Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ovge 2011 Announced!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I think what killed it for Dallas was the VGXpo from a few years ago.
    I didn't hear about that show until after the fact, so I was spared the "misery." (Still wish I would've known about it, though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

That's one show that I wanted to go to, but it was not to be. Wasn't it on either July 4th weekend, or even on the 4th itself? I just remember it being a badly chosen date and even though I really wanted to go, it just wasn't going to happen on the holiday weekend. I did hear from some guys here on DP and a few other sites that it was literally a waste of oxygen, as no one attended...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the VGExpo was the one that was on the same weekend as a CGE. Screwattack was always over the 4th of July and was *ok*. Not a lot of vendors and mostly just a way for the AVGN and others to act like celebrities, but it was a local show at least.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    I think the VGExpo was the one that was on the same weekend as a CGE.
    I think that was the case. I know people like Flack showed up to VGExpo, hung out for an hour, and then left.

Considering how retro games have become more plentiful across the Metroplex since that expo, maybe someone needs to consider organizing another classic gaming show. Perhaps it could be merged with the big pinball convention held over in Grapevine. Since there's so many game stores locally, they could all be contacted to see if they'd be interested in setting up tables. Movie Trading Company (Vintage Stock), Play N' Trade, Console Game Exchange, FX Game Exchange, Game Master in Rowlett, GameXchange in Waxahachie, and GameChop in Carrollton amongst others. There's also the Houston arcade and pinball show - those guys could be contacted to see if they'd like to bring some arcade cabs with them. And there's plenty of out of town folks that wouldn't mind setting up booths at a Dallas convention, like Atari Age and the Game Over store, both from Austin. The organizers could look around and see if they could find some locals involved with gaming back in the day and put together a speech or two. I really believe that a great show could be put together here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

vgXpo was August 20-21, 2005, the same weekend as CGE2K5 (I just checked my blog). I can't seem to find my old review of the show so I'll have to go by memory, which is a dangerous thing to do at my age.

Basically my recollection of the show was (a) there wasn't much there and (b) many of the things that were promised didn't materialize. Like Steve W said, the costume contest didn't happen due to lack of participation, the huge promised arcade wasn't there, and so on. I remember picking up a flyer saying someone (I can't remember if it was the One-Ups or not) would be performing at 3pm at a stage. At 3pm, my friend, my son, and I were the only three there.

If I remember correctly, vgXpo only had about 4 vendors. The Atari Age guys went all out and I remember seeing TradeNGames there, but as far as playing games and such, there just wasn't much to do. OVGE has always been considered to be a pretty small show, and that year I think they had 24 or 25 vendors, so I was simply shocked at the turnout of vgXpo. Plus, as everyone else said, the show was stuck in the back corner of a home and gardening expo or something. Right next to some of the exhibitors was a dental depot and an animal shelter trying to get people to adopt pets.

Here are my old pics from the show: http://robohara.com/photo/index.php?...s%2FVGXPO_2005

I've always kind of felt like this one summed up the show: http://robohara.com/photo/index.php?...e=p1010017.jpg