Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3DS or replace DSLite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope Nintendo makes a DS micro now, like a mini tablet with a slide out part for the controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I was toying with the idea of getting a 3DS but much like you there's just nothing to pull me in that's out there right now. That having been said I will eventually get one just not anytime soon barring some excellent must-have title. Since seeing this thread, I've been thinking about getting an XL but the one thing holding me back from doing this is the lack of the GBA slot on the bottom. I noticed that you mentioned GBA compatibility as a part of your decision in the OP. did you find a solution for the XL or was that a casualty?
    I'm honestly leaning towards returning my XL and replacing my Lite. The larger pixels on the XL are significant enough that games that use 3D textures as opposed to sprites (DQIX, FFIV, etc) look significantly worse IMO than on my old one. I took the XL to a friends house today and compared my XL to his Lite and while the screen is much larger on the XL, the images seem crisp and smooth on the smaller screen of the Lite. I'm definitely not going to get a regular DSi unless I find out that the screen on them is outrageously better than the Lite as I'm not going to use the DS store or the wifi capabilities to surf the internet.

There is an emulation solution to play GBA games on the DSi/XL, but it involves buying a specific card, blah blah blah. I have no idea if all of the games would even work with it. I'm not going down that road. I have between 30 and 50 GBA titles and I'd rather just play them on the same system as my DS games.

To make matters even more ridiculous...a friend just walked up and handed me a brand new 3DS today. I guess it was make-up for a couple of birthdays he'd missed. I didn't see that one coming. Still haven't opened it up since it really doesn't solve my lack of DS playability as the scaling on them is TERRIBLE for DS games.

Does anyone have any side by side screen experience with the DSi and the DSL? Is it THAT significant?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    To make matters even more ridiculous...a friend just walked up and handed me a brand new 3DS today. I guess it was make-up for a couple of birthdays he'd missed. I didn't see that one coming. Still haven't opened it up since it really doesn't solve my lack of DS playability as the scaling on them is TERRIBLE for DS games.
    , that's funny, and awesome.

Go return the XL, but TRY the 3DS before you buy anything else.

The 1:1 mode on the 3DS for normal DS titles looks razor sharp and perfect, it's just a little smaller. I've logged hundreds of hours on the Game Boy Micro, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Might bother you, but it's at least worth a shot, IMO. Hold "Start & Select" when booting a DS title to change the screen mode to 1:1

Enjoy the 3DS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    , that's funny, and awesome.

Go return the XL, but TRY the 3DS before you buy anything else.

The 1:1 mode on the 3DS for normal DS titles looks razor sharp and perfect, it's just a little smaller. I've logged hundreds of hours on the Game Boy Micro, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Might bother you, but it's at least worth a shot, IMO. Hold "Start & Select" when booting a DS title to change the screen mode to 1:1

Enjoy the 3DS!
    I've done a lot of research while I should have been working today. I also went and played a DSi during lunch to get a feel for the screen. So the DSi's screen is pretty damn good. It's making me lean towards taking back the XL for the DSi and just using my Micro for the GBA titles (and eventually get a GBA2). Basically I've done a 180 in about a day in regards to what I want

I also decided to return the 3DS since there are absolutely zero games that I want to play right now. OoT and the new StarFox games look awesome, but I don't need OoT for sure and StarFox is one game. I'm not in a bad financial position so I can always buy one down the road when something comes out that I can't live without playing. It might be a dick move to return a gift like that but I also can't really justify having a piece of new hardware that will literally be put on a shelf for months and months. I have the receipt so I'll probably just tell them to put the money back on my friend's card.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kid Icarus!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    Kid Icarus!