Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought Terranigma, I have a few questions

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any hardware differences between the revisions of the PAR? Or is it just the bios that's flashed on there?

I'm tempted to reflash my PAR with newer code and see if it helps booting PAL games.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas View Post
    PAR MK2 works if the BIOS is 2.P or 2.T The BIOS version number is displayed on the title screen at bootup.
    True, but you can't save your progress apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I'm not sure if that would matter.
    Isn't the GB RAM separate from the SNES?

I know a SNES Game Genie, even if you don't use any codes, will cause the GB to run super-slow and without sound.
    Game Boy hardware is completely different than Super Nintendo hardware, but The Super Game Boy bios can be altered in the way any other Super Nintendo game can because it is Super Nintendo hardware in itself acting only as the video/audio CPU processing out and as a pass-through adapter, but for some reason the RAM codes won't let you change anything within the Super Game Bios even if you are using them on a PAR MK3 (maybe I don't have the latest bios version?) for some odd reason probably related to different memory addresses not being rendered as expected on hardware or that the PAR can't/doesn't know how to access these memory locations. Very few ROM codes will work on the bios (mostly anything below 0Fxxxx) and I'm still working such code types will work. I still have yet to get 7E0342 and 7E0F07 to work on real hardware as they would on SNES9x using the dummy value code to access either SGB 1 or 2 bios and to mess with them.

I would explain why the games run slow with no sound, but I'm far too lazy right now.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    True, but you can't save your progress apparently.
    Those BIOS versions work 100%, including saving. It's the PAR MK2 1.0 and 1.1 versions that won't save.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cool_boy_mew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also the Datel Programmable Adaptor that's supposed to work with Terranigma.

Obviously, they're all very rare and expensive and on Ebay you'll have to contact sellers. Those that list the BIOS or include "Works with Terranigma!" knows that those versions are highly sought after and those listing will be much more expensive than the others.

The 50/60hz switch mod is preferred ... if you can do it correctly, you can brick your Snes if it's not done correctly, which cost just about 60/80$ unless you're lucky and find one cheap at some random store or garage sell. Or I heard someone on the forum can do it for you, but it's what, 20$ for shipping and 20$ to return it, plus the cost of the work being done on it. And I'm not really comfortable with sending my Snes.

There's also the possibility of importing an european Snes, but yeah, 60/80$ + shipping, having to buy a power converter and a PAL to NTSC video converter too.

Another way would be reproduction carts, they're usually quite expensive at 50-80$ depending where you buy them. Plus it's not the original cart and you won't be able to play other European games (Like Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure)

It all depend on what you're willing to do/pay

Paid 100$ (including shipping) for a PAR MK3 from trollrx, should arrive this week, I can't wait
    Last edited by cool_boy_mew; 02-06-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I thought I'd give some info about getting Terranigma to work on an unmodified US console.

Like many later SNES games, Terranigma has a region check, and refuses to work if running on the wrong type of console (in this case a 60Hz console is the wrong type).

If you have fitted a 50/60Hz switch to your SNES there's no problem. You can power on in 50Hz mode then flip the switch once the title screen appears. But what if you don't want to modify your NTSC console?

As many people have discovered, using a universal converter/adapter -- the kind with two cart slots, one for a domestic game and another for the import game you want to play -- allows games like Terranigma to run. But you get a message on-screen saying the game is not designed for that type of console.

Adapters which somehow bypass region checks are hard to find. But you don't actually need one. Instead, use almost any universal adapter/converter and a Game Genie. You enter a specific code to disable the game's region check code. The code will vary depending on the game. So e.g. the code for Super Metroid will be different to the one for Terranigma.

I'll go and look up what the Game Genie code to enable Terranigma is.