Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem gameboy games on Advance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turrican is supposed to drop down and land on the Nintendo logo, then I think the whole thing slowly scrolls off screen. Whatever trick it was doing to keep the Nintendo logo in the video memory apparently doesn't work on the GBC or GBA, so he just drops down from the top of the blank screen right off the bottom. Then it goes to the title screen like usual.

Great game, too. It's a lot less confusing than it seems at first, kind of like Sonic games. There isn't nearly as much open world exploration as, say, Metroid. It's got a decent number of stages, though.

Fun fact: Universal Soldier is actually Turrican II with the movie license pasted on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

True enough, shame they did hack it into Universal Soldier.

Hardcore 101 has a whole writeup of everything Turrican. Just like how they point out that Super Turrican 1 and 2 are their own thing too and not just a 'Super version' of the original. Also the NES release in PAL land is a really interesting hybrid 100% made only by Manfred Trenz which leads to a very short credits screen.

I take your fun fact, and raise you another.
    http://www.pekaro.de/t2002.html

T2002 is a Windows and Game Boy Advance remake of the famous C64/Amiga game Turrican featuring original graphic, sound and music by courtesy of original producer Factor5 and composer Chris Hülsbeck. The first level resembles the original. After that we provide completely new levels. Can you beat our infamous alien level?

Try that out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    Burai Fighter (the original monochrome one) doesn't work right on the GBA, and possibly the GBC. You die almost instantly as soon as the first boss appears.
    Aha, that's great information. I'll have to try that out with my EverDrive GB.

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I thought I read someone say Wisdom Tree carts are incompatible. (supposedly used some trick to get around the Nintendo TM logo thing on an original Game Boy. Maybe the legality of the Genesis TMSS stuff hadn't been decided yet, as it was pretty much the same idea?)
    I thought post #7 said it was a physical incompatibility (not triggering the GB mode)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's possible, the carts are slightly different shaped on a legit one, and if the form Wisdom Tree used wouldn't account for that then yeah the GBa could be confused and use the wrong boot up.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That's certain a possibility, which wouldn't be unusual for Nintendo.
    I remember when I first tried the GC link cable with the GBA, it was with an unofficial cable on an SP. Couldn't fit the cable in the port without it pushing either the L or R buttons (obviously causing incorrect input in the GC game). It's like they made it to EXACTLY fit the official cable!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

In my play through to write my review of the game, I've discovered that Pit-Fighter has some pretty terrible sound issues when playing on a GBA or GB Player. When any sound effect plays, there's a chance you'll get a loud, high-pitched "gym whistle" sound that makes it sound like you never left gym class. It's pretty awful. The weird thing is, there are times when this will drop out, and you'll actually get the sound effects and voice samples as they're supposed to sound, but it doesn't last long, and you'll likely be hearing those sounds again. The game works fine in the original DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, and the Super Game Boy, so it appears to only affect the GBA line. I'll be making a video to put up on my YouTube channel soon, demonstrating this phenomenon, specifically with regard to Pit-Fighter.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    In my play through to write my review of the game, I've discovered that Pit-Fighter has some pretty terrible sound issues when playing on a GBA or GB Player. When any sound effect plays, there's a chance you'll get a loud, high-pitched "gym whistle" sound that makes it sound like you never left gym class. It's pretty awful. The weird thing is, there are times when this will drop out, and you'll actually get the sound effects and voice samples as they're supposed to sound, but it doesn't last long, and you'll likely be hearing those sounds again. The game works fine in the original DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, and the Super Game Boy, so it appears to only affect the GBA line. I'll be making a video to put up on my YouTube channel soon, demonstrating this phenomenon, specifically with regard to Pit-Fighter.
    The exact same thing happens in Ren & Stimpy: Veediots! and Top Rank Tennis. It might be significant that Pit-Fighter and Veediots! are both THQ games.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The exact same thing happens in Ren & Stimpy: Veediots! and Top Rank Tennis. It might be significant that Pit-Fighter and Veediots! are both THQ games.
    One assumes, then, they were using a common sound font or sound library with some of their games, and that particular set of sounds or sound generation method is simply not 100% compatible with the later GBA hardware. Pretty interesting stuff!
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tarzan GBC only cart has a problem with audio on GBA, just I don't remember what it is as I haven't owned a copy in like 10 years.