Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better Console gaming or Pc gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which is better Console gaming or Pc gaming?

Id like to know cause Im thinking of getting a alienware , however that could go towards spending more cash on console stuff. Which do you think is superior? Mind you im only making judgement using one game black ops , I played the pc version very sharp graphics tried the 360 version very blurry.

Could the pc faithful tell me how it is vs console gaming (owning a 360)
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 02-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you have the necessary cash, a high-end gaming PC would be an awesome addition to anybodies gaming situation. Basically, the way you could look at it, is that it's lthe closest thing to playing a Xbox 720 or PS4. It's going to be quite some time before we get a new home console, so a really high-end PC is going to be a great stop-gap option. It's a very expensive stop-gap option, but I'm sure it will be something that you'll enjoy.

I was just hearing a Giant Bomb podcast the other day where one of the guys was talking about how Dead Rising 2's load times on the Xbox 360 can be horrendous. The other guy played it on a high-end PC and the load times were non-existent. It's little benefits like that, that you'll get with a decent gaming rig. The downside though, is going to be dealing with all the various driver headaches that are inevitable.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I do both. The main reason I game on a PC as well as the consoles is how many weird and interesting games never make it to the closed platforms. Amnesia, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cryostasis, Paradox Software's entire library, and so on. Steam makes the games hassle free to download and install, you can download them as many times as you want, and you can even get mods straight from the Steam store now.

Steam rules, by the way.

The one nice thing about consoles is that you'll never spend an hour trying to find a community made patch to make a new game work on your PC because SOME GODDAMN HARDWARE ERROR KEEPS CROPPING UP AND IT JUST... WON'T... RUN. Keeping your graphics card drivers updated can be a pain in the ass, and for a lot of genuine classic PC games, you're going to have to try and run it in compatibility mode or learn to hex edit game files(Vampire the Masquerade is an example). On the Xbox, assuming it doesn't overheat and die, you just turn it on. Sometimes, the PC can be a bit more complex.

And as always, the graphics on the PC blow the consoles out of the water. Crysis 2 looks like a pretty good shooter on consoles, and so does Metro 2033, but if you have a decent graphics card, plenty of RAM, and a nice processor with a wide bus, they look absolutely stunning on PC.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more important thing: don't let anyone tell you that voice chat is better on the PC than on Xbox live. They've obviously never played Counter Strike or League of Legends. Chat Douches appear wherever headsets thrive.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 02-02-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If people have a preference to First Person Shooters i would recomend pc everytime it does not even need to be high end if your playing catch up with slightly older games.
    I just prefer mouse to analogue stick for accuracy to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by jammajup View Post
    If people have a preference to First Person Shooters i would recomend pc everytime it does not even need to be high end if your playing catch up with slightly older games.
    I just prefer mouse to analogue stick for accuracy to be honest.
    This is also very very true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Id like to know cause Im thinking of getting a alienware , however that could go towards spending more cash on console stuff. Which do you think is superior? Mind you im only making judgement using one game black ops , I played the pc version very sharp graphics tried the 360 version very blurry.

Could the pc faithful tell me how it is vs console gaming (owning a 360)
    Why would you pay for an already-made high end PC? Alienware? Who the hell actually buys those things? Buy the parts yourself and build a mega gaming rig for 1/3 the price. That's what every PC gamer I've ever known does.

All it takes is a little research. You'll be much more satisfied with the end product if you build it yourself. Seriously...for $3000 you could build a system that would cost $10,000 with Alienware. Max out every option on their site and you'll see what I mean.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could buy an N64, just saying.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post

And as always, the graphics on the PC blow the consoles out of the water. Crysis 2 looks like a pretty good shooter on consoles, and so does Metro 2033, but if you have a decent graphics card, plenty of RAM, and a nice processor with a wide bus, they look absolutely stunning on PC..
    Oh yeah Im completely impressed by the crysis 2 multiplayer footage , that looks awesome. Metro 2033? I was playing that but I couldnt get my comp to max that shit out , I wonder if its even possible and afforable to play that game maxed out : P.

also this shit is awesome for graphics as well g boobie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDIQ17K5ciw
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Consoles. It's less of a hassle money-wise than a PC (no "oh, crap, Game XY requires a new video card AND possibly a new sound card" repeated every year or year and a half), generally better controls (sans using an adaptor to use console controllers on a PC), and it gives a better feeling of excitement when you see the console's hardware's full power get increasingly tapped into over its' time on the market.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Consoles. It's less of a hassle money-wise than a PC (no "oh, crap, Game XY requires a new video card AND possibly a new sound card" repeated every year or year and a half), generally better controls (sans using an adaptor to use console controllers on a PC), and it gives a better feeling of excitement when you see the console's hardware's full power get increasingly tapped into over its' time on the market.

Well if you overclock your PC it extends its life alot. I have been using a C2d E8500 cpu for almost three years now [at 4.5ghz] and it still tears up any PC game I throw at it. Im sure it can last another two years before needing to be replaced for PC gaming. Video cards are another subject all together...You will be paying $$ to keep up with them, but still, a top end card for $300 at its release will usually last 3 years with AA on at 60 fps.

Compared to consoles PCs are really not a whole lot more expensive if you buy quality parts for it. The quality parts will last a few years, the budget PCs are what screw people over and need upgrading a year later.

Anyways I obviously prefer PCS. But consoles I enjoy aswell and can see the attraction to them since they require zero maintenance [not counting the Xbox 360, two of those have died on me and MS did not honor the warranty..].

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah Im completely impressed by the crysis 2 multiplayer footage , that looks awesome. Metro 2033? I was playing that but I couldnt get my comp to max that shit out , I wonder if its even possible and afforable to play that game maxed out : P.

also this shit is awesome for graphics as well g boobie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDIQ17K5ciw
    Performance increased a ton for me disabling motion blur - ran in DX11 with an overclocked Radeon HD 5850 without any major complaints, but disabling MB made a huge difference.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consoles. It's less of a hassle money-wise than a PC (no "oh, crap, Game XY requires a new video card AND possibly a new sound card" repeated every year or year and a half)
    What PC games have been coming out that require you to upgrade your sound card every year?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gundam Deathscythe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC Gaming is far better than console gaming, have you played Fallout New Vegas?!? It was released on both PC and console and problems with the game were patched quickly on PC compared to not being patched on consoles.

Also did you see the link to Deus Ex: Human Revolution? That looks far better than anything I've seen on consoles.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

alienware
    NO. *whacks you* BAD RICHTER. BAD.

You can get a much better computer with less money than what Alienware charges for a mid-tier PC. Don't waste your money on them, either build your own or get someone to build one for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Personally, I do both. I prefer the PC for shooters and strategy games. Everything else I prefer on my consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    NO. *whacks you* BAD RICHTER. BAD.

You can get a much better computer with less money than what Alienware charges for a mid-tier PC. Don't waste your money on them, either build your own or get someone to build one for you.
    Yes, buying an Alienware is buying an over priced Dell. I've worked on a few of the newer ones and they REALLY went downhill since Dell bought them. They were over priced before. But at least they were built right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    What PC games have been coming out that require you to upgrade your sound card every year?
    I'd like to know this too. I've got a mid-range Radeon set up in my 2 year old Intel Quad Core (which I use for video editing, hence the multiple cores) and I'm able to run pretty much everything I had time to throw at it great. Looks better than consoles.

And sound? Um....I'm running a stock card and it does great. What difference, other than perhaps the option for better surround sound, would a new card make? This ain't the old days of 8 bit or 16 bit Sound Blaster or compatible cards and how scratchy one sounds.

I think the whole "upgrade every year" concept came about from those that crank up ALL the settings to the max. When a new game comes out that can actually go beyond the current maximum, they gotta have the new tech.

As for which is better....neither really. Some games play better on console, others better on PC. Besides, you're probably going to use your PC more than just for gaming, so don't get hung up with the console vs PC price comparisons. Like why buy a car when you can get a bike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Affordable, no! Even at medium settings though, it looks amazing. Some folks use Metro 2033 as the new performance benchmark for graphics cards now. God bless crazy Eastern Bloc developers.

I took the day Deus Ex HR releases off from work. I cannot wait.

OK, time to deal with an Enigmus.

Consoles. It's less of a hassle money-wise than a PC (no "oh, crap, Game XY requires a new video card AND possibly a new sound card" repeated every year or year and a half)
    What the Hell are you talking about? The time of replacing your video card once a year has been over for a LONG TIME. There's the odd game that demands an upgrade, but nearly everyone on my Steam list and circle of PC gaming friends has been using the same card for a year or two now. The prices for cards have dropped into the two to three hundred dollar range too, and they'll last you as long as any given 360 or PS3. My graphics card is pretty high end, and I paid two fifty for it a year ago. On the other hand, I'm on my fifth 360 and second PS3. I've actually spent LESS on PC gaming this generation thanks to shoddy console design and lead free solder.

In addition, thanks to consoles owning a substantial portion of the game buying market, most games are made with the limitations of console hardware in mind, making a PC port require that much less power. I'm playing Dead Space 2 on PC, with everything maxed out, and it looks incredible: my PC barely even registers it. It's a rare and ballsy PC game that demands the newest and best these days.

generally better controls (sans using an adaptor to use console controllers on a PC)
    I might listen to an argument about personal preferences here, but if you're trying to tell me that you can aim in Team Fortress 2 more efficiently with a controller than with a keyboard and mouse, you are a liar. It's all about the mouse and keyboard. Play TF2 on PC, and then play it on 360. It's not even the same game.

and it gives a better feeling of excitement when you see the console's hardware's full power get increasingly tapped into over its' time on the market.
    If you're telling me that you find satisfaction in games looking better and better over the course of the console life cycle, OK, I can buy that. It's weird, but it's not beastiality weird. I can live with it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone hasn't been around a PC for a long time.

I've been using a GTS 250 for over a year now (and it was mid - low end when I bought it) and the only game I haven't been able to run on max settings in 2048 x 1152 is Just Cause 2. It stutters.

The thing with getting a PC is, and you can't really argue this, it has a higher barrier to entry. It's still much more expensive to get a gaming rig than a PS3 or 360. Not nearly as much as it used to though. I say this as someone who only recently jumped into PC gaming.

Get a decent PC (even a pre-built gaming rig), download Steam and you're done. In fact, my PC is far more hassle free than my PS3. Downloads are quick and install automatically. Patches just appear in my games without having to do anything. My save files are part of the cloud so I can play all my games at work. My friends list is easily accessible while I'm gaming (I can even surf the internet, through Steam's overlay) while I'm chilling in a lobby waiting for a game to start. The PC is really idiot proof at this point.

Given the fact that, now, most console games need to patched just as often and can arrive DOA - the differences in user experiences are slight. Though, in my case, when a PS3 game needs to be patched I only find out when I go to play it. Then I need to wait through a long install + download before I can do anything.

On my PC? Meh, I don't think about it, because it usually just does its thing while I'm at work.

When it comes to upgrading you can really ignore it for as long as you can for a console. However, you might find yourself embracing it. I have. Building your computer and adding things to it give it that personal touch and it's just fun as hell. Like an RPG.

Then again, at this point the question is kind of moot. PC and Console game have fewer and fewer stylistic differences anymore and whether you game on PC or not mostly comes down to cash. But honestly, I think you'll find you can get yourself a pretty sweet gaming rig for little cash.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely agree with all of the comments about building a PC oneself. I just had a friend build an I7 based system with 6GB of RAM and a third tier video card (several steps above PS3 or 360) for less than $1000. Then the sandy bridge failure came to, but still.

I have a decent speed Athlon X2 based system with a similar quality video card and RAM and I have chosen to buy the PC version of every game released in the last two years on consoles. I use my 360 game pad to play them with the wireless adapter (which I had to solder to repair).

Microsoft will not allow me to crack the case on my XBOX, they will not even let me pay them to repair the hardware afterward. They did repair my 360 three times for free due to the 3RL error though. Sony, well, unless their ways have changed, expect the Bluray drives and "Yellow Light" error to start increasing in rate and for Sony to do nothing for their faithful consumers.

I would also like to ask the OP, do you consider emulation, Xbox Live Arcade or PSN part of the question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I do both. The main reason I game on a PC as well as the consoles is how many weird and interesting games never make it to the closed platforms. Amnesia, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cryostasis, Paradox Software's entire library, and so on. Steam makes the games hassle free to download and install, you can download them as many times as you want, and you can even get mods straight from the Steam store now.

Steam rules, by the way.

The one nice thing about consoles is that you'll never spend an hour trying to find a community made patch to make a new game work on your PC because SOME GODDAMN HARDWARE ERROR KEEPS CROPPING UP AND IT JUST... WON'T... RUN. Keeping your graphics card drivers updated can be a pain in the ass, and for a lot of genuine classic PC games, you're going to have to try and run it in compatibility mode or learn to hex edit game files(Vampire the Masquerade is an example). On the Xbox, assuming it doesn't overheat and die, you just turn it on. Sometimes, the PC can be a bit more complex.

And as always, the graphics on the PC blow the consoles out of the water. Crysis 2 looks like a pretty good shooter on consoles, and so does Metro 2033, but if you have a decent graphics card, plenty of RAM, and a nice processor with a wide bus, they look absolutely stunning on PC.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more important thing: don't let anyone tell you that voice chat is better on the PC than on Xbox live. They've obviously never played Counter Strike or League of Legends. Chat Douches appear wherever headsets thrive.
    You don't really have to update you graphics drivers, very few games will require something new and most people will happily live on the same drivers for years (just cause they're new doesn't mean they're better). I also pretty much never have any errors when I try to run games, I think your overselling it a bit.... Also mostly just older/cult/obscure games have 3rd party patches that "complete" games (vampire the masquerade does have a bunch :P). I've never had to use a hex editor on a game, ever. Including vampire the masquerade.

Windows defaults compatibility mode if it needs it doesn't it? I've never had to go tell it to run something in compatibility mode and I play tons of classic pc games. Getting patches is pretty useful (the official ones). dosbox if you wanna play anything like commander keen but PC gaming is actually really easy....

@ OP. PC Gaming is real nice, and I prefer it almost all the time, but there are some games that are just better on the console, like fighting games ;p Action adventures usually as well, jrpgs and the like. But for FPS, RTS, and MMO PC hands down blows consoles outa the water, 3rd person games are decent on both. Also don't buy a computer from alienware, you'll just get overcharged like a motherfucker. If you don't wanna slap it together yourself (pretty easy if you feel like looking it up) go with somewhere like cyberpowerpc if you can't get someone to build it for u.
    Last edited by dao2; 02-03-2011 at 06:11 PM.