Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What games from the last generation (PS2, XBOX, GC) have you played though the most?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question What games from the last generation (PS2, XBOX, GC) have you played though the most?

I was wondering if there were any games from the past generation that you've played through several times over. I'm sure that there are arcade style games like Rez, R-type Final, Crazy Taxi, etc. which lend themselves to multiple play-thrus, and while I'd like to hear about them all, I'm really wondering if there are any more conventional games you've found yourself going back to?

For some reason, whenever I feel a need to fire up my PS2 (or PS3 now, since I really just use it for PS2 games) I end up putting in Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny. I just mean to play it for a few minutes to kill a little time, but I end up playing through the entire game EVERY SINGLE TIME. I must have played through the entire game at least 10 times over. It's something about the gift exchange system, and the subtle branching paths that the story can take I think that gets me going, I think. I don't read FAQs or strategy guides, unless I've already beaten a game, but I never check out either for Onimusha 2, and always opt to explore the character interactions on my own and work from memory. I also love the length of the game (it's short by modern gaming standards), and the game play itself is just so solid. I think it's the perfect combination of horror, hack and slash action, and adventure.

Bujingai: The Forbidden City is another game I've played through a few times, which is a little strange since most wouldn't want to play through it even once. I'm big fan of Japanese flair and style over substance game play though. I really don't mind mindless hacking so long as your character looks good doing it, and in that respect Bujingai delivers in spades.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I've played through at least 3 times. It's really one of those games that's hard to put down. I always tell myself "just one more level", but I find myself playing it throughout the night more often than not. It's a very addictive game that's extremely good at what it does.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica I've played though this game so much on the Dreamcast that I could make it through the entire game using ONLY the knife (sans a few boss fights) and end it in about 2 hours. I'd play this game almost every day, and my s/o would sit and watch me play it pretty much every time. I must have ended it 30 times at least.

HALO: Combat Evolved I've played through more times than I can count. Usually co-op, with the other half.

P.N.03: Product Number I've never actually ended this game, but I've gotten close, and I'd played it so much that it's ridiculous. I don't know why I'd start over, but I had several times. I'd play this game and try to make perfect runs through it, I think that that's the reason I'd replay old ground I covered so much.

Mario Kart Wii isn't a game that fits on the list since it's current generation AND it's essentially an arcadey cart racer, however, it is the reason that I never play ANY other Wii game. I have over 50 Wii games, and I honestly couldn't tell you shit about any of them except for Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, and We Cheer 1 and 2 (my wife plays them). I've spent more hours MKW it than any game in recent history, and to date it's the only game that I've ever committed to playing online.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. The reason that I thought about this is because I have a MASSIVE back log of games in my collection and yet I find myself returning to the same games over and over again before I give any of the hundreds of other games that haven't even been opened get a shot. I've pretty much put this console generation on hold because I keep going back to my favorites from this past generation. I wonder if anyone else here have this tendency as well?
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-05-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to the new(er) generations I'm kind of a sell out gamer. I've played through the Need for Speeds (Undergrounds & Most Wanted) a few times.
    I've beaten San Andreas a couple times, and have a couple completely different 100+ hour saves. It's one of my favorite games of all time. TBH never got 100% because the seashells and photo ops (especially photo ops) are a little ridiculous.

I'm sure other people have more interesting completed lists, but I really like to stick to older classics.
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil 4- Played through that game 6-7 times. Could never get enough of that game.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes- First Metal Gear game I played and I played through that game back to back to bakc to back when it first came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've put an insane amount of time into Phantasy Star Online on the GameCube. I even had a character that was well over level 100 that was lost after I accidentally nudged the memory card while the game was saving. Eventually I started more characters to replace it.

I bought Roadkill on the GameCube, played through it, and totally loved it. I came across the PS2 version cheap, so I bought that one to see how it compares. Then I bought the Xbox version to see how the graphics stack up. I've played through each version at a minimum of three times.

Star Trek: Shattered Universe was another game I went through a few times in both the PS2 and Xbox versions. The difficulty level was horribly unbalanced, where you'd have a couple easy levels and then an insanely difficult ballbusting level tossed in. But I always loved a good space combat game.

I played through Cel Damage a whole lot. I love a good vehicle combat game, and this one is just frenetic action.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In terms of replaying, not much. I haven't gotten around to replaying even my favorite games of the past generation. I think Pikmin is about the only one. I'm still trying to get ONE playthrough in on most of my previous gen games. Older games just take my attention off of them too much.

Now if you want to talk effort, then I got some. I got all 120 shines in Super Mario Sunshine, every item in Pikmin 2, and I put a ridiculous amount of time into tri-Ace's games. Probably about 80 hours in Radiata Stories, about the same or a bit more in Valkyrie Profile 2, and something absurd like 200 hours in Star Ocean 3. And I have MORE to do in each of those (which, coincidentally, mostly involves replaying).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus. I must have played through this game an untold number of times. I also find it's a lot of fun just to play around in, especially after you unlock some of the time-attack goodies. Of course there are games like San Andreas that I come back to often, but I don't usually play through them all the way more than once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last gen I played thru Halo 1, Halo 2 and Burnout 3 the most. I loved both Star Wars: Kotor titles but I've still only played thru them once(probably since it's a 40+ hour commitment). Halo 2 is probably the game I have played thru the most since playing online made it easier to play against the cpu in legendary mode. The only other game would be the original Spy Hunter. In the Xbox version of Spy Hunter(the remake) you can play the original 80's version by putting in a code. I've played that dozens of times. It's just too bad that game isn't backwards compatible on the 360.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space is one of my most played PS2 games, atleast for the amount of time it takes to finish compared to the amount of time I've played it.

White Base mode is only a couple hours long, it's probably an hour or less with each ace pilot mode, and a few hours for Thoroughbred mode. A few ace pilot modes and Thoroughbred mode have some what if missions that you can play if you get a certain score for that mission or complete the mission a certain way. Even though there's probably an altogether 10 hours, I've played through these modes multiple times, putting in over 50 hours into it.

Then there's mission mode. Mission mode consists of eight missions of varying difficulty. Mission mode allows you to create an extra save before missions, but whenever your data is loaded it automatically deletes off the card, and it's copy protected so you can't transfer between cards. That's because they don't want you to replay missions to create the perfect character so creating your characters is purely based on your skill at the game. I've put 50+ hours into the mission mode alone.

Then versus mode, between playing with friends or creating custom battles, like using a Ball vs Neue Zeil(and winning.) I didn't put too much time into this in comparison to everything else, but maybe between two and five hours. Versus isn't that great as it's over too quickly and your limited by points.

Phantasy Star Online has been played through multiple times with multiple characters. My favorite character types are Forces, but I'll use Hunters and Rangers. Rangers are my least favorite as they make the game too easy, but I've played through the game as one atleast once.

Mobile Suit Gundamn Journey to Jaburo, Federation vs Zeon, Kessen 2, Devil May Cry, 2, 3, and Castlevania Lament of Innocence are the only other PS2 games I've beaten an excessive amount of times. There are other games I've played upwards of three times(even a few RPGs like Wild ARMs 3,) but most games for last gen I've only finished once or twice. Like I've beaten FF10 twice, which would be around 60-80 hours, but given the fact that the regular quest will take 25-30 hours it's kind of obvious that I put in that amount of time.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-05-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DangerMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GTA III on the PS2 and Shenmue on the Dreamcast. Many, Many hours went into those 2 games.
    Check out my newest SNES animation episode!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrWGbaldHqA

Subscribe to my channel or you might break an ACL

Insert Coin (Level 0) RetroGamer1994's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. One game i can think of was Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on the GC. A fun and exciting game and i still love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Those are just a few off the top of my head. The reason that I thought about this is because I have a MASSIVE back log of games in my collection and yet I find myself returning to the same games over and over again before I give any of the hundreds of other games that haven't even been opened get a shot. I've pretty much put this console generation on hold because I keep going back to my favorites from this past generation. I wonder if anyone else here have this tendency as well?
    That's me exactly. I keep thinking, "hmm.. should I replay Final Fantasy X again? It was a really great game. Hey wait!! I have like 15 other RPGs I haven't beaten (some I haven't even started!).."

PS2
    Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast - Despite the fact that the core 'experience' is about 5 minutes long, I've logged dozens of hours playing and replaying (and replaying). It simply never gets old for me.
    Gran Turismo 3: The game that made me buy a PS2 in the first place. I am surprised myself how often I come back to this one. Of course I never purchased 4 or 5 Prologue or 5, so this is one of my few tuner fixes.

GC
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II: I still play this one hundreds of hours offline. This is after 800+ hours on the Dreamcast versions. Just recently I recreated my second Dreamcast version 1 character on this game and played about a quick 50 hours into grinding him up. I've never been able to get into Phantasy Star Universe the way I could into the PSO series.
    F-Zero GX: 7 years later and I still suck at this game... but I love how silky smooth it is. The track design is amazing and the graphics/effects are among the best I ever witnessed on the GC. Good music too. Especially love those cheesy character themes.

XBOX
    Dead or Alive Ultimate: Boobs.

Dreamcast Does this count?
    Soul Calibur: Still one of my absolute favorite fighting games. Still looks amazing today. I put a decent amount of time into 2 and 3 but I always return to this one.
    Sonic Adventure: Probably my favorite Sonic game, or very close to it. And dammit, I liked the tertiary characters and fishing and all that crap!
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 03-06-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Man, I've played SO MANY HOURS of OutRun2006 (the XBOX version), it's ridiculous. I absolutely love that game.

While I don't play much DOA, I played a shit ton of Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball. I'm not ashamed to say that I have a ball with that silly game, and the wive absolutely loves it.

The original Jet Grind Radio, lord I've played that game so much, it's ridiculous. That was one of the only modern games I've actually bothered getting all of the collectible thingies in (graffiti in this JGR's case), and unlocking everything in.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would say that the single last-gen game I have played through the most hands-down is Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I have it for all three console platforms it was available on and have completed it on each. On the Xbox and PS2 BC on PS3 where memory required for multiple files is no issue, I completed the game with each character as well. Most other last-gen games I only beat once or twice.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. I also put a lot of time into FFX, but only played through it once. I played through Tales of Symphonia a couple of times, not sure how many hours I put into it tho.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

These are the 3 that I've put the most hours on, in no real order:

- Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN):
    Can you believe that, even after playing this game for years, I still don't have everything unlocked? Regardless of my inability to beat Event Match 49 (Preventing access to 51, which I need to beat to get the last stage), I still have played this a lot; especially in multiplayer. I still dig it out from time to time to play a few rounds

- Phantasy Star Online (DC)
    I poured over 100 hours into this one between all of my characters. However, the highest any one of them got was level 55; I wanted to go to 200, but I lost the desire to continue after Sega pulled the plug on the HL server; cutting my access to the private server I had been playing on.

- .hack (PS2)
    Between all 4 parts of the game, I've spent nearly 90 hours total on this game. However, a majority of that was just grinding for Virus Cores; because they needed something to pad out the games to slow the pace of the plot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I shoveled an immense amount of time into Halo 2, both online (and LANing) and in campaign. I also put quite a bit into Halo, as well. I also played the crap out of both Knights of the Old Republic games.

Beyond those, on the Gamecube I probably put the most time into Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, Pac-Man Vs, F-Zero GX, and Rogue Leader.

PS2 is kind of tricky to quantify, since I've played a LOT of fighting games on that platform even over the last few years, with my friends. If I had to guess I'd say Smackdown Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain, R-Type Final, Gradius V, King of Fighters 98 UM, KOF XI, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, KOF 2k2 UM, and Rez.

And since I count the Dreamcast in that generation, I've probably sunk more time into Capcom vs SNK 2 and Powerstone 2 on that machine than most of these other games listed.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Resident Evil 4 - Played through it 25-30 times by now. I have it for GC, PS2, Wii, and PC...so, yeah. It's pretty much 80% of the gaming I did in 2005. 2nd favorite game of all time (SOTN is my #1).

GTA: San Andreas - I've only "finished" the game once, but I've put ~200 hours into the PS2 and Xbox versions over the years.

Final Fantasty XII - My most recent save has ~150 hours...which is a heafty amount of time for that game. Which is really nothing, considering a few here have Disgaea and Disgaea 2 saves of 1000+ hours.

There's a few games in that generation that I've finished twice (GoW, GoW2, SMTDDS, SOTC). The rest were basically "one and done".
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

crazy taxi
    sonic mega collection
    bloodrayne
    metroid prime
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to say the last-gen games I played the most happened to be on the Xbox, mostly due to online gaming:

-RalliSport Challenge 2: This is my favourite racing game of all time, and I barely played the online mode much. I got obsessed with the career mode, getting 1st place in every single race, even if it took me a dozen tries just for one race. Everything about this game is perfect; the control, the visuals, the half arcade-half sim gameplay, along with custom tracks, made me love this game.

-MechAssault: I spent countless Saturday nights playing this online with my friends into the wee hours of the morning in team deathmatch. I loved this game to death. Few things give you satisfaction like blowing up an enemy mech and watching his explosion cause his 2 nearby teammates to blow up in a chain reaction.

-Halo 2: This is the game that started my love/hate relationship with the Halo franchise. I was hooked to the online play, loving it and cursing it at the same time.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Need For Speed Underground 2 i played twice Xbox
    I played super smash bros melee million times over
    both tony hawk Undergrounds i played few times through on xbox