Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Default BS Achievements

This isn't a thread for hard, out-of-reach achievements that take some work and elbow grease to complete. Nope, I'm talking about completely asinine achievements that are majorly flawed in some sort of manner. Case in point:

I was just playing BIT.TRIP BEAT on Steam (which is a really good game, BTW), and I noticed that one of the achievements listed is to "beat a level using the Razer Sixense controller". So, not only do you have to buy a whole new controller to get one achievement, get this -- the controller isn't even out yet! So, if you're an achievement completist (which, thank God, I'm not), you're going to have that one achievement sitting unearned for an indefinite amount of time. I've read on the Steam forums where people are staying away from this game for that exact reason.

So, what BS achievements have you found recently?
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Garry's Mod "One year of playtime" achievement.

You HAVE to have the game running for 365 days of playtime. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Magic the gathering duel of the plains walker has this Spellslinger: Defeat someone who has earned the Spellslinger achievement and mega man 10 has this Mr. Perfect: Clear the game without getting damaged. The last one is more of an almost impossible one due to the fact that most will never get this because it is hard to not take any damage in the game.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

There was some game, Bullet Witch I believe. Firstly, the game sucks hard and you have to beat it once to unlock the hardest difficulty. Secondly, to get this achievement you have to beat this shitty game on this hardest difficulty. Your reward? 1 achievement point.

Then there is a Katamari game for the 360 where you must buy DLC to get the full 1000.
    Last edited by Porksta; 01-07-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    There was some game, Bullet Witch I believe. Firstly, the game sucks hard and you have to beat it once to unlock the hardest difficulty. Secondly, to get this achievement you have to beat this shitty game on this hardest difficulty. Your reward? 1 achievement point.
    I like Bullet Witch for the most part, but yeah, that was BS.
    Last edited by pseudonym; 01-07-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to add any online achievement due to the fact that some games you buy now will have no one online playing so how would you ever get them knowing this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    mega man 10 has this Mr. Perfect: Clear the game without getting damaged. The last one is more of an almost impossible one due to the fact that most will never get this because it is hard to not take any damage in the game.
    It's hard if you make it hard. You can play on Easy difficulty and save after every level (even Wily stages, I believe). If you get hit, just reload your save. To me, Mega Man 9 was the ridiculous one:

04 Bust a Move: Don't miss with the mega buster and clear the game.
    16 Peacekeeper: Clear the game by defeating the fewest number of enemies possible.
    19. Gamer's Day: Clear the game 5 times in 1 day.
    23. Truly Hardcore!: Clear the game for the 30th time.

MM 9 also has the Mr. Perfect and yes, that one IS ridiculous by default.

To me though, alot of these Trophies or achievements are gimmies, which I also find kinda dumb. Like God of War III's "oh my god you killed something" type of Trophies you get throughout the game. Shouldn't an award mostly merit something extra or substantial that you performed along the way?

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

There is a Half Life 2 gnome achievement you can get. You have to carry a gnome through the whole game.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    To me though, alot of these Trophies or achievements are gimmies, which I also find kinda dumb. Like God of War III's "oh my god you killed something" type of Trophies you get throughout the game. Shouldn't an award mostly merit something extra or substantial that you performed along the way?
    Perhaps, but it IS one way of showing just how far along you are in the game, or that you didn't just load a random save game and clear the game without doing everything else. :P
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I disagree. I think this was one achievement that stood out from the pack. If you managed to get it, it would say you went out of your way to beat the game just because you can, not for the achievement points.

A BS achievement, there are some for Shadowrun. The trickest one was something about killing a player playing on another platform version of the game x many times. Shadowrun for PC and 360 are cross compatible. Shadowrun for PC required Xbox Live to play online with and that wasn't a success. Gamer pool was limited on release already, probably moreso now.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ones like in Harm's Way for just selecting the credits to watch from a menu were pretty disappointing to me.

The BS ones for me are online achievements that require huge investments in time (Well over 50+ hours if we're talking about Codemasters racers like Grid and F1 2010, where as the rest for the offline modes are more than reasonable in a fraction of the time), 0 point achievements, and achievements that are tied to online aspects like Gotham TV (PGR3) that aren't kept online and available for the life of Xbox Live support on the 360.

After putting in 15 hours into the online mode of Grid and realizing I was only 10% of the way towards getting the final achievement, I decided to call that game complete even though I had every other achievement.

There are no shortage of achievements now that are impossible to get thanks to things like EA Locker for NASCAR 09 having been taken offline and Gotham TV for PGR3. And sadly, some achievements were always unachievable from day 1 (Some XBLA achievements come to mind, although I can't remember specifics off hand). And in the case of at least Grid, one achievement was unachievable when the game shipped, was fixed in the first patch, and then broken again in the last patch. So now it's unaccessible unless you get clever and edit the contents of your hard drive to remove the second patch since Codemasters has no intentions of ever fixing it again.

The ones that can't be achieved now or never could be achieved are the real BS achievements.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-07-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to get technical--you had to beat "hard" mode to unlock "chaos" mode and beating "chaos" mode unlocked "hell" mode, which was worth the already mentioned 1 point. So yeah it was bullshit, especially since achievements weren't stackable and after beating the game on normal I had to go back and beat it on easy to get that achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A
    0 point achievements
    I actually like some of those, like the ones in TMNT: Arcade(fall down a manhole 3 times), F.E.A.R.(kill 5 rats or birds) and Split Second(die trying to follow someone thru a shortcut they triggered).

As for your PGR3 example, what I hate is when there are online achievements for games that will have very short online communities, such as F.E.A.R.(a game in which half of it's achievemnets are for online multiplayer) and Perfect Dark(you'd be hard pressed to find games where more than one other person is playing regardless of what time of day you make your attempt).
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 01-07-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In a way, I guess I do sort of like 0 point achievements. I took my sweet time getting 1000 achievement points in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. By the time I went into online multiplayer (Which had several achievements that were all worth 0 points), no one was playing any longer.

So it provides a way to still link achievements with online modes, but allows you to future proof your game a bit so that at least a full 1000 points remains possible in the future when your community has moved on or servers go down.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

While I love Yakuza 3, there is one trophy that is bs. Mini-game Master.

You need to get a near perfect score on all mini games for all difficulties; Batting cages, bowling, golf, karaoke, Boxcelios, pool, and darts, get every item possible when fishing or using the UFO catcher, and need to get a certain amount of winnings or win a certain amount in a single round in all gambling games. I only have extra hard batting cages, one Japanese gambling game, UFO catcher, bowling, and pool to get before I get the Mini-game Master trophy.

The batting cages extra hard mode is the most difficult. You can only miss two out of 20 balls, the numbers are spaced out so you're unable to hit two at once, and you have no target on screen so you have to remember where the target is located. I think once I get to this one to make it a little easier I'll use a piece of tape as the target location and hope that works, although when changing the direction you're aiming towards, I think the camera moves more than the target location so I don't think the piece of tape will work.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the winner for worst achievement to date is the one in Alan Wake that awards you for simply watching the in-game Verizon commercial.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Beating RE5 on the hardest difficulty mode. Trust me, no matter how hard you play or how much elbow grease you put into it, it's impossible to beat by yourself. Even with body armor and the best weapons w/unlimited ammunition, enemies can still kill you in one or two hits. And of course, Sheva is a dumb bitch that gets killed easily.

The only way you could possibly beat this mode is if you are an absolute expert of the game (like I am) and have a friend who is also an expert. Then, you would have to take baby steps and make sure you kill all enemies way before they can even get close to you. The control scheme is also pretty bad for a shooter game, so you would have to predict when enemies and bosses throw shit at you, so you have plenty of time to dodge it.

But for BS achievements, the gnome one in HL2 is probably the worst.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiankirchoff View Post
    But for BS achievements, the gnome one in HL2 is probably the worst.
    Oh, the Left 4 Dead 2 one can be just as bad, even if it doesn't take that long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    and Perfect Dark(you'd be hard pressed to find games where more than one other person is playing regardless of what time of day you make your attempt).
    Actually, none of the PD achievements require online. You can get them all offline.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I think the winner for worst achievement to date is the one in Alan Wake that awards you for simply watching the in-game Verizon commercial.
    There is no achievement for that. You get an achievement for finding and turning on all of the tv's in the game but they show an actual tv show and you don't even have to watch them. You also get an achievement for turning on the first tv but you also don't have to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    Actually, none of the PD achievements require online. You can get them all offline.
    I just checked the list and it appears that this is true. I thought the ones were you had to play each of the multiplayer game types were online only but you can actually play them against bots or in split screen.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 01-08-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was playing some old Tiger Woods game, and there were achievements for doing online things, such as capturing a photo and putting it on an in-game character. The only problem? EA's servers no longer support the game.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them