Thread: NES Controllers do not work!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Controllers do not work!?

I just got a NES with 2 controllers and some games. I haven't owned a NES in about 16 years so I don't really know the tricks.

Anyway, I plugged it in, using the SCART (is that what it's called?) cable rather than the old antenna cable thingy.

Anywaaaay, the games start up fine, and the picture is clear, and I get sound in the beginning. However, my controllers do absolutely NOTHING! I have no idea why. If I unplug the controller while the start menu is up, things happen, and the game acts as if I pushed the start-button, but I just pulled the plug out. If I put the plug in again, nothing happens.

So, why is everything working fine except the controllers? What are the chances of getting two completely broken controllers with your NES? I think there is something else wrong here, but I don't know anything. :P

Help me out?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Disassembly

Disassemble the controllers and give them a good Alcohol scrubbing with Q tips. If that doesn't work, then you will have to open up the NES and make sure the controller ports are connected properly with the motherboard.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's pretty unlikely that both controllers are not working properly, it sounds more like a motherboard issue.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The controller ports (where you plug in the controller cables) may be damaged from being plugged and unplugged over the years. You should go inside and check them to see if the tiny board on the back of the ports is cracked, or if any soldering has come undone.

Also check for any foreign material inside the ports, like dirt.

Here's what the port looks like:

http://www.rewind-bits.co.uk/media/c...m/img_2195.jpg

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a problem with my model 1 genesis, the up button would work on any controller plugged in to controller port 1, so I opened it up and the solder on one of the pins connecting the controller port to the motherboard was cracked. I just heated the solder back up and it melted back together and it has worked ever since. Good luck. Just look for discoloration or cracks in the solder.
    Just my two coins.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I opened up the controllers and everything looked solid and clean to me. But I don't have a screwdriver suitable for screwing the console open so I haven't checked there yet. Those screws are pretty far in. Anyway, what if the board is broken? Can I get a new port from somewhere or is my NES ruined for life?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right, so I got myself a good screwdriver, a soldering iron and some electronics cleaner spray. I open up my NES, and... everything looks fine! I don't know my way around circuit boards, but I couldn't find anything strange. No loose wires, no odd-looking solder and barely any dirt or dust at all! I've sprayed on some cleaner to get rid of any potential dirt or grease from it, waiting for it to have some effect and then I'll try and start it up again.

What else should I look for while I'm at it? Should I resolder all the pins just to make sure?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGamesDude View Post
    It's pretty unlikely that both controllers are not working properly, it sounds more like a motherboard issue.
    Agreed but you may still want to try another confirmed working controller just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jordandavid View Post
    I had a problem with my model 1 genesis, the up button would work on any controller plugged in to controller port 1, so I opened it up and the solder on one of the pins connecting the controller port to the motherboard was cracked. I just heated the solder back up and it melted back together and it has worked ever since. Good luck. Just look for discoloration or cracks in the solder.
    The NES doesn't connect the pins directly to the board like that, the sockets use plug in connectors to the mainboard. You are correct though that it's a pretty common problem when buying used Genesis consoles as people wrap the cords around the system while plugged in, which breaks the connections over time in storage.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So... any idea what else might be wrong with my NES, then?