Thread: 3DS is it worth it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally a new game system!!
    gonna get mine as soon as i can

Seriously, wii, 360 and ps3 are all getting old by now. good to see some new tech in the console/handheld market was gonna get a psp but not anymore.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I am seeing, games are being listed at $40. I'm not seeing $50 for any game yet.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    ...the PSP was being bashed from day one. Looks like most Nintendo fanboys are hypocrites.
    That first part, never happened. The last one is just projection. Go read some threads from 2005, if you dare.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's worth it to me to get it at launch because I'm sofa king we Todd Ed.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I don't need a $250 paperweight. Maybe once there are a few must have games. But right now, the must have list, based on previews, is at zero. I do want to give it a try once it comes out though.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Well, I had a bunch of Best Buy reward bucks from the Christmas holidays, so I ended up pre-ordering a black one. It only cost me $70. If I had to pay full price I probably wouldn't have done it.
    First off, let me say that I do not intend any personal disrespect to Graham Mitchell.

Now with that out of the way.... I just don't understand this line of thinking that says that if you're using gift cards or store credit, it's not like you're really paying anything. To me, that line of thinking is complete and utter bullshit. Don't get it wrong, I've used the same line of thinking myself, trying to convince myself that I didn't really pay full price for something because I used a gift card.

But the reality of the situation is that you are using real money. That 3DS that you're buying, could easily be sold on Ebay at launch, and you can convert all those Best Buy reward bucks into real cash. While it might be somewhat of a minor hassle to throw that 3DS onto Ebay, the fact remains that you can easily convert that 3DS to cash money. Not only that, but most people think that the 3DS will be very hard to come by at launch, and you could actually not only get all your money back, but actually walk away with a profit as well.

So, do realize that you aren't getting it for $70 of your own money.

Again, this isn't a personal attack at Graham Mitchell, like I said, I've used this logic myself to convince myself that I didn't really overspend on things, but the truth of the matter is that it's flawed logic.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    $50 games? Fuck that.
    This, pretty much. I remember when some GBA games were priced in that $40-50 range and I couldn't fathom it. I think the $50 price point is (hopefully!) temporary and the game prices are in the $29-39 range. Nintendo and Square-Enix will charge a premium for their titles while everyone else goes with the baseline price.

As for it being worth it...at $249.99, I half considered getting one at launch. I just took the Nestea plunge on a DSi XL so I'm a little hesitant to rush out and get a new system anytime soon. I dunno though, my mind might change in a few months so I can never tell.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

Again, this isn't a personal attack at Graham Mitchell, like I said, I've used this logic myself to convince myself that I didn't really overspend on things, but the truth of the matter is that it's flawed logic.
    Its true, of course. I basically look at this as a really unnecessary, luxury purchase. I'm doing well enough to afford a total splurge purchase occasionally. I'm just buying it cuz I can. And, as I stated earlier in the thread, I just kinda want to try the games.

The thing about using the Best Buy bucks is that it keeps most off the cost off of my credit card balance or checking account.

And, if I loathe the console and want to get rid of it, it won't be hard to at least get my money back.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll wait two years for the thing to drop to $100, then get one if the hackers have figured out how to mod it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I'll wait two years for the thing to drop to $100, then get one if the hackers have figured out how to mod it.
    Unless it completely tanks, it's not going to be $100 possibly ever, unless you mean used. The DS Lite is four years old and has always been $130 MSRP other than a couple of retailer sales at Christmas. The DS launched at $150 and only dropped to $130 when it was being phased out. If you're lucky, the 3DS might hit $200 in a couple of years, but only if a new version of the hardware comes out with bigger screens or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While I don't personally relish the thought of paying more for games, the fact that handheld games have reached the sophistication of console games is probably enough to justify a cost difference, as long as the game is up to the normal standards of quality we all expect from any particular title.

$250 for a 3DS certainly makes the PS3 look alot more reasonably priced to me, however I still want one if the tech is as good as it sounds (I always enjoyed red gram hologram cards as a kid, seeing a virtual one in full color come to life sounds fascinating).

Also, I only have the original fat DS with the low-grade screen, so if this one has a much brighter LCD then it would be worth it.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 01-21-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Unless it completely tanks, it's not going to be $100 possibly ever, unless you mean used. The DS Lite is four years old and has always been $130 MSRP other than a couple of retailer sales at Christmas. The DS launched at $150 and only dropped to $130 when it was being phased out. If you're lucky, the 3DS might hit $200 in a couple of years, but only if a new version of the hardware comes out with bigger screens or something.
    I mean used, yeah. I've gotten pretty much brand new DS Lite systems for under $50 thanks to craigslist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really understand the ambivalence about the price. The XL was almost $200 not long ago, and still is some places. The PSPGo tag was the same, and it was essentially a feature downgrade system with a price increase. I'm surprised that the 3DS is not $300 actually. At that point, price would cause me to balk. I'd rather put that towards a PS3 at this point.

All that said, I'm planning to buy one, unless I can't stand the 3D when I try a demo. I am more than willing to wait for some more games too. I waited for a killer discount deal before I got a DS the first time 'round. Maybe I can pull that one off again. Besides, the DS library at launch was pretty weak as well IIRC. Picked up after the first lull year, much like I experienced with the PS2.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I don't really understand the ambivalence about the price. The XL was almost $200 not long ago, and still is some places. The PSPGo tag was the same, and it was essentially a feature downgrade system with a price increase. I'm surprised that the 3DS is not $300 actually. At that point, price would cause me to balk. I'd rather put that towards a PS3 at this point.
    The issue here is that the DSi XL, while technically a DSi on crack, has huge screens which makes it a plus (for me at least). The 3DS basically goes back to the "inky dinky" screens the DSLite/DSi uses, which in my opinion is downgrading. At the very least use a bigger screen for the bottom, not the same small screen from the past. Having the top screen in 3D is fantastic...but why not make the bottom screen the same as the DSi XL? It will make the console "bulkier"? Then why even release the DSi XL if that's a factor?

The PSPGo...well...is that thing even still alive?

Also, if the $50 per game thing is true, that definitely makes me want to wait until the unit either lowers in price, gets a DSi XL like upgrade, or preferably both. No real need to get another console at this point either...quite content with what I have, though I understand not everyone is the same.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    First off, let me say that I do not intend any personal disrespect to Graham Mitchell.

Now with that out of the way.... I just don't understand this line of thinking that says that if you're using gift cards or store credit, it's not like you're really paying anything. To me, that line of thinking is complete and utter bullshit. Don't get it wrong, I've used the same line of thinking myself, trying to convince myself that I didn't really pay full price for something because I used a gift card.

But the reality of the situation is that you are using real money. That 3DS that you're buying, could easily be sold on Ebay at launch, and you can convert all those Best Buy reward bucks into real cash. While it might be somewhat of a minor hassle to throw that 3DS onto Ebay, the fact remains that you can easily convert that 3DS to cash money. Not only that, but most people think that the 3DS will be very hard to come by at launch, and you could actually not only get all your money back, but actually walk away with a profit as well.

Huh? I paid $45 in actual cash for the credit I'm using to buy mine. Therefore I'm spending $45 to get my 3DS. I don't see how that's not accurate....I'm only spending $45 of my own money to get it. Yes, I can resell it for more (and quite possibly will with the absolutely AWFUL launch lineup) but that doesn't mean I'm spending more than $45....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The term "Out-of-Pocket" could clear that up a bit for us all.

Yeah, I can see that, but you do have to consider scale of the screens ratios themselves and not just the size of the overall unit. A huge honking XL type touch screen under a comparatively small 3D wide just wouldn't mesh well. Plus, making that 3D screen big enough to look good and respectable with an XL sized touch could easily put the device somewhere in the "599 US Dollars" OMG-Gasp-land - Where cost becomes comedy.

As far as software price points... I'm going with $40 instead of $50 until some new info comes up. I'll probably own SSFIV3D (jeez, the SF abbreviations are getting retarded...) long before the system TBT.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-21-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I don't want it at launch, I might just get it at launch to resell on ebay. Hopefully I don't have to put in a preorder just to get one.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll wait for the 3DSi XL in 2-3 years time. I'll end up with a better handheld, cheaper games, and wider selection to choose from game-wise. I still have a lot of DS/PSP games that I've yet to play, but want to, so getting a 3DS now seems silly for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the system, not a great price, (200 would be fine) but i'll wait like i know i should until it drops to at least 179 and when someone mods it with a flash card..I know there will be 8 moderations and re releases of the system, but i'll stick with the original-unless an update has a major feature i'd invest in, and nothing like "9000 mega pixel camera!". Plus the library will be bigger and off topic, i really thought after having a DS Lite that the DS Fat model was better-it held better in my big hands..the DS Lite i get cramps in my hands and it feels kinda cheap, as well as the button placement is kinda balls for some games. The high point on Lite? The D pad. The shoulder buttons on the Lite stuck for me (as did tons for others)..

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

To be honest, I don't think buying a system at launch is EVER plausible. With a higher amount of games, lower price, it's all around smarter to buy later than sooner. I can't think of a single system where the launch titles were so good that it was worth buying the system itself at launch.

Waiting gives you more time to save money, and more time to focus on the games you already have.