Thread: Anyone play 3DS yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    I'd love to see developers go overboard with the 3D. Really go crazy with it. Like can you imagine what Jeff Minter could do with this thing? I'm afraid most of it will just be "tasteful" stuff though which will make people wonder why they even bought the machine
    We do not need 3D llamas.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read in game informer you can take games you downloaded from ds shop and add it to the 3ds. Any one know how this will be done?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played this at Best Buy today. I think the game was Pilotwings since I was flying an airplane. The 3D affect was a little annoying because you had to hold the console at the same height position to keep it from getting blurry and I tend to move around a bit when playing my games. But I do like how they incorporated the 3D without any annoying glasses and it works well when it's actually working.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thought this was interesting:

"If the 3D was turned all the down I am actually at a disadvantage, since the ability to perceive depth offers some clues about where I am in relation to other objects in the game world. Twitchy things like landing with the rocket belt become much easier."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...thing-ever.ars

Maybe the 3D will actually impact gameplay a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried it out at Best Buy today. I was hoping to try a game that wasn't Pilotwings, but that's all they had. I couldn't really see the 3D effect that well, but I did notice when it wasn't on. I'm going to another Best Buy tomorrow so hopefully I can get a better play test of it.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I checked it out at Best Buy this afternoon and it was pretty cool. At first I was playing it hunched over but shortly I figured out that the 3DS is held on the stand by some pretty strong magnets and with a little pulling it comes right off so you can actually hold it instead.
    So today I played the Pilotwings demo at Best Buy.. following the above quote I tried to lift the 3DS off its magnet base. Unfortunately my local Best Buy had also attached it with thick adhesive tape.

I tore that sucker right off

Then my fingers got all sticky from the adhesive goo.

I found playing with the 3D turned about 5/6 of the way up worked best, and relaxing my eyes made viewing more comfortable. By relaxing my eyes, I mean kinda like viewing a Magic Eye book, but maybe not quite that relaxed.

Fun stuff, I want one! (not aqua blue though)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    I read in game informer you can take games you downloaded from ds shop and add it to the 3ds. Any one know how this will be done?
    When it was first announced, the wording made it sound like not every download necessarily was going to be transferable.

The feature is being added in Japan through a firmware update in the coming weeks. It wasn't present at launch.

I believe that's pretty much all that has been said about it so far.

And my guess is you will download some utility from the shop to both your 3DS and your DSi/DSiXL and start it up on both and the license transfer will be done through communicating via wifi between each to transfer the rights to your 3DS.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-18-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to add that a store locator is now up on Nintendo's website: http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/events/locator/

From my search it looks like they only have the kiosks at Best Buys right now, but they don't have them at every Best Buy.
    I have a sig?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LMAO Tough luck kid reporting.

The search utility basically told me to jump in a lake. It brought up one result and put the pin dead center in John Gamer Pond.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-19-2011 at 10:14 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Tried out Pilotwings this afternoon at my local Best Buy. The 3D works pretty much as I expected it to (kinda like one of those lenticular baseball cards), but it was still impressive to see it in motion. I was a bit upset that the Home button was locked out in this demo unit, since I wanted to check out the GUI, but realizing that I was in a college town, that was probably done to prevent drunken frat boys from sticking the 3DS down their pants and taking a picture of their junk.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I played the archery game at PAX East and it was pretty cool. I got one on preorder but I'm not gonna get any launch games with it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the 3DS today at a local Best Buy. It was pretty much all that I thought it would be, and I mean that in a good way. I thought the 3D was good, and I liked the design of the system. I especially liked the circle pad, and it is MUCH better than the PSP joystick. Like a lot of other people are saying, I found the 3D slider to be best towards the top, but not all the way to the top. Also, I thought Pilotwings Resort was better than I thought it would be. I also think the 3D effect will be better/worse than Pilotwings depending on what game you are playing, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. I am definitely getting one though, and I've already had it pre-ordered for a while. Also, I don't know why a lot of people don't like the blue 3DS, I thought it looked pretty good.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got to see one at a Best Buy earlier this week. I can't see 3D real well (injured my left eye about a year and a half ago and my vision is severely impacted) but I had been seriously contemplating buying one of these because I thought the screen rending the 3D might make it much better than the stereoscopic glasses things that really don't work.

The screen looked worse to me than the 3D glasses do.

Glad I didn't preorder, and I now know I'll never own one. But I saw the new PSP thing, and that looks pretty cool.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I got to see one at a Best Buy earlier this week. I can't see 3D real well (injured my left eye about a year and a half ago and my vision is severely impacted) but I had been seriously contemplating buying one of these because I thought the screen rending the 3D might make it much better than the stereoscopic glasses things that really don't work.

The screen looked worse to me than the 3D glasses do.

Glad I didn't preorder, and I now know I'll never own one. But I saw the new PSP thing, and that looks pretty cool.
    That's a little harsh, writing it off like that just because you weren't thrilled with the 3D. You can turn the 3D off, you know. I'm sure there'll be plenty of decent games for it eventually that you'll want to play.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might as well wait for a price drop at least, if you are not going to use it's main feature at all. For someone with eye problems, that's just how it is for them. Not really harsh, it's an easy position to understand. Why pay the early adopter premium for the new tech you're not going to or can't use?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Might as well wait for a price drop at least, if you are not going to use it's main feature at all. For someone with eye problems, that's just how it is for them. Not really harsh, it's an easy position to understand. Why pay the early adopter premium for the new tech you're not going to or can't use?
    No no, I understand the vision issue and why anyone would want to wait for a price drop. But to say you'll never own one just because the 3D doesn't work for you, when the 3D can be turned off completely and the system can still be used like any other handheld, that's just jumping the gun.

I'm hoping that we'll see a number of games that make little to no use of the 3D, just like the Wii needs to have games that don't really use the motion controls.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought it's main feature was to play 3DS games?

I want one and I won't be able to view it's 3D effect. Doesn't mean I won't be able to fully enjoy new handheld releases on Nintendo's latest handheld.

Would be like skipping a SuperNes because your deaf in one ear and wouldn't be able to experience it's new stereo audio...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    I played the archery game at PAX East and it was pretty cool. I got one on preorder but I'm not gonna get any launch games with it.
    Im in the same boat. I pre-ordered but am not planning on buying any launch titles. None of them really catch my interest.
    DERP

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I might be in a minority here, but I'm pre-ordering the 3DS for "Mega Man Legends 3" - a game which won't be released in North America for *two more years*. Yes, I've been waiting for a sequel to that series for enough time and wishing to see to see it greatly enough that once I knew that we were finally getting a sequel and which console/handheld it was for, it was time to buy.

Will The Big N release a lighter, more efficient version of the 3DS by then? Probably. But I want to be prepared, and I don't want to be out of luck if a situation forms like with past console sell-outs like the Wii where demand can't be met for years after launch. If they do release a better version before "Mega Man Legends 3" launches then I'll upgrade and sell the original 3DS.

I'm buying "Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition" for a launch game to play because I bought the original release on PC, and I like the new content in the updated releases. CAPCOM's video commercials for this game are really well produced so you might want to check out them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only a week left!

I still don't know what I'm going to buy at launch. I think it'll be Street Fighter and Pilotwings.

I haven't seen cases or anything released yet. I always keep my portable systems in a case, so I'm getting a little nervous that they won't be available for a little while. I'll be nervous until I get a screen protector on the bottom screen and a case around the whole DS.