Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Nintendo's next home console entice the early adopters/graphic whores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Now there is a report that says Project Café may not even use any motion controls:

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...s-for-nintendo
    If this is true (not just the lack of motion controls, but the other details), it sounds like a bad idea.

Instead of going from one novelty to another, I'd like to see them build on what the Wii has.
    Last edited by j_factor; 04-19-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    If this is true (not just the lack of motion controls, but the other details), it sounds like a bad idea.
    I tend to agree, but there are many who say they hate motion controls. Perhaps offer both crowds something? An optional wand/nunchuck, and the controller with screen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the "wave your arm around" type of motion controls myself. It's fine in small doses, but gets old fast. However, the Wii controller really does more than that. I was hoping for this sort of control to become standard next gen, because I find aiming with the Wii remote to be vastly superior to moving a cursor with an analog stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I know this is just an artist's conception, but it looks damn cool anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty neat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    This thread is getting ridiculous.

Anything that hasn't been included in an official Nintendo press release is a RUMOR.

That said, at this point there's no reason to believe that the rumors aren't fairly accurate, given how many sources are coming forward with them.
    Thanks, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one that understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Now there is a report that says Project Café may not even use any motion controls:
    Hard to believe that they won't be present in some capacity, especially with the rumors of Wii backwards compatibility which I think everyone tends to believe at this time. With the rumors of the gamepad type device with a touchscreen also serving as a Wii sensor bar, I wouldn't be surprised to see a seperate Wii like controller ship for the thing with motion capabilities.

So perhaps the rumor means it just won't be integrated into this controller we're speculating about, rather than just not being there at all for the system

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    So the controller replaces the need for a TV? I don't think people quite understand how nice a feature that is for families with kids. Parents can watch TV again, while the kids play console games on a handheld unit.
    It sounds like a very promising idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Oh boy, now here comes Microsoft with it's XBox 720 rumors...

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/56...inect-and-xbox

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    So the controller replaces the need for a TV? I don't think people quite understand how nice a feature that is for families with kids. Parents can watch TV again, while the kids play console games on a handheld unit.
    Why not just get a second TV for the kids to use? I doubt there's actually many people who only have one TV right now, 10 years ago sure but not now. Though it's neat to know they could be copying ideas like the TurboExpress or Sega Nomad well over a decade(or two) after those came out.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or when 1 player is using the main display, playing something off disk or what have you, others might be able to access VC/Ware digital games and play on their controller screens? That might be neat. Opens a door for multitask console gaming. While you are playing a turn based game, you can have a second controller where you are playing Uno or something. It's the whole GC/GBA thing again if so. I don't think we should discount the potential 3DS connectivity (or existing Wii remotes for that matter)... Is it going to be Nintendo that brings 3D to the masses with that combo?

Yeah, June is a ways away...
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-20-2011 at 07:55 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Why not just get a second TV for the kids to use? I doubt there's actually many people who only have one TV right now, 10 years ago sure but not now. Though it's neat to know they could be copying ideas like the TurboExpress or Sega Nomad well over a decade(or two) after those came out.
    My rationale is that while it's true that families have multiple TVs today, the game console is probably hooked to the big one. They're marketing consoles to families now, not just as something to stick in a kid's room. The parents probably use the console for Netflix and play it themselves occasionally, but the kids are going to want to play Pokemon all night. Most people aren't going to move a console between TVs all the time to reclaim their main screen. For Nintendo's target crowd, I really like this idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Source? And don't say 4chan, or I will physically reach my hand through the internet to slap you.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 04-21-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Source? And don't say 4chan, or I will physically reach my hand through the internet to slap you.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/rumors/...e-controllers/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand the whole "screen built into the controller" thing. If I wanted to play a game on my controller, wouldn't I just buy a 3DS? Am I missing something?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I don't understand the whole "screen built into the controller" thing. If I wanted to play a game on my controller, wouldn't I just buy a 3DS? Am I missing something?
    What does the DS do that the GBA can't? Apply that answer to a home console. Whether it's good or meh depends on the game and implementation, but if the DS is any indicator of how a second screen can enhance the experience...

It's certainly more than the VMU. Nobody really found a good use for the VMU beyond showing information. It was rarely interactive during gameplay. With a touch screen, there's a lot more room for interaction. Developers are not constrained by button counts, either.

There's seriously tons of uses for this. I'm sure we'll see a chat interface on the controller for in-game communications, and it'll probably be decent as a drawing tool. Expect drawing games, lots and lots of drawing games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the reasons I prefer consoles over handhelds is so I don't have to stare down at a little screen. I get neck cramps. (Or arm cramps, if I try to hold it up to my face.) The links above don't talk about it being a separate screen and an integrated part of the controls like you're saying; they talk about streaming the whole game to the little screen. IMO what you're suggesting wouldn't work very well either. The DS works because the screens are right next to each other. I don't want to be looking up at the TV, then down at the controller, then back to the TV, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Wow, possibly this Fall now, from between $350-$400, maybe to be called Stream (perfect name). Please be true. Specs in link:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Why not just get a second TV for the kids to use?
    It's not like having a built in touch screen means that suddenly stopped being an option.

I personally think Nintendo is on to something with this, if true. For example, when watching a Formula One race, I'll often grab my SP and do something like a run through in Outrun during a safety car period.And sometimes, I just want to lay back and relax. Will be nice to have a console game still be an option rather than having to go with a handheld under those circumstances. And for parents with this system hooked up to the living room set, they can still watch tv while their kids play the game console. No one in their right mind is going to be unhooking and moving around a console on a whim from tv to tv.

If they're going to build in a touch screen for control purposes, I think it's a smart decision to also allow it to display a video stream sent to it from the console. Why not let it be an option? It isn't like it would be forced upon anyone. It's there if you want it and is a neat alternative use for it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-22-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    One of the reasons I prefer consoles over handhelds is so I don't have to stare down at a little screen. I get neck cramps. (Or arm cramps, if I try to hold it up to my face.) The links above don't talk about it being a separate screen and an integrated part of the controls like you're saying; they talk about streaming the whole game to the little screen. IMO what you're suggesting wouldn't work very well either. The DS works because the screens are right next to each other. I don't want to be looking up at the TV, then down at the controller, then back to the TV, etc.
    I understand your concerns, but imagine playing Zelda on your TV, and the map is on the screen on your controller. Or how about Playing Mario Kart heads up. You use the TV's screen, your friend uses the controller. It has its uses.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think that the aim is the dual screen concept that the DS fully realized, just brought to consoles... Where your TV is the top screen and the controller screen is the bottom. Instead of integrating touch screen functions where people need a special main display, you get a touch enabled console right out of the box. Pretty cool if you think about it. In many respects, even better than the Wiimote pointer.

If it can use the Wii remote, like some of the rumors indicate, that could mean this new box could have motion, traditional and touch controls all starting day one... Plus perhaps 3D with the 3DS, even playing on an SD set with composite... Insanely mass friendly.

So, they want gimmicks huh? We'll show 'em how you gimmick a box, yet again.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-22-2011 at 08:16 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives