0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Default Genesis: From Boxes to Cases

So, we all know the situation. If you collect complete Genesis games you know there are some titles that you can't avoid that come in those crappy boxes. I'm fortunate enough that I only have three:

Sonic 3D
    Sonic & Knuckles
    X-Men 2

So, I want to scan in the front, rear, and side of each box. Then piece them together and print them out so I can create a slip cover that will slide into the hard snap cases. I already talked to Kinkos about this and they said that they can't help due to copyright issues.

So, I suppose my question is this. I need to know what paper to use to emulate the original paper used by Sega for their slip covers. Also, what kind of printer would you print it out on?

Any advice?

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Copyright issues shouldn't be a problem for your personal collection's games. Just don't sell 'em. ..lest you enjoy lawsuits (albeit from struggling companies).

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Yeah, I know. However, no printer will touch them so I'm trying to figure it out on my own.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Check out the Cover Project first, could end up saving you the time of making your own insert. http://www.thecoverproject.net/index.php

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Yeah, I know. However, no printer will touch them so I'm trying to figure it out on my own.
    Make friends with a copy-boy. It is the only logical choice.

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Check out the Cover Project first, could end up saving you the time of making your own insert. http://www.thecoverproject.net/index.php
    Oh wow!

That's one hell of a site. After looking over it I found X-Men 2 and Sonic 3D. Sadly, the one for Sonic & Knuckles was great save for the title on the site. They just used a standard font rather than the actual logo. It's like they just gave up. So I'll have to scan that one. It looks like they don't have Super Off Road either. I guess I can upload those when I'm done.

They also don't list what kind of paper to use. I would really love to know the type of paper originally used. I might just have to go to Office Max and see if I can find something similar.

Thanks for the link. That will come in VERY handy I think. I'm now debating about doing my 32X, SNES, NES, and N64 collections. I might even go for my Jaguar collection too.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitmusic View Post
    Make friends with a copy-boy. It is the only logical choice.
    You may be right.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just use normal printer paper when using the covers from Cover Project. You can basically use whatever printer paper you want, that's why they don't list a paper type.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh wow!

That's one hell of a site. After looking over it I found X-Men 2 and Sonic 3D. Sadly, the one for Sonic & Knuckles was great save for the title on the site. They just used a standard font rather than the actual logo.
    Always check the raw cover scans section on The Cover Project you may find something not uploaded to the main site. I uploaded a Sonic & Knuckles cover with the logo on the side that never got on the main site for some reason. Here it is if you want it: http://www.thecoverproject.net/uploa...ndknuckles.jpg
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Here's an update on the paper. I took the advice from another member here and went to Wal-Mart. They have some Kodak photo paper that's a little bit thicker and should work perfect. Ad it was only $6 for 25 sheets. Now I just need to make friends with someone with a color laser printer.

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    Always check the raw cover scans section on The Cover Project you may find something not uploaded to the main site. I uploaded a Sonic & Knuckles cover with the logo on the side that never got on the main site for some reason. Here it is if you want it: http://www.thecoverproject.net/uploa...ndknuckles.jpg
    Awesome, thanks a ton! That looks perfect! Being raw, I assume that means it's the original box size and not sized to fit a UGC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Photo paper with an ink jet printer will not match the quality of the off set printing done on the original. Why not just leave the boxes as-is, besides the top being red they still display nicely with the clamshell games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by gum_drops View Post
    Photo paper with an ink jet printer will not match the quality of the off set printing done on the original. Why not just leave the boxes as-is, besides the top being red they still display nicely with the clamshell games.
    I'm not using an ink jet printer. I will be using a laser jet printer. And I don't think the boxes display nicely with the cases. They're frail and usage will easily break them down. I play my games. This way I can put the boxes in a safe place.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an update on the paper. I took the advice from another member here and went to Wal-Mart. They have some Kodak photo paper that's a little bit thicker and should work perfect. Ad it was only $6 for 25 sheets. Now I just need to make friends with someone with a color laser printer.

Awesome, thanks a ton! That looks perfect! Being raw, I assume that means it's the original box size and not sized to fit a UGC?
    Actually it is UGC size,I printed it out and it fit perfectly well for me. Ask for your photo paper,be sure its laser printer safe otherwise it will melt in the printer.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I print covers all the time, but I was always unsatisfied with the quality of my printer. What I do now it put the JPGs on a thumb drive, then take it to Staples and have them print them off for me. They have some of the highest quality printers out there. As for the paper, I use their standard thickness.