Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: PSP now $130

  1. #1
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default PSP now $130

    Starting today this is the regular price, making it the same price as the DS Lite, and in my opinion. In my opinion the PSP has a much better software line up than any system on the market today, the DS not being that much behind.

    I just picked it up a 3000 on the Amazon sale recently, but now everyone can pick one up for that price. If you haven't picked one up yet then at this price you should just go out and get one.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  2. #2
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,878
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    While I prefer the DS (I'd say I roughly own two DS games for every PSP game), it's certainly a very nice system with a lot of nice exclusives.

    There's no reason to not experience it if someone hasn't at this point. Games are very cheap and the price of a PSP si very reasonable at $130.

    Did the Go see it's price reduced?

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey USA
    Posts
    7,498
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

    Default

    Still too much when I have a 1000 that I rarely use.

  4. #4
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    Frankie_Says_Relax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Posts
    7,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Did the Go see it's price reduced?
    I don't think Sony did an official/marketed one, but I've seen it lower than original MSRP pretty much everywhere that has them in stock.

    As much as I like the Go, I'd say at that price a 3000 with a big Memory Stick is the better buy for a 1st time PSP owner.

    There are a shit ton of great PSP games on the PSN that are around the < $10 - $15 range and where you won't be able to use UMDs on the NGP Sony has confirmed that downloaded PSP software will carry over.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"


  5. #5
    Peach (Level 3) xfrumx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Morgantown, WV/Washington, PA
    Posts
    673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

    Default

    I still love my 1000 I got for $30 a couple years ago but if I needed a PSP I would purchase this right now!

  6. #6
    Banana (Level 7) fahlim003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The sinking old sanctuary
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Still too much when I have a 1000 that I rarely use.
    When you have a 1000 that sees it's primary use as a GBA emulator... yeah, $130 is good but not must buy good - not even close. I like the PSP but I paid $40 for my 1000 and to be honest I'm glad I didn't spend much beyond that. Having said that I'd never purchase a DS, and I do think the PSP has good software but it's the homebrew that really interested me and 3000s aren't quite there yet as far as CFW is concerned.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

    9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

  7. #7
    Pac-Man (Level 10) RCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I'm waiting for retailers to move PSP Go for $80 or less. It'll be fun to install emulators and the PSP games I already dropped money on.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

  8. #8
    Kirby (Level 13) megasdkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,224
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Starting today this is the regular price, making it the same price as the DS Lite, and in my opinion. In my opinion the PSP has a much better software line up than any system on the market today, the DS not being that much behind.

    I just picked it up a 3000 on the Amazon sale recently, but now everyone can pick one up for that price. If you haven't picked one up yet then at this price you should just go out and get one.
    While I love my PSP (excellent games for it), I have to admit that the DS Library is far superior in almost every aspect. There is more variety than on the PSP, but at the same time, lots more trash. But besides that, both consoles are excellent and should deserve a purchase.

    I won't pick one up because I already did back in December with the Amazon bundle/credit offer (Little Big Planet and Karate Kid for the same price, plus $15 credit on my next order), but for the new price, it's definitely a pick up.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

  9. #9
    Peach (Level 3) Swamperon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    759
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I'll wait till the NGP comes out and then prices should drop even further as well as the games.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

  10. #10
    I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    PapaStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Posts
    8,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Still too much when I have a 1000 that I rarely use.
    +1000

    I've got a good chunk of PSP games, that I never play. I don't even know what my firmaware is, but I'm pretty sure its not seen any updates since Rock Band Portable, and before that it'd been a year+ without any updates.

    Just did some fast math, I've got 5.2 DS games to every PSP game I own... and I own over 80 PSP games... that are never played.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

  11. #11
    Pear (Level 6) retroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,260
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

    Default

    i have one since day one, but why would anyone want to buy a system on its way out..With it better younger bro around the corner.

  12. #12
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Dark World
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    i have one since day one, but why would anyone want to buy a system on its way out..With it better younger bro around the corner.
    Assuming there isn't a heavy focus on online gaming, isn't that the absolute BEST possible time to purchase a game system?

    The system is at it's cheapest, it has the largest library of games to choose from in the dawn of it's commercial run, most of the games are extremely inexpensive, and you can get the best possible version of the hardware.

  13. #13
    Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    RadiantSvgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,619
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

    Default

    I'm really waiting for it to hit under $100. Now that the YS games are on the US shores, I have a reason to own it.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

  14. #14
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Tupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,470
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    I'm really waiting for it to hit under $100. Now that the YS games are on the US shores, I have a reason to own it.
    Same. Once the NGP comes out later this year, that's when I'll consider buying a PSP.

  15. #15
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Just did some fast math, I've got 5.2 DS games to every PSP game I own... and I own over 80 PSP games... that are never played.
    Yeah, so you don't own many PSP games and the PSP has hardly any games in comparison to the amount the DS has, but at 400 DS games, how many of those aren't complete garbage? I'd say 25% at the most are good or even decent games.

    I collect, but if I don't like the game I sell it. There are still some PSP games that I want that I'm missing, but right now I have 60 PSP. There's atleast 50 there that are worth owning in my opinion. The DS I have about the same amount I own and I think are worth owning. The systems are fairly equal with the amount of good titles, but I like most of the PSP titles a bit more than many of those on the DS.

    Now that the PSP is this price, I just don't see the reason that everyone here doesn't own both a DS and a PSP. I'd understand if you have some sort of major backlog, but alot of you are just waiting for the system to be much lower than the price of the DS and for what reason? Because your opinion of it as a poor system? I think it's more of a dislike of the system just because you don't own it and don't want to support it until it's completely dead.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-28-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  16. #16
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,878
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I agree

    It's hard to imagine someone owning 400 worthwhile DS games. I could see reaching at least 100 with a relative amount of ease. But 400?

  17. #17
    Peach (Level 3) Swamperon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    759
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Now that the PSP is this price, I just don't see the reason that everyone here doesn't own both a DS and a PSP. I'd understand if you have some sort of major backlog, but alot of you are just waiting for the system to be much lower than the price of the DS and for what reason? Because your opinion of it as a poor system? I think it's more of a dislike of the system just because you don't own it and don't want to support it until it's completely dead.
    Fanboy/troll logic much?

    Perhaps we just don't have the spare funds to buy a PSP + games in addition to a DS and home consoles? Some of us have things other than video games which we spend our money on.

    I already have enough of backlog of games to wade through. There are a ton of DS/Wii/PS3 games I want to buy. PSP is near the bottom of my wants. Waiting until the price will inevitably drop later this once the NGP comes out is just common sense.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

  18. #18
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Dark World
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Yeah, so you don't own many PSP games and the PSP has hardly any games in comparison to the amount the DS has, but at 400 DS games, how many of those aren't complete garbage? I'd say 25% at the most are good or even decent games.

    I collect, but if I don't like the game I sell it. There are still some PSP games that I want that I'm missing, but right now I have 60 PSP. There's atleast 50 there that are worth owning in my opinion. The DS I have about the same amount I own and I think are worth owning. The systems are fairly equal with the amount of good titles, but I like most of the PSP titles a bit more than many of those on the DS.

    Now that the PSP is this price, I just don't see the reason that everyone here doesn't own both a DS and a PSP. I'd understand if you have some sort of major backlog, but alot of you are just waiting for the system to be much lower than the price of the DS and for what reason? Because your opinion of it as a poor system? I think it's more of a dislike of the system just because you don't own it and don't want to support it until it's completely dead.
    That post seemed a little fannish, IMO. The PSP is a decent enough system, but it's not unreasonable that a gamer wouldn't want to own one, especially when they already own a DS.

    I was really looking forward to the PSP before it launched, and I would (jokingly) mock the DS a lot on another board when the pro DS sentiment was high. I was mainly just kidding around, but I really wasn't that amped about the DS. I got both of them as gifts about the same time, and I honestly surprised at how much more I enjoyed the DS (lite). It really wasn't even close. I think there are a number of reasons why the PSP probably wouldn't seem like a priority purchase to a gamer.

    • It's really not that portable to me. It's relatively huge by comparison to the DSlite, and doesn't really fit comfortably in my pocket.

    • The controls aren't very good, IMO. I really hate the PSP D-pad, and I hate the analog nub even more. There are some games that I have to place a coin over the D-pad to add better control.

    • The library of games isn't quite as good as the DS. It's doesn't really bare mentioning that this, like the other points, are entirely subjective, but I find myself spending a lot more time with my DS games, playing them to the point of completion, than I do my PSP ones. I really enjoy the pick up and play style of games on the DS vs. the more involved console style games on the PSP.

    • UMDs are cumbersome. This sort of piggy backs off of my point about the PSP being less portable than the DS. UMDs are pretty bulky. Even if you have one of those clever cases that stores 4-8 of them, that's even bulkier. It's not a big deal if you have a brief case, or a messenger, or a book bag or something, but if you just want to keep a game system and a few games in your pocket, the DSlite is a much better choice, IMO.

    • You already have a DS, and you don't have the means or inclination to purchase more than one hand held system, or more than one per generation.

    • You just aren't that into portable game systems. There are a lot of gamers who really aren't into the hand held scene. They may have enough interest to talk about the games, and exposure to the systems from friends who do own hand helds, perhaps enough to have a more favorable opinion of the DS to the PSP. But for many, it's just not enough to put out $100 bucks to own either.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.

  19. #19
    Cherry (Level 1) Gooch3008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

    Default

    The Sony PSP is amazing and $130 is a bargain for one.

  20. #20
    Peach (Level 3) duffmanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    They should've dropped it to an even $100, just to clear out stock before the PSP2 comes out. Sony should really drop the PSPgo down even further to clear out stock, then cease production on it all together considering it's been a royal fuck up.

    I haven't touched my PSP in months since I was playing Metal Gear Peacewalker. I stopped playing that and many other PSP games because I find the controls too frustrating after a while cuz of the PSP's shitty control scheme. At least Sony has addressed those concerns with the PSP2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •