I live in a city where there's one arcade. Recently, they acquired Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition from the tips local players gave them - it was a hefty $13k as I hear it, and they were charging $1 a game - expensive, but fine by me, as arcades need the help they can get, and not many places have this game.

After 2-3 weeks, the owner took it out. He said that, this past weekend, it only made $47, and too many people were whining about the $1 price. Last year, I spoke with the owner on his arcade, and it seems like redemption games are what keeps the business afloat. I'm told they're having a staff meeting on Wednesday, and it could be about more than just the SSFIVAE fiasco - might be about the place going under. There's only so many of us dedicated fans...

When I was living in Northern New Jersey, I saw two beloved local arcades close down. I really don't want that to happen this time.

I'm asking for advice from those in-the-know - anybody who currently or has previously owned/operated an arcade. What keeps the business going? The arcades that have survived the major wave of disappearances - how did they do it, and what has changed? The owner has shown that he is open to suggestions, and I also know some of the staff members.

Sorry for being vague on the place's details - I'm not sure if anyone knows the place I'm referring to, and I don't want to throw the name around, that's all. I don't mean to be rude, but please avoid wild speculation - I'm hoping that amongst the members here on Digital Press, there's a few real experts, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!