Thread: Sonic 2 without Music?!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Sonic 2 without Music?!

Hi ya'll. First time poster here desperately confused. I found your forum through a thread on "broken sega carts" and found it fairly helpful but it just didn't solve me...Then I looked through the handy repair links thread and I was just baffled. I tried the sweet spot (maybe not enough), I tried wiggling and alcohol cleaning...and maybe like an old SNES cart for turtles in time of mine that just SUDDENLY started working one day this too needs a little 'time'-I am currently stuck with TWO Sonic 2 carts that are actually fairly functioning but never seem to get past the title screen with music.

And I think you all know just how important music is to a lot of gamers out there, ESPECIALLY with a game like Sonic 2

So here's the deets: It Plays, yeah sometimes it doesn't play. Usually it starts up with the sega and it'll either cut off in the middle or a FFOSHSHFH sound will surprise me. Then the varying effects starting themes will begin, sometimes just the drums and then nothing, then sometimes it all is there and you hear harmonic undertones that don't go away and ablablablablabla.

And universally NEVER ANY MUSIC IN THE LEVELS. The first one I got which seemed even more broken after several cleans atleast had sound effects, but my nicer looking one doesn't even get FX! I have cleaned both twice, and I cleaned my genesis using the credit card wrapped in cloth trick. And I have like 6 other genesis games that work great. I'm pretty convinced it's just busted...

So I'm curious, for a start if you guys had any tips on these functioning but sadly musically castrated cartridges. But rather I'm more curious, what the heck is wrong with them? They visually WORK and gameplay wise generally work(they do fuck up though every now and then). So what got the music fucked and is it fixable?

Thanks a lot for any help,
    David

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sonic 2

Might not even be worth the effort to fix it, since Sonic 2 is soooo common. If you want to fix it then you will have to open the cart and use a multimeter on all the traces. Check for broken solder joints, check rom chips etc.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It could be your console, try the games in another one first to rule that out. I came across a SNES system that couldn't play the music correctly and at least one game froze every time before the title screen, but every game worked fine on another system so the console was the problem.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It could be your console, try the games in another one first to rule that out. I came across a SNES system that couldn't play the music correctly and at least one game froze every time before the title screen, but every game worked fine on another system so the console was the problem.
    thank you gameguy, I'll hunt down a cheap genesis or find a friend with one to see if that changes things up.

thank you too stax.