Thread: Where to get cables?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Where to get cables?

Sorry for the quantity of threads I'm making but I'm just starting to get into retro gaming again after having sold off all my stuff in the past. Does anybody know exactly where I can locate s-video cables for these older systems like the n64 / snes / and gamecube / ect. Searching amazon I only found two sellers with new cables when I was specifically searching for gamecube cables (yes I know nintendo uses a standard AVout on the SNES / n64 / gamecube).

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-N64-S...0553417&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-S-Vid...0555066&sr=1-1

Anyway, I've heard a lot of horror stories about bad cables, and I def have the tv for retro gaming as I picked up the 27 Trinitron Wega. So I was wondering if anybody here had any personal recommendations for where to pick up some cabling, or what would work well.

edit: I'm continuing to google around and I found this: http://racketboy.com/store/super-nin...eo-cables.html

It's on another site devoted to retro gaming.
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 03-19-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You probably won't like this answer, but honestly ebay is probably the easiest place to find the cables. Also, if you do some searching on ebay you should be able to find some for a decent price (I know some people are really outrageous with what their price is and shipping costs, so you might have to do some searching/auction watching).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGamesDude View Post
    You probably won't like this answer, but honestly ebay is probably the easiest place to find the cables. Also, if you do some searching on ebay you should be able to find some for a decent price (I know some people are really outrageous with what their price is and shipping costs, so you might have to do some searching/auction watching).
    I was looking on ebay and was not finding any original cables. Is there some other kind I should be looking for, or should I just continue to try and scour ebay. Also unless anybody says otherwise I think I'll try the racketboy cables in the meanwhile.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using a couple of the purple Monster-brand s-video cables for my SNES and N64 and they work perfectly; crisp picture and excellent audio. Never had an issue with either cable, so that particular one gets my vote. I'm guessing from the color that they were originally sold for use with the Gamecube, but I've never used them for it (I have component for that).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    I was looking on ebay and was not finding any original cables. Is there some other kind I should be looking for, or should I just continue to try and scour ebay. Also unless anybody says otherwise I think I'll try the racketboy cables in the meanwhile.
    As far as I know there were never any official S-Video cables made by Nintendo, they were only made by other companies.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    As far as I know there were never any official S-Video cables made by Nintendo, they were only made by other companies.
    I did find this article http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ook_svideo.jsp

but I can't find the s-video anywhere. Anybody else have any recommendations other than the monster cables? There is one on ebay for around $20 but I don't want to get it if it's not actually going to give me any performance benefit over the $10 racketboy set.

Basically I'm biased against monster because I know they overprice things... hdmi is hdmi and they sell their cables at around $100 and they use a lot of FUD marketing which I can't stand. The bose of cabling.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basically I'm biased against monster because I know they overprice things... hdmi is hdmi and they sell their cables at around $100 and they use a lot of FUD marketing which I can't stand. The bose of cabling.
    I paid $1 for each of my two cables. Other than a handful of products, most of Monster's stuff is absurdly overpriced. I will conceded that some of their products are of better build quality than other brands, but not enough to justify their premium. So yeah, nab it if you can get it for a fair price, but otherwise, look elsewhere.

Our own buzz_n64 is selling a "Gamecube 3rd party purple S-Video cable" for $5 (plus shipping, I assume) that may or may not be the same thing. Nice guy if you end up going that way.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know what you mean,who the hell spends $100 for a digital cable, it's just stupid. Ask for the SNES/N64/GC the monster cables actually really do a good job sharpening the picture and filtering out interference for the most part. A guy on eBay has six of them for $34.99 which is not too bad of a deal especially for Monster Cables. http://cgi.ebay.com/6-NEW-Monster-S-...item1e61c70f44

Of course if you want the best picture out of all three systems, SNES & N64 in RGB are the absolute best, even when converting them over to component. Of course you have to mod the N64 to get RGB thou and it has to support it,such a pain. Ask for the Gamecube, if you have the digital out port, then you have component video in 480p, of course the cables are a bit expensive. You will pay some money to get the best picture out of all three of these systems, but it sure is worth it on both CRTs and LCDs.

Of course if you don't wanna spend the money, S-Video produces a beautiful picture as well,especially over composite.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."