Thread: Looking for a scanner group to take a bunch of old gaming magazines...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Looking for a scanner group to take a bunch of old gaming magazines...

Yep. I've just received a TON of old Nintendo Power magazines from the N64 era up to the early GameCube era and now I'm wondering if there are any scanning groups out there that might want these for scanning purposes. Most of these are in fair to poor shape. Some are even worse. But I figure some folks may want these.

I also have the full runs of incite PC gaming and incite Console gaming (seven issues each) and a few random Mexican magazines. I don't really want to give them out, but someone has to preserve these, and I won't be able to do so, so.

I am -not- looking for any money other than shipping costs.

If you can help, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

i'm pretty sure all of nintendo power has been scanned in (I recall torrents of the "complete" run of them from awile ago)

the mexican stuff would be awesome to see done though (lots of unreleased stuff seems to get reviewed/pictured in foreign magazines that get lost under the normal radar.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    the mexican stuff would be awesome to see done though (lots of unreleased stuff seems to get reviewed/pictured in foreign magazines that get lost under the normal radar.)
    Sadly, I don't have a lot of Mexican stuff anymore. I sold a lot of 'em a few years back and I only kept a few issues. And I'm not sure when, but Club Nintendo turned into a badly-translated version of Nintendo Power a few years back. But back in my day? It was awesome.

Do you know someone who'd take my magazines?
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retromags

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a few different preservation efforts out there right now. Retromags has been around a while, but I don't go there enough to know the overall quality of their scans. Out-of-Print Archive is another good one, but if I remember correctly they work at a much slower pace than RM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Sadly, I don't have a lot of Mexican stuff anymore. I sold a lot of 'em a few years back and I only kept a few issues. And I'm not sure when, but Club Nintendo turned into a badly-translated version of Nintendo Power a few years back. But back in my day? It was awesome.

Do you know someone who'd take my magazines?
    theredeye was always interested in magazines to keep in his database of stuff, dunno if he's still doing that.

as a collector i'd like to check them out myself personaly, I have a scanner but not the time to meticulously scan every page.
    what eras were they from exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    There's a few different preservation efforts out there right now. Retromags has been around a while, but I don't go there enough to know the overall quality of their scans. Out-of-Print Archive is another good one, but if I remember correctly they work at a much slower pace than RM.
    I checked Out Of Print and they only had Sega-related UK magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    theredeye was always interested in magazines to keep in his database of stuff, dunno if he's still doing that.

as a collector i'd like to check them out myself personaly, I have a scanner but not the time to meticulously scan every page.
    what eras were they from exactly?
    Didn't he say he already had a full set? Besides, I want these other mags scanned so more people can enjoy the crappy writing. And I'm probably going to send the Incite discs to the Textfiles guy.

If you meant the Nintendo Power stuff, it's mostly N64-early GC era. I haven't checked them out yet. If you want them, you can have them as long as you pay the shipping... which might be expensive because my postmaster is an asshole and won't let me use media mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If you pack the box in the post office you are literally mailing the definition of media mail.

So yeah.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    If you pack the box in the post office you are literally mailing the definition of media mail.

So yeah.
    They wouldn't let me send some Garfield comic books as media mail. As I said, postmaster = asshole.

I got tired of arguing the point with him years ago. He. Doesn't. Give. A. Fuck. Nobody can use Media Mail, PERIOD. Every postal worker has instructions to open any package sent as media mail on the spot and inspect it, and if it's something the postmaster doesn't like (which is pretty much anything with ads), it can't be shipped that way.

You know he's wrong, I know he's wrong, but he won't budge, and if someone complains he'll likely know it was me because I bugged him about it for over a year.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 04-23-2011 at 10:13 PM.