Thread: Lets hear about some game related ruined memory's....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lets hear about some game related ruined memory's....

You know, since Ive got back into gamein Ive come across some real gems I never played. River city ransom, Megaman 7, Gun.smoke...etc etc.

This aint about those.....

This is about those games you liked but now for what ever reason lost there charm.

For me pit fighter always come to mind. I loved that game but playin it years later, It wasn't worth the couple of bucks i spent on it. That's an easy one to bash though.

Super double dragon on the other hand may have some followers here. Im not bashing it. Im just saying that its not what I remember. Truth is I never owned this one but a cousin of mine did and I constantly played at his house. I just picked it up off ebay (for more then i probably should have) and it seems slow. The streets of rage series stood up against the passage of time. Meh... who knows...

Anyways... Lets hear about some real let downs!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use to love Super Mario Bros on Nes. But despite the tricks, warps and power ups, I find that game so plain compared to Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, especially 3. I don't think SMB1 is a horrible game but it's way too boring for me to ever go back and play thru it entirely unless I was attempting a speed run.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Days of Thunder. I distinctly remember enjoying the crap out of this game. A few years back I picked it up. When I got home I fired it up right away. I played once, then put it on the shelf. I played a lot of racing and flying games. I played the shit out of Sky Jinks for the 2600 and F117 Night Storm for the Genesis. Now I can't play either one. F117 is still ok I guess but not nearly as much fun as I used to think it was. I suppose that has more to do with the fact that simulations in general don't stand up to the test of time. A game like Sprint is as fun today as it was in 1978.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Bases Loaded on NES for an entire week while I had a stomach flu. From then on, and even years later, whenever I played Bases Loaded my head started to spin and my stomach too!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

A chunk of the Atari 2600 catalog. Sure, many classics are still playable today, but many others have not fared so well. I doubt that the soccer game we used to play on the 2600 would still be enjoyable now. Or Donkey Kong 2600 (where DK is a brown monster and the fireballs in the rivets level look like cats on fire)...

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know if I'd call it "ruined memories" because the memories are still good ones, but there are a bunch of games that I loved playing through years back I just simply don't have the time/patience for these days. Lots of 16 and 32bit era RPGs, for instance. I never much liked random battles or fetch quests but nowadays I have a hard time even tolerating them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ruined video game memories? Well, there was that time I walked in on my cousin fapping to a paused game of Street Fighter II on SNES with Chun-Li high-kicking and showing crotch.

That ruined the game for me and I couldn't play it for years after. Or is that not what you meant?
    Last edited by tubeway; 03-23-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Ruined video game memories? Well, there was that time I walked in on my cousin fapping to a paused game of Street Fighter II on SNES with Chun-Li high-kicking and showing crotch.

That ruined the game for me and I couldn't play it for years after. Or is that not what you meant?
    I can only imagine his fun with Tomb Raider a few years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post

Cammy always did it for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

My N64 memory pak wiping my Blast Corps and Turok data...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

For me, it'd be Duck Dodgers: Starring Daffy Duck on the N64.

I remember when my mom went over to a local video store, I asked her to get Pokémon Pinball for me, but it was already gone, so she instead randomly chose Duck Dodgers for me; knowing that I like Looney Tunes. Although frustrating at points (Especially the damned Pong mini-game from the 2nd level), I found myself enjoying it. When I revisited it years later (When revisiting a lot of lesser-known N64 games I remember renting as a kid), it had not aged well; I couldn't get over how poor the controls where, which kept me from enjoying it like I did years before.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragon Warrior (1, 3, and 4) and Final Fantasy for NES.

I want to still love them as much as I used to. I spent a good portion of my childhood playing and beating DW1, 4, and FF (never did beat DW3). But even attempting to play them in their original form is a challenge now. They're so repetitive and grindy.

At least Final Fantasy for NES got many remakes over the years, each one tending to tweak little bits to make it feel a bit more modern and enjoyable.

Dragon Quest 4for DS is nice to look at, but it still feels like a game that has mechanics that didn't age well.
    - Excellent deals on used video games from the 8 and 16-bit era. Better than eBay prices almost every time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    A chunk of the Atari 2600 catalog. Sure, many classics are still playable today, but many others have not fared so well. I doubt that the soccer game we used to play on the 2600 would still be enjoyable now. Or Donkey Kong 2600 (where DK is a brown monster and the fireballs in the rivets level look like cats on fire)...
    Seconded. And to be honest, despite the 2600 being my very first video game system(followed by the 7800) I can't stand playing anything on either of those systems today. I guess as kids we just don't know any better. Actually they were pretty fun to play as a kid but now as an adult my expectation levels for fun are much higher. I can still play Nes games and enjoy them just like I did back in the day but I pretty much avoid all Atari systems from that time period and earlier.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I really enjoyed playing NHL 2K5 on the Xbox, my opinion of it soured once I learned that there is a game-freezing glitch that always occurs at least part way through a full season of gameplay. Fortunately, this glitch was corrected future updates in the series (A valid reason to justify having NHL 2K6, an upgrade of the same game, come out a year later)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Contra. Say what you will about it being a classic, but Contra 3 kicked so much ass the original is terrible by comparison. It automatically starts you out with a machine gun, it took out those annoying pseudo-3D levels, and the Super Nintendo could actually handle the full-power of the spread gun.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Altered Beast. Playing as a Beast changing undead warrior was the most epic thing I could ever want in a video game when I was a kid, now it's just a very monotonous and simplistic game.

Fatal Fury (the 1st one) I played the hell out of this game on the Genesis and at the arcade for some reason. Game's just broken.

The Simpsons (the arcade beat em' up one) I also played this one a lot at the arcade back then but now think it's one of the most forgettable ones out of this genre (single attack button beat 'em up games like Final Fight or Streets of Rage 2 don't do it for me anymore).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Midwinter and Captive on the Amiga,i obviously had a lot of time on my hands when i was younger and playing these when originally released but when i played them a month back i could not even stand 10mins of either.I have tried to `roll back` with a few other games recently too which did not quite work like Axelay on Snes and the Desert Strike series on Megadrive,Desert Strike is a classic and i used to play it a lot back then but it just seemed awkward and annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Pretty much any flight sim for the Commodore 64.

Flight sims for the C64 do not hold up AT ALL.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/