happens pretty much every single year. As for games, unless I suddenly became rich enough to afford everything on my want list, a complete collection is just not going to happen. So in that sense I guess it really is a never ending story.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) wfnjstallion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I would love to think there is a light at the end of the collecting tunnel, there isn't for me. It is never ending getting into a new series, taking someone's recommendation, new games releasing, etc. Today I "completed" my PS2 collection with Shadow of the Colossus while on the subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i would venture to say that i'm done "collecting games" now at least. however, now i only buy the games i know that i really want to play and i never pay full price...not even close.....i realized quickly when my kids were born that priorities change dramatically. i know that a $25 game can easily be a box of diapers that i know my kids need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

My journey of collecting video games is not finished but rather, it has only begun

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.