Thread: What do you know about double jump?

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Default What do you know about double jump?

So I have been brainstorming an idea lately about a documentary type video I'd like to do. Documentary might be the perfect word but it's the best I can come up with for now. The subject matter is something that I think hasn't really been covered before, and it's something kind of unconventional, but that's the kind of angle I'm going for. The whole thing is going to be about the double jump.

Now I know most of you are probably thinking, "Why would you make a documentary about double jumping? That sucks. You suck." Well, yes that's all most likely true, but I think it will be a fun little project. It's not meant to be taken too seriously. It also probably won't be anywhere near feature length so don't think I'm talking about hour's worth of video here.

Anyway, my thinking is that I would go over the history of double jumping in games, early games that did it, etc etc, the variations on the double jump (hovering, whether you can course correct or not, etc), and what effect the mechanic has on gameplay/difficulty. Then spice it up with opinions/anecdotes from gamers like you (yes, you!) and maybe even a montage!

I know it's kind of a silly idea, but that's ok with me. Silly works. So my question to the DP community is this. What would you like to see in a documentary of this style? Do you have any anecdotes, memories, or information you would like to share? If I enjoy doing this one and if it turns out well I'll probably do a few more on different gaming concepts or mechanics or what have you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

I would watch it.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I'd watch it too. I used to love the first times that I figured the game had a double jump feature. I sometimes still use it this day to just gain more ground faster in a game lol.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know how many games I stopped playing because I had never heard of a "Double Jump". I would get to a level and it would seem impossible. "How the hell can I get over that pit? It is just to far!" I would use to think almost every game was poorly programmed. Then, one day, by accident, I performed a Double Jump. I just accidently did it and boy could I jump far! I still can't beat the games, but at least I know the programmers aren't on crack! </sarc>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I know it seems like no big deal today, and it's a rather inconsequential thing as far as video games go, but that's sort of why I want to explore its past. It's one of those things that seems to have sprung up out of nowhere and no one seems to question it. It kind of reminds me of laughter in a way. Everyone does it and it is entirely universal among humans, and yet no one really knows why we do it or how it came to be. Now obviously, double jumping isn't exactly a great mystery of mankind or anything, but like I said, this isn't to be taken seriously. It is meant to be tongue-firmly-in-cheek.

Also, the title of this thread isn't meant to be confrontational, so I hope it wasn't taken that way. I wasn't attempting to imply that as gamers the community doesn't understand such a simple mechanic, it was simply a title I came up with to express the content within. Anyway, the main point to take away from this is that yes, I know people here aren't stupid, and that I am planning to do this simply for fun.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone ever thought how impossible double jumping really is?

If so, why's it so common?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

This is actually kinda intriguing, in a funny kind of way. My theory is that developer's wanted an alternative to flying, which was always a trait that was typically designated to superheroes. However, if the video game characters they created were able to just fly over extremely large pits, then why not just fly during the whole course of the stage? Thus, they made their limitation in the air in the form of a double jump. >_< Although sometimes the character can both fly AND double jump.

Also, don't forget; double jumping is in fighting games too. It's actually the first thing I thought of, but that's mostly because I pretty much only play fighting games.

Interesting article that I'm sure you've seen:

http://www.giantbomb.com/double-jump/92-1/

Funny topic. I'd definitely be interested in seeing this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Yeah I did see that Giant Bomb article. It was pretty helpful in getting some kind of list of games that have a double jump in them. This is actually something that's been taking up a lot of my time on this project. I've been playing every game I can think of to see which ones have double jumps and what nuances are in each.

For example, I know I have played games like Dragon Buster where you need to time your second jump almost perfectly in order to pull it off. Usually you'll need to hit the jump again right at the peak of the first jump. Unfortunately, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of games that have a very strict double jump.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Has anyone ever thought how impossible double jumping really is?

If so, why's it so common?
    It's fair. Why would you even try the physically impossible in a game that is mimicking somewhat real physics? It's a bit unintuitive. Some games have made arrangements to give physical cue and explanation for the double jump, since it is physically impossible. Take the Air Hikes magically appearing platform from DMC. Or the flap of Alucard's cloak-wings in SotN. Powersuit accomplishes a Screw Attack series of jumps in Metroid. The last two use methods of propulsion. Dante brings a demonic step stool.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-10-2011 at 04:21 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always think of stage 2 on Revenge Of Shinobi (megadrive) when double jump is mentioned,pain in the ass when it does not happen despite you pressing the button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smurf (Coleco, VCS)
    Is that a game with a 'double jump'?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Ok so I've been doing plenty of "research" (aka playing tons of games to try out their double jumps) and writing up a script and an outline etc. What I could use is some help in naming games that use double jumps, either well or poorly. I mostly could use suggestions of older games that use double jumps, as most of the examples I've thought of so far are modern. Can anyone help me out?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you'll include the concept of wall-jumping as a double-jump (which I could see...but feel free to refute) Batman, Ninja Gaiden, and Megaman X were some of the first I played that had that.

For strict in-the-air double jumping...Monster in My Pocket (nes) had it and it was really controllable I felt. Wai Wai World 2 (famicom) had it done well too. The Megaman X series (from X3 on I believe) had fairly good use of the double jump through the use of upgrades but it wasn't a default ability.

I feel like the first double jump was maybe a happy accident. Ie, someone testing jump code and realizing there was nothing stopping you from jumping again...so why not build on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

That's definitely an interesting theory on the origin, ha, I can see myself thinking the same in that situation. And thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burn_654 View Post
    If you'll include the concept of wall-jumping as a double-jump (which I could see...but feel free to refute) Batman, Ninja Gaiden, and Megaman X were some of the first I played that had that.
    A more recent example is Super Mario 64, too.

Also, I don't know if this counts, but the Yoshi's Island/Yoshi's Story games have somewhat of a double-jump (maybe more of a hover-jump).
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-15-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I checked with the instructions from Smurf on VCS:

Push joystick 'up' whilst running to make Smurf jump forward. Push it 'up' straight away again do make a bigger jump forward. If not done, you cannot jump over the fence.

Definitely the origin is on Smurf (Coleco, VCS) 1983, I'd consider this a double jump for sure
    Last edited by tom; 04-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.