Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What was wrong with the Gamecube?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't remember a Xbox Live starter disc in the starter kits I purchased, but I probably just wasn't looking for it so I've forgotten it (I just remember a disc that gave access to Xbox Live Arcade, was the software included on the same disc)? And it's been well over half a decade since I subscribed to Xbox Live. Perhaps the starter disc came with my console or was already factory installed on systems by that point (Xbox Live was up and running well before I became a Xbox owner in late 2004)?

I just know that I first accessed Xbox Live through either RalliSport Challenge 2 or Project Gotham Racing 2 (Both Xbox Live enabled), which likely had the necessary system software included on the disc to patch in Xbox Live support to the system dashboard if it wasn't already factory installed. Entered the trial code along with a credit card and I was subscribed to Xbox Live and have been there ever since. Never bought a starter kit and got a headset until several years went by.

Either way, I wasn't out to contradict you nor underplay the role that companies like Sega played in getting us to this point (Although I do think it was Microsoft that ultimately popularized online multiplayer on home consoles, I can remember playing things like Daytona USA 2001 online when new and it was usually the same small group of people everyday, not the large communities we saw on Xbox Live). I was just giving my own impressions of that time period as a gamer and Xbox owner that played on Xbox Live. It seemed like it took off and was quite popular by the time the 360 was released. Also, you're forgetting there are far many more Xbox 360's out there than there ever were of Xbox's, and your own point about the growth of broadband since those days. Makes being 10% of last year's Xbox Live installed base seem a bit more impressive for mid 2005, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-16-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

The lack of dvd capabilities, weak 3rd party support, and child friendly marketing and look all contributed to Nintendo taking third place that console generation. It really was a machine that few outside of the Nintendo Gospel really enjoyed.

I know that personally the only things that appealed to me about the Gamecube were the exclusive Resident Evil titles (One, and Zero) and the Twin Snakes. I don't particularly care for the Nintendo Gold Standards of Mario and Zelda(with a dash of metroid and starfox every once in a while). There wern't any other games on the system that really made me want to throw down the cash back then. Nintendo for some reason felt like it needed to keep (or regain however you see it) its child friendly atmosphere while the market had shifted hard into the young adult male gamer ever since the PS1.

It comparatively failed because they were still relying on that old demographic of children and the Nintendo Faithful, thus alienating other gamers, which in turn led to lower sales, and less third party support. The only reason the wii has been such a huge success is because they opened up a whole new demographic of people who had never really been gamers before. The gamecube was a great system for its time, but it was an example of Nintendo sticking to their guns for better or worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GameNinja View Post
    I don't think there was anything "wrong" with the gamecube, I just think there were a combination of factors, not to mention the PS2's relative strength. I read somewhere that part of the reason why PS2 sold well from the beginning was indeed due to its DVD player (and whoever says that you should just buy a DVD player instead of a PS2-at PS2's release DVD players were just as expensive as the PS2). Interestingly, the release of the PS2 was very close to the DVD release of The Matrix which was one of the first "must have" DVDs and it helped sell the system initially just as much as any game did.
    DVD was a big selling point in the beginning (I already had a DVD player when I'd bought my PS2), but the hype of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 were pretty big. You also had a ton of gamers that enjoyed the original Playstation, so it was almost a no-brainer to buy its followup.

I'd bought a Gamecube 2 weeks after its launch, but I still had a bad taste in my mouth from the N64. Sure, a lot of kids enjoyed the 4 player gaming the N64 offered, but to me it was a system catered towards kids and really didn't offer a ton of adult orientated games. Yeah, I enjoyed Rogue Squadron, F-Zero, Ogre Battle 64 and Mario 64, but I was not impressed by games like Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day or Super Smash Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    I bought a Gamecube at launch. I stubbornly held out hope for THE game that made it worth buying... but when it never came, I gave up and bought an Xbox.
    I bought a Gamecube because of Rogue Squadron 2. It was a very impressive game, and I still feel it was one of the best looking games of that generation of consoles. Metroid Prime and RE4 were also must play games, but the system still didn't have as many great titles as the other 2 consoles.

The biggest problem in my eyes was the lack of any decent online games beyond PSO. I played the ever living crap out of PSO, at least until the exploits that corrupted your save came along and some loser wiped out my characters, but I digress. Xbox had online support. PS2 had... some... online support. Gamecube released the broadband adapter and PSO, and then promised more in the future. Still waiting. Even the Wii has horrible online compared to Sony and MS's last-gen offerings. Being a primarily online gamer these days, I have zero interest in Nintendo anything anymore. Nintendo missed the online boat with the Gamecube, and has since been trying to catch up by swimming while everyone else is using a motor.
    PSO III: C.A.R.D Revolution, also had online play, but I've never bothered to even open up the game to try it out.

The Gamecube did many things wrong from the start. The system should of had a broadband adaptor either built into the system, or sold for really cheap. The first memory cards were only 65 blocks and they only held a couple of game saves, before you had to shell out the cash for additional cards. The Component cable was only available through Nintendo's online store, and I didn't get mine until the system was already dead at retail.

The Gamecube is, more than likely, the last console I will own from Nintendo. I may buy a Wii, when they're available in bargain bins for $50, but Nintendo doesn't care about the adult gamers that enjoyed the NES and SNES back in the day. The Wii certainly showed many that they don't care about the past gamers.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 08-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    The Wii certainly showed many that they don't care about the past gamers.
    They made many classic throwback games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Punch-Out!! for the Wii, I just don't see how you can say this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSN View Post
    They made many classic throwback games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Punch-Out!! for the Wii, I just don't see how you can say this.
    3 years later. Oh yeah, we remember you!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    PSO III: C.A.R.D Revolution, also had online play, but I've never bothered to even open up the game to try it out.
    You're right. I totally forgot about that game. Yeah, I got that too, I was disappointed, but I remember some people liked it. I'm not into Yu-Gi-Oh style card games, so I am probably not the target demographic Sonic Team was shooting for. The online was pretty barren from what I remember.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Main problems I saw for the GameCube with my own eyes were:

1. A failure to have more third-party games that made it onto the PS2 and Xbox but never the Cube. Not necessarily Nintendo's fault, though.

2. Games that were also released on the PS2 and/or Xbox were usually more difficult to find on the Cube and when you did find them, they were more expensive than on other systems.

Otherwise, the system certainly leaves a small footprint compared to an Xbox 1. That's hardly a good qualifier for success, of course, but I always saw it as a positive trait for the Cube.

I don't think the controller is that bad and I think the Cube definitely has the best opening menu screen of the three last-gen systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Belmont008's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    MrReeves008

Quote Originally Posted by JSN View Post
    Because they are cash-ins not throwbacks. Donkey Kong Wii & Punch-Out Wii are played using the stupid wii-mote mechanics. I don't feel like I'm playing Punch-Out!! when I'm playing punchout wii, just feels like some stupid wii boxing game with the punchout name on it. And donkey kong had some potential, but I couldn't get over having to shake the stupid wii-mote in order to roll when on the Super Nintendo I just had to hold the direction and press a button. These weren't necessarily bad games but it is true that nintendo didn't care about their old fan base of gamers when they released the wii. They're a business and they wanted to make money after losing the last two rounds.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Belmont008's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    MrReeves008

Oh, and the Gamecube was awesome. It has a fantastic library of games. As much of a Sony fanboy that I am, the cube was my favorite system of that generation. I bought one solely for Metroid Prime and for nearly a month straight that game rocked my world. Smash bros, Twin snakes, Zeldas. There were even odd little titles that proved to be extremely entertaining like Animal Crossing & Beyond good and Evil. It was a fun little console that had plenty of depth without having to be as serious as THE XBOX AND PLAYSTATION 2!!!! Plus Monkey ball rules.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont008 View Post
    I don't feel like I'm playing Punch-Out!! when I'm playing punchout wii, just feels like some stupid wii boxing game with the punchout name on it.
    NES style, feel like a champ. Stop doing it wrong.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mainly at the time it was the lack of DVD support and a kiddy image. Although, I really enjoyed that system. The controller took a minute to get used to, but next to the 360 controller it is the best one I have ever used. I will still tear up some Super Monkey Ball

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who is going for a complete Gamecube set and is currently at 272 games, I can tell that the Gamecube has an excellent library. One of the beauties of going for a complete set is that you'll encounter excellent games you probably wouldn't give a second thought to otherwise. Two years ago I clocked in almost 60 hours on Baten Kaitos. Glad I wasn't in college yet at the time. Back in December I finally played RE 4 and spent 8 hrs/night for a week to finish it. That NEVER happens. I've been amazed at how many good licensed games there actually are from that generation: Lego Star Wars 1+ 2, Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone, Cars, Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer (underrated Beat em up), Chronicles of Narnia and King Kong. Anyone who says there hasn't been good licensed games since the 16-bit days aren't really looking hard enough. This summer I've enjoyed Geist, Frogger Beyond, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and right now I'm currently thrilling to Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue.

Yeah, I know most of the titles I mentioned are not exclusives, but you know what? The Gamecube was the system that I played them on. That's where I enjoyed them and that's where my experience lies. I'd recommend those games to anyone regardless of the platform. There are plenty of games to enjoy, you just really need to be more open minded once in a while. The games are dirt cheap now too.

The Dreamcast seems like an odd comparison. Don't get me wrong I've owned that console since launch week and It was distressing to read in Time of Kids (I was in 4th grade at the time) that Sega was discontinuing the machine. That system however, did not have the retail life of the Gamecube and surely not the library size.

People will throw the argument "the gamecube failed because it placed 3rd in console sales" at the faces of supporters. Well...it's a 3 way race, someone has to place last. I don't know if the Gamecube turned a profit but if we're discussing quality, why should sales figures matter? You wouldn’t base a movie’s quality by how much it made at the box office would you? By that logic Transformers 2 would be one of the greatest films of all time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't give my cube as much love as I should, there really isn't much wrong with it at all. Nintendo could have supported the GBA/ereader tie ins better, they were cool features. I didn't then and still don't care the slightest about online anything, so that really isn't an issue. Don't mind the different colors, they just were weak compared to what we got with the N64.

I'll tell you what they did right, Gameboy Player and made a rugged little machine. All makers of disc systems should take note.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post
    As someone who is going for a complete Gamecube set and is currently at 272 games, I can tell that the Gamecube has an excellent library. One of the beauties of going for a complete set is that you'll encounter excellent games you probably wouldn't give a second thought to otherwise. Two years ago I clocked in almost 60 hours on Baten Kaitos. Glad I wasn't in college yet at the time. Back in December I finally played RE 4 and spent 8 hrs/night for a week to finish it. That NEVER happens. I've been amazed at how many good licensed games there actually are from that generation: Lego Star Wars 1+ 2, Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone, Cars, Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer (underrated Beat em up), Chronicles of Narnia and King Kong. Anyone who says there hasn't been good licensed games since the 16-bit days aren't really looking hard enough. This summer I've enjoyed Geist, Frogger Beyond, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and right now I'm currently thrilling to Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue.

Yeah, I know most of the titles I mentioned are not exclusives, but you know what? The Gamecube was the system that I played them on. That's where I enjoyed them and that's where my experience lies. I'd recommend those games to anyone regardless of the platform. There are plenty of games to enjoy, you just really need to be more open minded once in a while. The games are dirt cheap now too.

People will throw the argument "the gamecube failed because it placed 3rd in console sales" at the faces of supporters. Well...it's a 3 way race, someone has to place last. I don't know if the Gamecube turned a profit but if we're discussing quality, why should sales figures matter? You wouldn’t base a movie’s quality by how much it made at the box office would you? By that logic Transformers 2 would be one of the greatest films of all time.
    When you compare the Cube strictly to the PS2 or Xbox, there are some holes here and there in the Cube library. However, there are plenty of threads around this place in which people sing the praises of systems with a much smaller game library than the GameCube.

Your third place comment is a very good point that a lot of people tend to forget. Whether there are ten companies in the mix or only three, there isn't anything "wrong" with third place. Especially if your profit margin is good and you are not producing a far greater amount of product than you are actually selling.

If a company doesn't think "too big" about their position in the marketplace, "3rd place" can be pretty darn comfortable.

Besides, plenty of 1st and 2nd place companies who may have the most "units sold/shipped" and would appear to be experiencing smooth sailing are very capable of running themselves into the ground literally overnight.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I still don't understand the hate. IMO, GameCube is Nintendo's Dreamcast.
    Me neither, to be honest. Lot of good stuff still cheap right now. Dreamcast... To a certain extent, I can see that. Had a rampant fanbase right there, day one. Came out rather strong vs the predecessor (in my eyes anywho)... I do think it's more Sega console comparable to the Saturn in the sleeper cult sense, but that has yet to be seen. Maybe the Wii BC could temper that somewhat. We'll have to wait to see how the platform fairs once it finally achieves retro status. I haven't looked much at the import selections for GC (basically Star Soldier and that's it) like I did for Saturn years before the DC.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont008 View Post
    Punch-Out Wii are played using the stupid wii-mote mechanics. I don't feel like I'm playing Punch-Out!! when I'm playing punchout wii, just feels like some stupid wii boxing game with the punchout name on it.
    Like was said above.. that's your own problem for choosing the waggle control scheme.

That game has a control option you know.. change it to good old buttons.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Things I didn't like about the Gamecube.

The controller. Gah the controller, maybe i was unfortunate but the first game I played on the GC was Soul Calibur and I quit playing due to the controller. It was awful for a fighting game...But I bought the GC for Paper Mario, and thats still the only game I still own for it. Great game btw.

Besides the controller it was a good system, but it was not in the same league as the PS2. On a hardware scale I believe it was more powerful, but sales alone deemed the GC [and Xbox] to being second rate at best...You cant compete with 150 million PS2's sold vs 30 million GC/Xbox. The AAA devs were going to go to Sony no matter what. And those AAA devs could turn a PS2 game into a gorgeous game despite it being a weaker system...

Considering that, its funny that despite the Wii having so many sales, the AAA devs have their best wares on the PS3 and Xbox 360, go figure that one out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamecube had 2 problems that caused it to fail. First it simply had very few great games aside from a few first party titles. It had no decent 3rd party support cuz everyone jumped shipped to Sony and to a lesser extent Xbox. With the N64 Nintendo pretty much cemented itself as a "kiddie console" company and that's why huge 3rd party franchises like GTA, MGS, and the million shooters out there are almost non existent on Nintendo consoles to this day. Second reason, it looks like a Fisher Price lunch box.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

it needed more cowbell.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    The Gamecube had 2 problems that caused it to fail. First it simply had very few great games aside from a few first party titles. It had no decent 3rd party support cuz everyone jumped shipped to Sony and to a lesser extent Xbox. With the N64 Nintendo pretty much cemented itself as a "kiddie console" company and that's why huge 3rd party franchises like GTA, MGS, and the million shooters out there are almost non existent on Nintendo consoles to this day. Second reason, it looks like a Fisher Price lunch box.
    I think the black GameCube model, especially with the GBP attached, is a pretty attractive system. Who ever notices the handle on the back anyways when it's setup?

And GTAIII and Vice City aside, I don't think that's very accurate. And I really wouldn't consider MGS a multiplatform franchise, even though both the GCN and the Xbox each recieved a single MGS release. From launch in 2001 until the lights started to dim in 2004 or so, the GameCube seemed to get very healthy support from 3rd parties that were multiplatform that weren't focused on a single platform (Like some big Japanese publishers were with the PS2).

Most games that were on both the Playstation 2 and the Xbox back then also made an appearance on the GameCube during that time. It certainly had decent 3rd party support for a good while. And it blew away the far more successful Nintendo 64 and Wii (In terms of systems sold) when it came to 3rd party support.

Someone in 2003 or so would've done well with just the GameCube, beyond the natural loss of the Sony and Microsoft 1st and 2nd party releases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-20-2011 at 07:47 PM.