Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey SatoshiMatrix, I got your unit in this weekend and finally got a chance to test it today. It does indeed have the high pitched whine sound so I guess I will have to get with Tofu and ship that one back. Hopefully they can just ship the new unit to you without going through me to save on some time and shipping. I did a quick comparison with my FC-16 Go that I bought last year. Here are my observations:

FC-16 Go often freezes for no reason. Observed freezing on Street Fighter 2, and Dragon Quest 6 reproduction cart multiple times. However Supaboy often does not want to boot up. About half the time the game I put in would not boot but once it did it would not freeze or mess up.

I like the buttons on the Supaboy better. They are using a dpad very similar to the SNES and they are responsive. The FC-16 Go uses a "broken" dpad design similar to the Playstation. The FC-16 Go buttons must really be mashed down to register. For example when playing Axelay to move left I pushed lightly until the left dpad button made contact however it didn't register. I really had to push with effort to move my aircraft. The Supaboy does not have this problem.

The screens of the two devices are similar size and quality. The Supaboy has more vivid and rich warmer colors while the FC-16 Go has a more "cooler" appearance without as much color saturation. Preference will be subjective as I preferred the look of the Supaboy screen but my wife preferred the screen of the FC-16 Go.

The sound I have to give the nod to the FC-16 Go. Its sound is more rich with a bit more bass and it gets a LOT louder than the Supaboy. That's not to say the Supaboy's sound is bad. It is quite good but not quite loud enough for my tastes. On the other hand the FC-16 Go can get so loud that the sound is distorted. I never crank that one all the way up because it sounds bad.

Here are the game carts I tested:

Dragon Quest VI for Super Famicom
    Dragon Quest VI reproduction with English text
    Super Aleste for Super Famicom
    Mega Man X3
    Star Fox
    Star Fox 2 reproduction cart
    Street Fighter II
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Secret of Mana 2 Reproduction with English text
    Terranigma Reproduction with English text
    Super Everdrive

The carts I tested worked on both systems with the exception of Star Fox 2 which would not work on the FC-16 Go. The other exception was the Super Famicom games which are blocked from working on the FC-16 Go for some stupid reason. I could probably remove those tabs but haven't gotten around to it yet. Star Fox 2 booted on FC-16 Go but gave me a weird error that the game must have a controller installed to play. Not sure why that happened but the game booted just fine on the Supaboy.

Overall I really like the Supaboy and may decide to sell my FC-16 Go and get the Supaboy instead. I only with the sound was better/louder (without the high pitched squeeky noise) but I definitely had an easier time pulling off dragon punches and hadokens on the Supaboy Dpad.

I will throw on a quick n dirty video of the two once I get a chance....
    Last edited by Purkeynator; 12-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.