Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Nintendo's next home console entice the early adopters/graphic whores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to be very disappointed if this new nintendo console is not going to be much more powerful than the 360. The original poster is right... the march of technology over the past 5 years means that Nintendo could produce a console that would be considerably more powerful than the PS3/360 yet still be able to turn a profit from day one.

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox 360:
    CPU 3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
    GPU Equivalent to ATI R500 Series
    512Mb RAM (GDDR3)

Project Cafe Rumor (my speculation):
    CPU 3.6 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Broadway
    GPU Equivalent to AMD R700 Series, 512Mb GDDR5 Dedicated VRAM
    4Gb DDR3

Let's keep in mind that the 360 struggles to run games natively at 1080p. Even on the PS3, not everyone designs for that large of a resolution. If the Cafe defaults to 1080p, and there's a quality standard that sets minimum framerates, I think Nintendo would have a competent next-gen console. My 4850 held its own at 1080p, and a standardized console platform always yields better results from devs. They may even do well, because the price target of $249 is actually somewhat realistic with these specs. I would expect Sony to counter with a $399 quad-core (or 12-core Cell?), GeForce 560 machine, but Nintendo's head start could make up for the the performance gap.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I, for one, welcome our rumored underpowered Nintendo box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, looks like Nintendo themselves has weighed in on this subject. I'm sure some of you have seen the articles by now, I can't believe there's not a post about it already, but Nintendo says their new system will be out by holiday '12, and that it'll be significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. And that they want to "recapture the hardcore gamers". I am, frankly, shocked. Not that I didn't think they'd be capable, I just didn't think they'd try.

The best news, though, is that the new system, codenamed Project Cafe, will use a normal controller! I'm sure there'll still be a motion peripheral, like Move or Kinect, but knowing that every system will be bundled with a standard controller makes me very happy.

Of course, those controllers sound like they might cost around $80 a pop, which sucks, but we'll have to wait and see. E3 is going to be very interesting this year.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've checked GameSpot, IGN, 1Up, and several other mainstream sites that are all usually pretty quick with news, especially something like you just suggested.

Where is this official confirmation from Nintendo? All I'm finding is all the rumors that have been flying over the past several days.

Nothing you said about a confirmation of all these details from Nintendo appears to be true, as best as I can tell.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-18-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html

Couldn't have looked too hard, it's right on IGN's main page. I also read some about it on Gamespy's main page.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did you read that article? There is no confirmation of anything from Nintendo at that page.

The closest Nintendo has ever weighed in on this subject over the past few days is to state that they don't comment on rumors or speculation. They haven't weighed in on this subject. They haven't said that their new system will be out by Christmas 2012. They didn't say that it would be significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. They didn't say they wanted to recapture the hardcore gamers. They didn't announce that it's codename is Project Cafe. And they didn't announce that it would use a standard controller.

They're all still rumors at this point, you misunderstood if you think Nintendo has came out and actually confirmed all of this like your post said. I would've thought that things at that link such as "according to our sources", "French website 01.net has published additional details (via Develop)", "but we were unable to confirm the accuracy of the report", "additional details about the console's hardware specs could also not be confirmed", "our sources also said Nintendo will show first and third party titles at the event", "it's unsure if they'll be playable or only in video form", and "sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device" would've been obvious tip offs that we're still at the rumor stage.

I'm not trying to be a jerk so I hope you didn't take this the wrong way, but nothing at that link even hints that Nintendo has said anything about this system yet as far as concrete details go. The same with GameSpy (Their front page article you referenced about this is even titled "Rumor Roundup").

It's all uncomfirmed rumors at this point. Only time will tell what, if any of this, is even correct.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-18-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Did you read that article? There is no confirmation of anything from Nintendo at that page.

The closest Nintendo has ever weighed in on this subject over the past few days is to state that they don't comment on rumors or speculation. They haven't weighed in on this subject. They haven't said that their new system will be out by Christmas 2012. They didn't say that it would be significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. They didn't say they wanted to recapture the hardcore gamers. They didn't announce that it's codename is Project Cafe. And they didn't announce that it would use a standard controller.

They're all still rumors at this point, so I'm not sure why you posted something saying Nintendo has came out and actually confirmed all of this. I would've thought that things at that link such as "according to our sources", "French website 01.net has published additional details (via Develop)", "but we were unable to confirm the accuracy of the report", "additional details about the console's hardware specs could also not be confirmed", "our sources also said Nintendo will show first and third party titles at the event", "it's unsure if they'll be playable or only in video form", and "sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device" would've been tip offs that we're still a the rumor stage.

Nothing at that link even hints that Nintendo has said anything. The same with GameSpy (I would think that main page article titled "Rumor Roundup" for all these Wii HD rumors would've been self explanatory).
    It's too much of a leak to not be at least partially true. Perhaps some details are off, but it is certain that Nintendo will have the most powerful system in late 2012. There's a high-ranking mole in there somewhere, or Nintendo may have purposely leaked it themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't doubt a new console is coming and I'd bet good money on it coming in 2012. Click on my name and read my recent post (Which have largely been about this subject) and you'll see I'm among the people predicting this is coming.

Just the same, it's still unofficial and we don't know what, if any, of these details are true. Even the part about significantly being more powerful than the PS3 and 360 might not be accurate, although I think it makes perfect sense to expect it to be a good bit more powerful.

We're still solidly in the rumor stage at this point. And doesn't it seem at all odd that one site announces a rumor and suddenly within hours, every site out there is seemingly coming out with rumors of another facet of the WiiHD?

Seems likely that at least a healthy portion of what we've been reading over the past few days could very well end up being false. Proclaiming anything as confirmed until they're actually confirmed is just misleading at this point.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-18-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sources have confirmed to EDGE Magazine that third-party studios including those of Electronic Arts, Activision and Ubisoft have had development kits of the Wii successor for months :

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/8...have-dev-kits/

This new console IS real.
    From the Alpha... to the Omega

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, they confirmed that there are rumors of said possession of dev kits.

Hoo boy, it's going to be a long wait for E3... >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I don't doubt a new console is coming and I'd bet good money on it coming in 2012. Click on my name and read my recent post (Which have largely been about this subject) and you'll see I'm among the people predicting this is coming.

Just the same, it's still unofficial and we don't know what, if any, of these details are true. Even the part about significantly being more powerful than the PS3 and 360 might not be accurate, although I think it makes perfect sense to expect it to be a good bit more powerful.

We're still solidly in the rumor stage at this point. And doesn't it seem at all odd that one site announces a rumor and suddenly within hours, every site out there is seemingly coming out with rumors of another facet of the WiiHD?

Seems likely that at least a healthy portion of what we've been reading over the past few days could very well end up being false. Proclaiming anything as confirmed until they're actually confirmed is just misleading at this point.
    Some of the magazines are quoting some very reliable sources. These sources likely are proven to be high-ranking and in the company. CNN wouldn't trust info from just anyone, I'd hope.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Penny Arcade Confirms:
    -Nintendo will have the REAL Santa Claus at their E3 booth to promote the new console.

Very reliable source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Some of the magazines are quoting some very reliable sources. These sources likely are proven to be high-ranking and in the company. CNN wouldn't trust info from just anyone, I'd hope.
    Still doesn't mean that they don't qualify as rumors. Something can't be confirmed until it's actually confirmed.

CNN is hardly the premier news organization out there. I remember watching it on September 11th or the next day and seeing their reporters discussing the United States Navy sending out some battleships to sea.

Was a pretty fancy trick since the Navy had retired the last such ship nearly 10 years prior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So nothing but more rumors huh. Looks like E3 can't come soon enough.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is getting ridiculous.

Anything that hasn't been included in an official Nintendo press release is a RUMOR.

That said, at this point there's no reason to believe that the rumors aren't fairly accurate, given how many sources are coming forward with them. There will almost surely be a new console, but the details are still sketchy.

I can't wait for E3.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can hear Iwata now...

"Last Farr, we announce new Tree Dee Essu, which yoos neu tech gnaw roh ji. Tree Dee is a neu wai of expeliancing gemus. This is guod, but some time, consumer want expeliance gemus in more selius wai..."

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what you guys are talking about... I've been playing Radiant Silvergun 3D on my Cafe Ole since yesterday. Freaking incredible. The rotary CPU architecture is what makes it a Supra Nintendo. The controller screen is the coolest. It uses holographic emitters, but instead of projecting photons it projects any/all subatomic particles so it creates holo-projections of matter, not merely light. Everytime I use the sword breaker I need to re-roof my house! There was something about a gravity particle warning... Threw that shit out! Screw you and your lame warnings Nintendo! OH SHIIII>>>..... *
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    It uses holographic emitters, but instead of projecting photons it projects any/all subatomic particles so it creates holo-projections of matter, not merely light.
    Dude... that wasn't a goomba you just jumped on. No wonder PETA hates video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Now there is a report that says Project Café may not even use any motion controls:

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...s-for-nintendo

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the controller replaces the need for a TV? I don't think people quite understand how nice a feature that is for families with kids. Parents can watch TV again, while the kids play console games on a handheld unit.

Watch the real thing be a slimmer Wii with DVD playback. They promised us DVD playback...