Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3DS will be region locked

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was region locked media produced for a region-free gaming system...
    UMD movies. Yeah, follow that success story right to the stars.

I'm not saying I know anything about specifically why they choose to do this. I do know that differentiation from non-performers in the market is a first principle strategy. In their shoes, this is the best reason I can think of to do what they've decided. That's all.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-15-2011 at 06:32 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    There was region locked media produced for a region-free gaming system...
    UMD movies. Yeah, follow that success story right to the stars.

I'm not saying I know anything about specifically why they choose to do this. I do know that differentiation from non-performers in the market is a first principle strategy. In their shoes, this is the best reason I can think of to do what they've decided. That's all.
    I have my MBA and have never even heard of the first principle strategy.

I'd debate with you, but I'm not clear on exactly what you're getting at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gay.

Why can't every company be like Sony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No need for that Leo, it was just a thought. Apparently it wasn't very good or I'm not putting it into words well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    No need for that Leo, it was just a thought. Apparently it wasn't very good or I'm not putting it into words well.
    I wasn't trying to be rude or dismissive, just wasn't familiar with the theory you were using. I'm assuming it's not a business theory or that I know it under some different name?

You very well might be raising an excellent point. I'm just not in a position due with my unfamliarity with what you're explaining to make a personal judgement on it one way or another.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    This and the battery life have greatly reduced my interest in the 3DS.

I'm almost certainty going to hold off until the lighter/cheaper version or to see weather the PSP2 is going to show up soon.
    Amen, brother. Except for the region locking part. I don't really mind that so much. (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    [...] I don't think I've ever played an import game except that ROM of Wanpaku Graffiti I played on my NES emulator but I can see the frustration on the part of those who do.
    I bought a JP PS2 specifically to play Melty Blood and a few other games, and started checking out import sites to find other titles to pick up. Since I'm not into visual novels or Gundam games, speak almost no Japanese, and don't sleep with a huge anime girl pillow, there isn't much that didn't come out here in the states that's worth playing; or at least paying ninety dollars plus shipping for. I suspect that trend will only continue with 3DS. It sucks for fans of visual novels and so on, but I'd bet most games worth picking up will be available in every region.

tl;dr: you aren't missing much my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Gay.

Why can't every company be like Sony?
    I can tell you have a long and illustrious career ahead of you here at DP.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 01-16-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I wasn't trying to be rude or dismissive, just wasn't familiar with the theory you were using. I'm assuming it's not a business theory or that I know it under some different name?
    You'll be happy to know then that you weren't received that way! And I think that's it. BTW, "first principle strategy" was used by me as a descriptive term. First-principals from a philosophical perspective, then applied to a business strategy. If competitor A tried X and it didn't work, company B should try something non-X, in other words. I don't think that it is an explicit business term at all.

Nintendo, having problems with piracy on GBA and DS, is just trying something new to see what happens. Inexpensive all-in-one solutions are viewed very favorably by investors/shareholders and even consumers. Of course, since it seems to have already been found how to get around the measure, it might have already failed. It's possible that the fact that they ramped up and even tried to have more control over the device at that point can then serve as appeasement, because at least they tried something different that had a possibility of working, in theory. Even if bypassed, no one can say they didn't try to fix the problem... Does that make more sense? It is difficult, to say the least, trying to make sense out of nonsense.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-16-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't think it's been mentioned, but it appears that region locking will be up to each individual publisher. Hopefully most won't force it upon us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can count all of my Euro imports (all systems) on two hands and a foot, so no real loss for me there... From over the Pacific on the other hand, they seem to be a bit more voluntary lock-up happy. So, ouch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't think it's been mentioned, but it appears that region locking will be up to each individual publisher. Hopefully most won't force it upon us.
    I hate saying this, but source? Everything I've read so far seems to suggest a blanket region locking approach. Though obviously I would prefer the alternative.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    I hate saying this, but source? Everything I've read so far seems to suggest a blanket region locking approach. Though obviously I would prefer the alternative.
    Nintendo's own wording suggest otherwise, and many mainstream sites have reported it. It's been widely reported and isn't hard to confirm for yourself if you have any doubts.

They've stated that "there is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another" and to check the back of the game case to ensure that it will play in your 3DS.

That's being interpreted as placing region locking up to the decision of the individual publisher (Although I assume if a game takes advantage of the internet, it will automatically have to be locked such as like DSi Enhanced software).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-30-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo's own wording suggest otherwise, and many mainstream sites have reported it. It's been widely reported and isn't hard to confirm for yourself if you have any doubts.

They've stated that "there is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another" and to check the back of the game case to ensure that it will play in your 3DS.

That's being interpreted as placing region locking up to the decision of the individual publisher (Although I assume if a game takes advantage of the internet, it will automatically have to be locked such as like DSi Enhanced software).
    Well some good news then. Although I'm sure all but the nichest of publishers will take the region locking route.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    Well some good news then. Although I'm sure all but the nichest of publishers will take the region locking route.
    Maybe, but for years, it's been widely viewed as best if handhelds aren't region locked so international travellers can purchase games without fear of their purchase not working.

So if publishers still believe that, maybe at least a healthy portion will choose to keep their software region free when possible.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I bought a JP PS2 specifically to play Melty Blood and a few other games, and started checking out import sites to find other titles to pick up. Since I'm not into visual novels or Gundam games, speak almost no Japanese, and don't sleep with a huge anime girl pillow, there isn't much that didn't come out here in the states that's worth playing; or at least paying ninety dollars plus shipping for. I suspect that trend will only continue with 3DS. It sucks for fans of visual novels and so on, but I'd bet most games worth picking up will be available in every region.

tl;dr: you aren't missing much my friend.
    I have to disagree strongly, and I take a little bit of offense at what you're implying a heavy importer would be into. At this point, yes, "most" worthwhile games will get localized, but I would say practically any given system, including the ones over the last decade, have lots of stuff worth importing, even if you're not a creepy otaku. Most importers I know don't care about visual novels or anime-licensed games and most aren't spending 100 bucks on their imports, so I don't think you know much about importing.

As for the DS discussion, I'm currently in region lockout hell myself. While I haven't really researched it, I would venture to guess that there are lots of DSi-enhanced games at this point. But if you want to talk 100% locked out of a foreign region, then it would only be those three aforementioned DSi-exclusive carts. Assuming the game can play on an older pre-DSi model, then it can play on ANY region of original DS or DS Lite. The older model has no way of detecting the lockout, as opposed to the DSi which will behave as if a game isn't inserted at all.

As for my problem, I bought Solatorobo, which is specifically DSi software despite that the only thing DSi about it is the ability to use a photo on the file selection screen. Even though I have an XL with its big, beautiful screens, it's a no-go, and I'm still in the process of trying to repair my old DS Lite. I ended up having to borrow a DS Lite to play Solatorobo, which was great, but now I have to deal with the issue of attempting to download the bonus missions with the DS Lite's outdated Wi-Fi abilities. The DSi supports WPA and WPA2, but the original DS and DS Lite are WEP only. I've been to two McDonalds and one Starbucks, and it appears that all of these places have upgraded their service since the days in which the older DS models would work there. I don't use WEP at home and don't want to either, so I'm a bit stuck. So there's yet another issue for importers forced to use older DS models to play DSi games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they should at least make say for example JP only games should have no region code so us western gamers can still play them. -without buying a second system- ((Mushihemesama LE on X-box 360)) the game is in japanese but hey, at least i can still play it on my Australian xbox without moding it.

Region codes and region exclusive games promote console moding/pirates