Thread: Super mario rpg on pal snes, the drama story

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super mario rpg on pal snes, the drama story

Dear reader,

We start off my story with me buying a japanese version of super mario rpg. When i received it i was so happey I heard so much good things about super mario rpg. Whilst running down my room i figured i didn't have a japanese snes A week later i bought a super famicon and started playing super mario rpg, when playing I figured I didn't know how to read Japanese. So another 40 euros after that I bought Super mario RPG (US ). trying to do the mod lifting pin 127 didn't work, no screen. Giving it 5 volt would give me the intro with the cloudey background but it never showed peach but the sound kept going on. When desperatley trying to find whats wrong i got some solder on like 3 pins. After that i started to cry, being able to remove some solder i tried it again, black screen. When i was "cleaning"it again i broke of pin 127 What should i do now? Is the mod still possible? without the 5v it wouldn't display anything on my modded pal snes. Any luck from now on? would a Us snes still be a saver or is the cart ruined? Does anyone on this forum live in the EU( The netherlands) and might be able to fix my shit up? I hope someone would be able to assist me. A point of notice aswell, the battery was leaking and i tried replacing it. No luck as i wasn't able to resolder a battery beacuse the solder doesnt stick to it

Kind regards,
    Daniël

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there is any leg left on the chip you can try soldering a wire to it, otherwise I don't know if the cart is still serviceable. If it will work in its current state it will play on the Super Famicom since the only incompatibility between the Super Famicom and the U.S. SNES is cart shape.

As for battery replacement, you are better off either buying batteries with pre-soldered tabs or installing a coin holder. An improperly soldered battery will at best die prematurely and at worst explode in your face.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    Well pin 127 broke of entirely but I've read on the internet that it shouldnt matter. There is however a blob of solder on pin 125 and 126 but i have no luck in getting it of with a solder sucker( knockback against pins, not wanted) and the desoldering wire doesnt help much either. Or i'm using it wrong. It's most likely a short between pin 125 and 126 right?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The short definitely needs to be taken care of, although I can't guarantee that it will solve your problem. If you haven't tried this already, adding a little bit of solder can make it easier to suck up that blob.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I'll try that today, thanks for the advice. I'll report back later

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Had absolutely no luck on that. I'm not capable of doing this. The only way im thinking might be completeley desoldering the chip and soldering it back on. But that's way out of my leageau. Does anyone with some skills live in europe and is able to try and fix my game? I'll pay for shipment.