Thread: Recommend me a basketball game for PS2

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recommend me a basketball game for PS2

I've been having the itch to play a basketball game lately, but I really don't have a clue which one I should pick up. I want one that plays well, but I want a bunch of custimization options (being able to create players, teams, etc) and I want one where I can basically run the team (draft players, trade players, etc.) It's been a long time since I've played a modern basketball game, so I'm assuming about all of them have these features, but which one does it best?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It'd help to know how current you want it to be. Are you just looking for something made in the last couple of years or anytime in the PS2 life cycle?

I'm going to give you older titles that are easier to play but still have a good fun factor today.

If you like more arcade-style basketball, my favorite was NBA Live 2003. This was before EA made the game overcomplicated in later years. The earlier NBA Live's for PS2 were still finding their legs.

As for the Sega/2K games, I'd suggest NBA 2K2. The features are a little bare, though. If you'd rather have a more fleshed out franchise mode, I'd say ESPN NBA 2K5.

My favorite b-ball game period on PS2 was NBA Shootout 2004 from 989 Sports.

Otherwise Konami's NBA games weren't too bad. ESPN NBA 2Night 2002 and NBA Starting Five.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

i'm more of a street ball arcade basketball game kinda guy

so my pick to give to you is
    the NBA Street series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-nq7eB1hI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions both of you. I don't really mind how current or not to game is, all that matters is if it has everything I'm looking for. I'll look into those three games for sure though, thanks.

I have NBA Street on GC and really like it, but I'm looking for something more traditional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you like more arcade-style basketball, my favorite was NBA Live 2003. This was before EA made the game overcomplicated in later years. The earlier NBA Live's for PS2 were still finding their legs.
    Seconded, though NBA Live 2004 wasn't bad. I'm still playing NBA Live 2003 to this day.

As for 2K, I say the series peaked with 2K3. Afterwards it got way too complex, complicated, and TOO REAL (especially on 360/PS3) to be enjoyable for me.
    Last edited by Cloud121; 02-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Seconded, though NBA Live 2004 wasn't bad. I'm still playing NBA Live 2003 to this day.

As for 2K, I say the series peaked with 2K3. Afterwards it got way too complex, complicated, and TOO REAL (especially on 360/PS3) to be enjoyable for me.
    As you recall, NBA Live 2003 had a fast-paced run and gun style of basketball, which made for a very fun video game. High scoring, high flying, nonstop action. I still play it today myself.

The trouble with NBA Live 2004 was that they really cut back on that style, though like you said it was still a "good" game in general. I enjoy it for what it is but I don't like the drastic change in style when compared to Live 2003.

I should have also nominated NBA 2K3. God, Iverson is unstoppable in that one. I did enjoy NBA 2K5 with the feature where a different player would come talk to the coach every week about playing time, the team won-loss record, etc. and you'd have to come up with the right response for him. I thought it was a pretty good feature.

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collector View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions both of you. I don't really mind how current or not to game is, all that matters is if it has everything I'm looking for. I'll look into those three games for sure though, thanks.

I have NBA Street on GC and really like it, but I'm looking for something more traditional.

Thanks for considering my suggestions. I picked those older ones in particular because you can get ahold of all of them for $2 or less from pretty much any video game store you go into, including Gamestop.

Thus you could try everything I recommended for under $10.

Personally I think you'll be safe with nearly everything released between 2002-2004. Anything newer than that tends to have overcomplicated control schemes.

Here's what comes to mind, not a fully comprehensive list but it should do:

-NBA Live 2002 (EA Sports): It is all right but plays a little too much like the NBA Live games on PS1. It is certainly worth 99 cents, though.

-NBA Live 2003 (EA): An arcade style game with a lot of offense and not a lot of defense, except it is technically a basketball sim. Probably my favorite b-ball game on the PS2 and there are some amusing cutscenes before tipoff, during halftime and after the game.

-NBA Live 2004: Dials down the offense compared to the previous year with a greater focus on defense and more methodical scoring drives.

-ESPN NBA 2Night 2002 (Konami): Lackluster graphics, enjoyable commentary from Stuart Scott, unorthodox control scheme but with a little time it becomes more fun.

-NBA Starting Five (Konami): Follow-up to the previous Konami game above. Better graphics, better control scheme, lots of trades and roster moves by computer teams, players tire very quickly requiring frequent substitutions, computer players block A LOT of shots unless you are careful with your shot selection.

-NBA Shootout 2004 (989 Sports): The only good NBA game that 989 Sports did on the PS2. They have a feature allowing you to unlock 50+ legends by achieving certain statistical accomplishments with various NBA players, usually a player from the same team that the NBA legend you are trying to unlock played on. Easy to pick up and play. I'd recommend experimenting with different camera views. Also the substitution process is more complicated than it probably should be. Otherwise a very enjoyable game that hardly anyone played or purchased on account of 989's poor reputation with PS2 sports games, which is too bad.

-NBA 2K2 (Sega Sports): The most realistic basketball sim on the PS2, at least early in the PS2's life. Has a franchise mode, which unfortunately is very thin in features. However, it has good graphics, solid player introductions, good commentary and user friendly controls.

-NBA 2K3 (Sega): Slightly improved version of the previous year's game with a deeper franchise mode.
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

The one and only NBA Street

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome, bangtango, thanks a ton for all the info. It really does help!

@TheGam3r I do enjoy NBA Street but I'm looking for something traditional.