Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Tapper

The Slightly Boozy DP Game Generator (tm) has chosen the ColecoVision version of the game Tapper, but we'll open this up to any and all forms of the game.

Remember the arcade game? Two "tap" controllers and a bronze footrail (and commonly, a barstool to sit and play on)? Well that part of the experience will never be captured on the home versions, but for the most part the developers did a good job at bringing Tapper home. The funny thing is that while Tapper was represented initially with the Budweiser product, it appeared at home and arcades with a number of alternatives. See how many you can name!

What did you think of the game? What is your favorite version? What was your favorite stage? What is your favorite beer? OK forget that last one. But DO share your opinions of the game here.

DP Guide sez:

Tapper (ColecoVision, by Coleco) $12/R3 +
    Based on the 1983 Bally Midway coin-op. PERIODICALS: Listed as one of the "99 Favorite Classics" by Digital Press in 1997. SANTULLI SLANT: Since I started drinking beer at the age of 9, I have a pretty good appreciation of the main character in this game. Seriously, this is one of the most enjoyable video games ever produced. It's fast-paced, you have to make quick decisions (not the same thing), and the graphics and sound are truly charming. The beer theme (it was Budweiser in the arcades) was replaced by root beer, although the drink of choice appears to be Mountain Dew. That's video games for ya - always hiding the truth from the kids. [Gr: 10, So: 9, Ga: 10, Ov: 10] c1984 Bally Midway, Coleco. #2616.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of those games I discovered late. I got a C64 Tapper cartridge at the first NECG trademeet I went to, back in February of 2002. I love the game, but I have yet to try any of the other versions.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Tapper's definitly a favorite of mine from my days as a kid. I used to play this constantly anytime I found it. Once I discovered emulation (mostly CV and MAME) I started playing it often when I got the time. The music's catchy and it's one those games you can always come back to again and again.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I never really saw Tapper much in arcades. From what I remember, a big hullaballoo was made about it because it promoted drinking in minors.

And what do you know: these days I *love* beer (though I lothe Bud).

Anywho, the home version I had (and still do) is the Atari 8-Bit version. I think we had two versions actually - one with the actual "Bud" sponsorship, the other was more "Root Beer" oriented. I was okay at it but this is one of those games that, now that you've mentioned it, I'll probably fire up in MAME tonight

I wonder what the ubiquitous Sen. Leiberman would've thought about Tapper? Is only violence bad or would he attack booze too?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

You need to hunt out the tape/disc version of C64 Tapper Keir, as the cart version only has 2 stages of the 4 in there. Though unlike the disc/cart differences on Congo Bongo, the graphics are exactly the same, the extra memory allowed (16k max on the cart) just enabled the extra graphics etc required for the other 2 stages to be in memory.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never played a home version, but for those in the NE area, Playland arcade in Hampton Beach -still- has their Tapper game. It's just so great playing with the actual Tap joystick. I believe right next to it is 720, another one of my fav. arcade games as well. Fun place to go, as they mix in the classic stuff pretty heavily with the newer.

-AG

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easily one of my all time favorite games. Played it for the first time at Chuck E. Cheese (yes, the original Bud version) and got absolutely addicted to it (the game I mean ).

It's fantastic. Superb graphics, fast-paced gameplay with LOTS of things to keep track of, and it's full of clever and silly humor. Outstanding game.

And I think I like the "Punk Bar" rounds the best - they scream "1980s".
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the best arcade games iŽve ever played, very fun, with a great idea and cool graphics...iŽll give Tapper an 8 easily

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Tapper

They did a great job on the home versions of this. My favorite is the C64 version (the disk version). This version substitutes Mountain Dew for Budweiser. I intentionally make the bartender pick the wrong can of soda in the bonus stage because I like that spraying soda effect.

I have never played this game in an arcade. I've never even seen the arcade version.

ICE

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always loved this game, I remember playing it on my apple 2e when I was about 5

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite version is the CV version. I like how detailed the graphics are, especially the bartender. You can really see all the details, the pinstriped pants and all his great expressions and neat animations like when he gets slid down the bar. I also used to pick the wrong beer on purpose just to see him get dowsed. I never played this in the arcade but I had this game way back when on CV. I only discovered in the early or mid 90's that collecting the tips on the bar would temporarily freeze the patrons and play the can can song/organ grinder-cheerleaders-aliens.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easily one of my favorite games. I played it in the arcades also... some day I hope to own an arcade version. Right now I have the CV version, as well as the Atari 2600 version. My favorite of the 2 is the CV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

This is by far one of my favorite games. Used to play it all the time at the bars. Definately will be in my arcade collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the CV version is the only one I've played, but I loved it from the start.
    It took me a LONG time (I'm a bit slow!) to figure out you could run "up" the bar and pick up the tips the customers left you.
    I'd have to say my favorite part was always serving the aliens. Aliens, in a bar scene. I felt just like Princess Leia! *lol*

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So would there have been 3 different versions of tapper: regular Bud Tapper, Root Beer tapper and the one with Mountain Dew then?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    So would there have been 3 different versions of tapper: regular Bud Tapper, Root Beer tapper and the one with Mountain Dew then?
    Arcade versions include the original Budweiser version, Root Beer Tapper, and, outside of the US, a Suntory version.

Home versions generally served gamers Mountain Dew, with the exception of the ColecoVision version, which was a port of the Root Beer Tapper coin-op.

Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only ran into Tapper cabinets a few times back in the day, but I always thought that the bar gimmick was cool. These days I play the version emulated on the Playstation, which I believe is the "root beer" version. Either it's pretty hard on the defaults or else I'm just not very good. Wait--blame the stupid Playstation controller! Yeah, that's it. Loaded with 80s flavor, Tapper is the great tasting game that won't fill you up and never lets you down.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I only ran into Tapper cabinets a few times back in the day, but I always thought that the bar gimmick was cool. These days I play the version emulated on the Playstation, which I believe is the "root beer" version. Either it's pretty hard on the defaults or else I'm just not very good. Wait--blame the stupid Playstation controller! Yeah, that's it.
    Default settings are on the easy side, so you actually CAN blame the controller! You should be able to sling the root beer pretty quickly, so if that's not happening with the controller you've got now, you could always smash it on the nearest wall and swap it out with a new one (not that I've ever done that). But seriously - since the controller isn't the optimum arcade setup with the groovy beer taps on it, if you hold the button for a second instead of "tapping" it ( ) you'll probably fare a bit better. Kind of like slow-motion button tapping. Or something. And remember -- you don't have to be at the end of a bar before jumping to another one - you can grab the tip near the door of the bottom bar and from there jump directly to the top bar to catch that empty mug.

Loaded with 80s flavor, Tapper is the great tasting game that won't fill you up and never lets you down.
    Amen to that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Is it true that the ColecoVision version is missing the "Punk Rock" Bar scene?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey, I know those pictures! That's me! I've been doing that every damn day!

Doesn't it seem that a lot of games are just indoctination tools for kids? "Here's a game where you work in the service industry and never make any money." "Here's a game where you pack crates in a warehouse." Wierd.

Tapper is pretty cool, actually. Beer and games -- two of the essential food groups right there. If you could somehow add in women and loud music, everything would be perfect.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!