Thread: Strange Supergrax appearance

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strange Supergrax appearance

I found a cheap one on eBay for $100, I just got it today everything is fine other than it has a perfectly round hole drilled through the case about 8inches from the left on the very front of the console, and also there's a perfect square cut out in the back on the right side, it has black patches over them now, but does anyone know what they were used for? The console works perfectly I'm just wondering what in the hell these are.

Here are the pics:

Front - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mes/photo2.jpg

Back - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mes/photo3.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm maybe it was modded at one time, and they un-modded it. You are gonna have to ship it to me to verify.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just noticed this on the side above the AV port, looks like some kinda video output mod or a Turbografx 16 contoller mod, I was so excited about playing mine today that I didn't even pay attention to anything when I was plugging everything in, also I know it's a little off topic, but does it hurt to plug this or a Turbo Duo RX or any Japanese game console straight into a USA wall outlet? I bought a power converter box just to be sure, but I was just wondering.

Port - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mes/photo4.jpg

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've received items like that in the past, missing screws, prevoious mod attempts, if these things were not disclosed, or the item did not have pictures showing all this I'd be upset.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It didn't mention them in the auction but if you look at the pics really close, (on the auction) you can barley see the front hole, but the other two were not visible at all. I can't really complain though, it's a working Supergrafx for a $100 bucks, most go for well over $250 or more, depends on what comes with it, this had Daimakaimaru and it had the original system manual also, so to me it's worth a hole or two, but I would still like to know what the holes are for or was gonna be used for and what the hell that tumor is on the side of the console.
    Last edited by Guardic; 04-09-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most likely RGB mod, when I do them I replace the 5 pin din socket with a 8 pin din socket, so it looks stock, seems they opted for a panel mount connector, I assume it is not connected to anything though, if they took out the other parts of the mod, they probably just left that there to cover up the hole.

Only way to know for sure is to open it up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would it be possible to plug a standard AV cable in it just to see if it gets sound? If it does work, what kinda cable do I need to buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as your question if it's safe to operate the console here in the USA, it is. I for a long time owned a Pc Engine Duo -R and it worked just fine using US power. I think there is only like a 5 volt difference, which doesn't really matter because it get's converted internally anyways.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I took the Supergrafx apart last night and it must of had a new Moltherboard put in it, because the 8pin-din wasn't connected to anything and the board looked untouched. Does anyone know if there is a website that will do console modding or is there a site that has a tutorial on how to do it? I seen a tutorial on youtube on how to desolder the orginal 5pin-din and solder the 9pin to the board, but this looks like i'm gonna have to solder wires from the 9pin-din to the board, but I have know idea where or how.