Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did you become a Sega Dreamcast collector?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why did you become a Sega Dreamcast collector?

I got to chatting to the owner of an online game shop out of Amazon.com and I found out he was a Dreamcast collector. I'm a fan of Sega, so I naturally bought a Dreamcast and a bunch of games when it was still available in stores. I am a little surprised (and happy) that newer collectors are seeking out Sega's last system. I guess I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon after the Dreamcast was discontinued.

Any other DC collectors out there? Care to share any stories about how you got into collecting for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started collecting in 2004, however, my love for the Dreamcast did not endure more than three years. It's was an awesome console for its time, but the love faded. I have a lot of respect for those souls still devoted to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I became a Dreamcast collector only recently when a fan of my lovely blog (link below!) decided to donate a Dreamcast and a spindle of CD-Rs to me. i'm a big fan of the "try before you buy" approach, and just with the Saturn with a modchip, the Dreamcast allows me to try a free version before I go out and spend $60+ on that mint copy.

I really do like the Dreamcast as it's a great system for shumps and fighters, but I still really don't like the controller. Thank god for PS2 or Saturn to Dreamcast adapters.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I became a Dreamcast collector in March of 2000 when about a hundred soon to be dead .com resellers were selling new Dreamcast games like Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, Zombie Revenge, Dead or Alive 2, Crazy Taxi and MDK2 for $15 each.

I stopped being a collector sometime around 2004 with a little over 60 games. I think I've picked up one or two games each year since though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I decided to become a Dreamcast collector around August 1999, when Hollywood Video began renting the system and Sonic Adventure out a month early as a special promo. That's all it took for me. Of course, at the time I was telling myself this would be "my last console" so I went a little more crazy than usual.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have my launch day DC. And I also still have all my games from back then ('99-01). But I came to become a hardcore collector in 2008. I only wish I'd've become one the they it came out; I could've gotten so many great titles brand new when they started slashing-down prices. I actually was lucky to get a $10 U.S. Samba de Amigo Maracas kit and it's accompanying title for $5. I paid also paid $10 for an official racing wheel and another $10 for Seaman. All of them sealed, of course. Too bad I ended-up selling those before my 2008 decision to become a hardcore collector (I still made some money, though ). It was actually that sale, which I had to make for obvious financial reasons at the time, that made me realize I had been holding-off with those items for so long and sealed for a reason (even before I ever entered a gaming forum or learned there was such a thing as "hardcore collecting."). I traded a good haul, but I gained a new perspective as a gamer that day. It was the day that veered me towards the lifetyle of a true collector (and I've kept seeking great bargains ever since).

As for now, I've placed the Dreamcast as no. 2 just below the Genny/CD/32X in my list of favorite consoles (just above the NES, Saturn and PS2 ).

From my early days as a collector:
    1. Shenmue - (Also on the rise to second favorite game ever played)
    2. Grandia 2
    3. The House of the Dead 2
    4. Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation
    5. MK-Gold
    6. Tokyo XTreme Racer
    7. Jet Grind Radio
    8. Super Magnetic Neo
    9. Sonic Adventure
    10. Sonic Adventure 2

Games I didn't care for, but I bought anyways because they were a dollar or less and Mint CIB at Goodwill:
    1. Royal Rumble
    2. World Series Baseball 2K1
    3. World Series Baseball 2K2
    4. NFL 2K
    5. NFL 2K1
    6. NBA 2K

Games I discovered were ok, so I'm glad I also found them in that $1 or less stack:
    1. Airforce Delta
    2. Atari Anniversary Edition
    3. Sonic Shuffle

Games I always wanted since the DC's heyday, and ultimately managed to purchase:
    1. Crazi Taxi
    2. Giga Wing
    3. Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness
    4. Power Stone 2
    5. Resident Evil - Code Veronica
    6. Seaman (No Microphone or cardboard over-casing on this one. But intact, so I'll keep looking).
    7. Marvel vs. Capcom (Too bad this one has no manual)
    8. Alien Front - Online (Complete with Mic, cardboard over-casing and all other goodies)
    9. Phantasy Star Online
    10. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
    11. Omikron - The Nomad Soul
    12. Hydro Thunder
    13. Ecco the Dolphin
    14. Gauntlet Legends
    15. Centipede
    16. Silent Scope
    17. Fur Fighters
    18. Armada
    19. Soul Fighter
    20. Space Channel 5

Other Stuff:
    -Dreamcast Generator Vol. 2: (This one came packaged with the later DC units)
    -Dreamcast Mag Discs in cardboard covers 3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9. (Too bad my early, non-hardcore collector self threw the actual mags away . For that I shall forever keep looking to complete that mag and promo disc collection).
    -Browsers 1.0 and 2.0
    -Shenmue Prima Strategy Guide
    -Resident Evil Code Veronica Strategy Guide (although this one works for the PS2 version too).
    -I also recently purchased a sealed Neo Geo Pocket Color (for its awesome, though minimalistic, interphase capabilities). It is, I consider, the spiritual successor of the Game Gear (even though Majesco kept making them till 2001 and the NGPC came after the NGP .

Games I plan to buy next: (I can't wait )
    1. Skies of Arcadia
    2. Evolution
    3. Evolution 2
    4. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
    5. Dead or Alive 2
    6. Elemental Gimmick Gear
    7. Giga Wing 2
    8. Blue Stinger
    9. Carrier
    10. Zombie Revenge
    11. Crazy Taxi 2
    12. D2
    13. Dino Crisis
    14. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    15. MDK 2
    16. Record of Lodoss War
    17. Time Stalkers
    18. Silver
    19. Sword of the Berserk
    20. Soulcalibur
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 04-20-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i became a dreamcast collector when they were released,
    and when i downloaded nero soon after >
    meoooooowers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Dreamcast was actually the frist console for which I wanted to and did complete a full complete US set. I loved it from the day it came out. And, like QuickSciFi, I'm still rockin' my launch DC.

My favorite game on the DC and the one I suggest everyone acquire is the much under appreciated and seemingly forgotten "Red Dog: Superior Firepower." A stellar game both single and multiplayer. I mention this because QuickSciFi listed 1/4 of the DC library and it was nowhere to be found.

And, in regard to the number of DC collectors, it's always been a very hot collector's console. The scene has been very active ever since its demise. It's pretty much a cult classic. Everyone seems to think of it as a dirty pleasure - at least they do when I bring one over to a random party.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    My favorite game on the DC and the one I suggest everyone acquire is the much under appreciated and seemingly forgotten "Red Dog: Superior Firepower." A stellar game both single and multiplayer. I mention this because QuickSciFi listed 1/4 of the DC library and it was nowhere to be found.
    I <3 red dog!!!

also i forgot to add but my favorite game on the dc is definitly skies of arcadia with pso/sonic adventure 2 right in second
    meoooooowers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a DC at launch and have loved it ever since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i remember when the DC was released in 99.....and i was skeptical....i was one of those loyal playstation fans and when i realized the ps2 was coming out dvd ready...i decided to pass on the DC....i also felt the ps2 would have better support blahblahblah at the time..................

fast forward about 2 years later 01 i believe and i decided to visit Funcoland...the very first videogame specific store i had ever been to......i could not believe my eyes....tons of snes/genesis/n64/DREAMCAST, etc.....

That store became the greatest obsession i had ever had....started visiting at least twice a month for like a year.....it was bad!

but anyway so one day i noticed they had a loose sega sports DC on sale for like $50....with NFL 2K....i bought it of course and could not believe how amazing the grahics were and how awesome the system design was....

that was the first game since donkey kong country on snes that made me want to lick the screen!

Anyway, i've been a DC fan ever since...it was and still is a wonderful system with a huge amount of fantastic titles...i currently own about 45 of them with the most recent titles being.....MVC 2, last blade 2, and a few others that i got @ a relatively local flea market...

btw, my old sega sports version broke when i was in college,, i replaced it with white one...still works beautifully.......but also in 2009 i bought a brand new never been opened before sega sports model that came with nfl 2k and nba 2k....i paid too much but it was worth it to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Membership expired
    PSN
    My PS3 is broken

I wanted a DC to play Half Life, so i put off buying one on lauch day and waited... and waited, until i couldn't wait no more! I went into the shop to buy one and the sales assistant made a point of showing everyone who worked in the store the dreamcast box, her big 'look what i managed to sell' moment. It was only out a couple of months at this stage! I picked up all the games i wanted as they came out, Shenmue 1+2, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, far too many football games etc. Now i'm slowly inching my way to a total pal collection.
    There was a period where you could pick up pads, mice, keyboards and guns dirt cheap too, so i stocked up.
    I eventually bought Half Life for the PS2, but never finished it as i thought it got crap after you went to the alien world, and i haven't been able to go back to the Half Life games since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

My favorite DC game = Typing of the Dead
    Life is like a hurricane...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am proud to say that I still have a working Launch DC. My B-Day is in October, so I have been collecting for DC since Early October of 99.

It is by far my favorite console of all time.

The thing that got me into it: I am a Sega Fanboy. Always have been. Always will be. Moving to the DC and collecting for it was natural for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This topic is relevant to my interests. I just became a Dreamcast collector last week when I got a killer a deal on one from a seller on Sega-16. My wife has wanted this system for a while now to play Blue Stinger and the opportunity was perfect.

Currently we only have a few games:
    - Blue Stinger
    - Soul Calibur
    - Ecco
    - Unreal Tournament
    - Zombie Revenge

Crazy Taxi and Jet Grind Radio are on the way.

I'm not sure what other games to get since I never really paid much attention to this system when it was alive. I keep hearing that Shenmue is the shit, but from what I've seen of it, it really doesn't look like anything I'd want to play. The character designs and game environment look like tosh, so I'm not interested. Though with the DC having a decent sized library I have quite a lot of games to check out.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Got into Dreamcast collecting, and video game collecting after winning a DC and a pile of games from the DigitalPress Survivor game some years back. Been hooked and loving the system since.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    I'm not sure what other games to get since I never really paid much attention to this system when it was alive. I keep hearing that Shenmue is the shit, but from what I've seen of it, it really doesn't look like anything I'd want to play. The character designs and game environment look like tosh, so I'm not interested. Though with the DC having a decent sized library I have quite a lot of games to check out.
    If by tosh you mean the best the system has to offer, then you sir would be correct.

I suggest to you Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Perhaps during your vast soul consumption spree you will devour a lifeforce capable of bringing you to the realization that your Shenmue comment caused the deaths of many innocent kittens - and there will be sadness.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^That.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kafa111 View Post
    i became a dreamcast collector when they were released,
    and when i downloaded nero soon after >
    The Dreamcast was a great little console. I can't imagine why it didn't succeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somebody threw a wall of money at it. A bunch of other somebodies kept printing "rumors" about Sega dropping it at the first sign of trouble every month of its life. Then at every successful sales mile stone the first somebody and one of their biggest supporters made a press release about something else doing even better when it eventually arrived.