Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone play 3DS yet?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    That's a little harsh, writing it off like that just because you weren't thrilled with the 3D. You can turn the 3D off, you know. I'm sure there'll be plenty of decent games for it eventually that you'll want to play.
    It wasn't that I "wasn't thrilled with the 3D." It was that I cannot see it correctly at all, and it looked horrible to me. Yeah, I can turn off the 3D -- but to me, that would be like saying, "I'll but an Xbox 360, but I'll only use it to play Xbox Live games." The main point is the 3D, and since I can't see it and have no hope of ever seeing it, I have no interest in the console. I'm sure I'm in the minority there, but I'm also certain the next gen PSP will also have plenty of decent games that I'll want to play, and you can only devote so much time to gaming, anyway.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say the main point is the games....I have little use for 3D but I'm buying one for Professor Layton and Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright. I'm not buying any launch titles either.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Closest demo in my area looks like it's in some dude's backyard shed. Not kidding.

At any rate, I'm likely skipping at least the first revision. Maybe if/when Mega Man Legends 3 sees a release, I'll pick one up.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Closest demo in my area looks like it's in some dude's backyard shed. Not kidding.
    You should show up at their house and be like. I'd like to try out the 3DS please. If they say they don't know what you're talking about you should be like, "Don't fu**ing lie to me. I have proof that you have a demo unit right here." Have some one recording it and put it on Youtube.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I'd say the main point is the games....I have little use for 3D but I'm buying one for Professor Layton and Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright. I'm not buying any launch titles either.
    The main point is absolutely the games. The 3D is really just a gimmick. A neat gimmick, but a gimmick none the less. Just like there are plenty of DS games that make little to no use of the touch screen, I'm sure there will be plenty of 3DS games that'll be great without the 3D.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    The main point is absolutely the games. The 3D is really just a gimmick. A neat gimmick, but a gimmick none the less. Just like there are plenty of DS games that make little to no use of the touch screen, I'm sure there will be plenty of 3DS games that'll be great without the 3D.
    Agreed. The 3D is an interesting diversion...but not the primary draw for me. This is Nintendo's next-generation of handheld, not a DS with 3D capabilities. I understand the "DS" name has huge market value and that's why they used it...but in reality it was probably the worst name they could've chose.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0) -dustburn-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    1891-1176-8170

That's actually pointing out your zip code and relative location. If there are any locations near you, they would be NUMBERED.

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post

At any rate, I'm likely skipping at least the first revision. Maybe if/when Mega Man Legends 3 sees a release, I'll pick one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I just tried it out today myself. The 3D was just what I thought, and while still technically a "gimmick", it is a lot more enjoyable than the stuff in theaters. Nothing surprised me that much save for the "analog" disc. It is absolutely beautiful! None of the launch titles "hit the spot" sadly, so it looks like I'll just buy 999 instead.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Only a week left!

I still don't know what I'm going to buy at launch. I think it'll be Street Fighter and Pilotwings.

I haven't seen cases or anything released yet. I always keep my portable systems in a case, so I'm getting a little nervous that they won't be available for a little while. I'll be nervous until I get a screen protector on the bottom screen and a case around the whole DS.
    I hear you I am the same way. Just like the Wii launch, I did confirm with Gamestop that there will be no extra games or systems available, you would pretty much have to preorder everything. Not sure if this goes for case protectors. We'll see...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Only a week left!

I still don't know what I'm going to buy at launch. I think it'll be Street Fighter and Pilotwings.

I haven't seen cases or anything released yet. I always keep my portable systems in a case, so I'm getting a little nervous that they won't be available for a little while. I'll be nervous until I get a screen protector on the bottom screen and a case around the whole DS.
    Gamestop has cases for $ 20

I picked one up last week

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Picked mine up today with Street Fighter.

The hardware is nice, exactly what I expected from Nintendo. Setup was relatively easy, and poking around the on-board options and software (Mii Maker, Friend Code, Internet Setup etc.) was generally painless.

Super Street Fighter IV is really nice ... a great portable version of the game. While I don't love using either the d-pad or the analog (neither feel optimal/right) I don't have any real problems pulling off moves, so it'll just take a bit of getting used to.

My two biggest gripes about the system are ONE that a lot of on-board software isn't there for launch!

NO WEB BROWSER!
    NO SHOP CHANNEL!
    NO OPTION TO TRANSFER DSi SOFTWARE!

... YET (for all of the above).

I felt like I had read up on everything I somehow missed that the Shop Channel wouldn't be available until MAY!

And TWO the on-board speakers are SO SOOOO soft, even at maximum setting they're really really quiet. The DSi has much better/louder speakers IMO.

I noticed a tiny bit of eye strain after a few hours of playing around with the 3D games, but nothing migraine inducing.

Otherwise, everything seems cool. Looking forward to a whole new generation of Nintendo portable software.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed on the quiet speakers. I don't get it either.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Sweet, it actually plays MP3 format audio files!

I hated the needless hastle of converting tracks to AAC format for the DSi.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gripes: (all tiny ones)

-3DS Sound Editor could have had ridimentary music-making functionality

-eShop should have been up and running from day 1, with downloadable demos

-Headphone jack should be on one side, not in the center, so I can put the 3DS in my pocket, jack-side up, and have the cord poke out. As it is, it's tough to put this in a hip pocket for music listening.

-Camera resolution should be much higher. It is on even the cheapest cell phones.

-Launch units should have shipped with extra goodies on them, to motivate people to buy at launch. This could include:
    -8 or 10 Nintendo MP3 tracks, pre-loaded. Retro soundtrack stuff.
    -3D video excerpts from Miyamoto/Iwata interviews on Nintendo website

-DS screen resizing options are subpar, but not so bad as to be unplayable. I've put 4 hours on Pokemon White on the 3DS and it's fine. Not perfect, but fine.

But yeah, really nitpicking here. I wish they did more "fan service" sorts of things in general, but those aren't gripes, just "wish list" sorts of things.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Ugh, I was not enjoying the 3D last night at all. Have to keep the slider right above off just to make it not hurt my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

No gripes so far. Lots of hours put on the machine on a few different games with only a little eye strain after hours of play. But then again, I could have had that on the older stuff, just didn't notice.

Can't wait for the next wave of games and for the inevitable price drops on the first wave! Looking forward to picking up Bust A Move, Super Monkey Ball and a few others on the cheap in a month or so.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my blue 3DS at Wal-Mart late Sunday afternoon just an impulse buy, went for milk and shout out stain remover....
    Then bought a 3DS, pilot wings and steel diver(loved this when it was just a tech demo when DS launched).
    I forgot it was the launch day.. think it's my 1st launch day portable purchase.

I love 3d. So I could not resist.

The 3d is ok but the screen is not as good as the Fuji w3.
    Its good but the Fuji's is almost perfect.
    There is some ghosting on the 3DS and not just from extreme parallax settings.
    That cannot be correct(even with the slider almost down all the way), the Fuji w3 has zero ghosting.

The 3d camera in the 3DS has nothing on the Fuji w3 that was almost a given.

At least they share the same picture format .mpo and can be displayed on each other.
    Sony has a free program on the ps3 to view those file on a 3d tv.

I love the built in mini games the augmented reality game are cool and fun.

I have converted some 3d movies to play on the fuji w3 I hope I can do the same for the 3DS this will better since it has support for headphones,
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281622
    can't wait to test this out.
    The same methods should work as long as they have a fw update that includes a 3d movie player

I look forward to the updates to enable the web browser and some type of market place.

It was nice to have the 2GB SD card included and the docking charge station.
    The big ass multi language manual seemed like a waste. I think it’s the biggest manual of any system released.

The little red boot up screen is cool, in memory of the vr boy
    Now they could port vr boy,3d master system and 3d famicom games to run on this and add some cool updates.

They should have included some video game mp3s,a movie player with some demo videos, and had the web browser and store complete in the launch firmware.

I liked the sound on the 3ds for only 2 speakers it does a good job on creating the surround effect.

I played around with the AR cards with scans on my pc, it detects them with very basic color patterns.
    I edited the card to be just the blue cube, black back ground and white trim. Put a pink blob in the middle it Kirby, some green and yellow blobs its link...

The angle detected by how the perspective of the rectangle changes to the cameras point of view. Took 2 pieces of white paper to change the angel of the left and right edge to mess with the depth, make the back look wider than the front.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Why are you comparing the 3DS to a digital camera?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Why are you comparing the 3DS to a digital camera?
    Really why not?
    They share the same tech for the screen.
    The 3DS screen is the heart of the system if there is room for improvement it should be noted.
    Do you have better ideas to compare it to.
    They also share the same picture format and maybe the same video format.

What do you have to add to this topic?

I posted a lot of feedback, move on.....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    Really why not? They share the same tech for the screen.
    The 3DS screen is the heart of the system if there is room for improvement it should be noted. Do you have better ideas to compare it to.
    They also share the same picture format and maybe the same video format.
    So how do the 3DS games play on that camera?

Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    What do you have to add to this topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Ugh, I was not enjoying the 3D last night at all. Have to keep the slider right above off just to make it not hurt my head.