Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cleaning game boxes?

  1. #1
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Cleaning game boxes?

    I have a variety of old game boxes both cd cases for the playstation, dvd style cases for newer systems, and a couple older style boxes for gameboy games. However what I'm most interested in, and what is most relevant is if you guys had any tips for cleaning up my dvd style cases to make them more presentable.

    Several have stickers on them, a variety of gunk (I don't even want to guess what that stuff is) building up on the covers, and a couple have even been written on with a sharpie.

    Does anybody here have any tips for getting these cases in a presentable form?

  2. #2
    Strawberry (Level 2) Darko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    409
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Well first off...take the artwork out of the dvd cases before you try to clean them up.

    I use goo gone for most of my sticker needs. As far as the sharpe goes, I would just use some rubbing alcohol and see what you can get done with that. The gameboy boxes are a little trickier. I've been able to peel a number of stickers off of NES boxes without damaging them. They're usually not too difficult to remove without causing any damage if the sticker residue is old enough. I've actually used a TINY amount of goo gone on several boxes and it worked well. I can't remember if the gameboy boxes are glossy enough to handle a tiny bit of liquid on them, but I'm betting they are. You can even use a blow dryer to loosen up some of the stickers a bit before you try to peel them off. Someone else might have a better suggestion than me but that's what I do.

  3. #3
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    Well first off...take the artwork out of the dvd cases before you try to clean them up.

    I use goo gone for most of my sticker needs. As far as the sharpe goes, I would just use some rubbing alcohol and see what you can get done with that. The gameboy boxes are a little trickier. I've been able to peel a number of stickers off of NES boxes without damaging them. They're usually not too difficult to remove without causing any damage if the sticker residue is old enough. I've actually used a TINY amount of goo gone on several boxes and it worked well. I can't remember if the gameboy boxes are glossy enough to handle a tiny bit of liquid on them, but I'm betting they are. You can even use a blow dryer to loosen up some of the stickers a bit before you try to peel them off. Someone else might have a better suggestion than me but that's what I do.
    Thanks man I've heard of goo gone and I'll check it out... but how would I get the art out of the cases first? The main problematic cases are xbox games.

  4. #4
    Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Boondocks in Ms
    Posts
    941
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    Thanks man I've heard of goo gone and I'll check it out... but how would I get the art out of the cases first? The main problematic cases are xbox games.
    Itís just paper, open the DVD case slide the paper out from the top or bottom. Itís not that hard. :/
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

  5. #5
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Itís just paper, open the DVD case slide the paper out from the top or bottom. Itís not that hard. :/
    Uh unless you are talking about just taking the manual out which is inside the case, the outside is covered in plastic and as far as I can tell the paper below the plastic is glued to the front of the case. I might be wrong but I still have no idea.

  6. #6
    Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Boondocks in Ms
    Posts
    941
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    Uh unless you are talking about just taking the manual out which is inside the case, the outside is covered in plastic and as far as I can tell the paper below the plastic is glued to the front of the case. I might be wrong but I still have no idea.
    Uh, no I’m not talking about the manual but you might as well remove everything from the case.



    http://www.mmdesign.com/faq/faq_dvd.htm Do step 4 part 1

    Or you could do this...



    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

  7. #7
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Uh, no I’m not talking about the manual but you might as well remove everything from the case.



    http://www.mmdesign.com/faq/faq_dvd.htm Do step 4 part 1

    Thanks, I'm a retard but I got it with the first diagram.

  8. #8
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Rather than cleaning them I've decided to just swap them with blank dvd cases. I'm also printing up art for discs I've got second hand without boxes. A good website for game case art is http://cdcovers.to/ if anybody is interested.

  9. #9
    Strawberry (Level 2) Darko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    409
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    Rather than cleaning them I've decided to just swap them with blank dvd cases. I'm also printing up art for discs I've got second hand without boxes. A good website for game case art is http://cdcovers.to/ if anybody is interested.
    I don't blame you for doing this...but I (personally) have never been satisfied doing so. Well...other than for Doom 3 on xbox. I switched out the green case for a black case because I saw it more fitting.

Similar Threads

  1. cleaning dirt off boxes
    By Atari 5200 in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
  2. Cleaning boxes
    By SMB in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 12:14 AM
  3. Cleaning DVD cases, boxes, and glossy manuals?
    By bluberry in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 03:31 PM
  4. I need system boxes (not game boxes)
    By PDorr3 in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 06:19 PM
  5. Restoring / cleaning cardboard game boxes...
    By Mac-Abre in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 04:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •