Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by cheaterdragon1 View Post
    For some reason SNES what?

Sorry, my cell phone is doing very strange things. Damn swype!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    So what's the lesson in all this? The lesson is: When you have zombie gamer morons who'll believe any made up story, you're gonna get stupid results like the ones we're seeing. Please oh please can you people stop overpaying for a games that's not worth more than $40! That way those of us who are not gullible pricks might actually have a chance of playing this game on a SNES.
    what is this I don't even

If the game is only worth $40, then no one will be able to sell it for $120.

If people are willing to pay $120 for it, it is worth $120.

And if you just want to play the darn thing, just get over it and emulate it already. It really doesn't do anything with the SNES hardware that makes an actually SNES essential to the experience.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    what is this I don't even

If the game is only worth $40, then no one will be able to sell it for $120.

If people are willing to pay $120 for it, it is worth $120.

And if you just want to play the darn thing, just get over it and emulate it already. It really doesn't do anything with the SNES hardware that makes an actually SNES essential to the experience.
    There's a sucker born every minute....and apparently...there's too many of them....because they're jacking up the price on Earthbound. Is it worth $120? No. Am I going to pay that outrageous price because other numbnuts have inflated the price? Again, hell no. I'm just going to continue waiting....again and again...until I get a decent copy that doesn't have marker sticker crap all over it....and at a decent price.

And no I will not play this game on an emulator. I want to play it the same way I've played every other damn SNES game I own, which is on the actual system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a sucker born every minute....and apparently...there's too many of them....because they're jacking up the price on Earthbound. Is it worth $120? No. Am I going to pay that outrageous price because other numbnuts have inflated the price? Again, hell no. I'm just going to continue waiting....again and again...until I get a decent copy that doesn't have marker sticker crap all over it....and at a decent price.

And no I will not play this game on an emulator. I want to play it the same way I've played every other damn SNES game I own, which is on the actual system.
    Good man. I admire a person who sticks to his/her guns.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah! Hell damn fart!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Earthbound = serious business.

I found a beautifully mint and complete copy from my local used game store in 2005. Paid $24.99 + tax. Never played it, never intend to, couldn't care less actually. You say it's going for $400+ on ebay? Jesus. Maybe it's time to sell.
    If you bought an opened game with no intention of ever playing it......I just ......I don't even know what to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Is it worth $120? No..
    Well, the market currently says yes. What do we do now?
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay
    Is it worth $120? No..
    Well, the market currently says yes. What do we do now?
    Lynch Adam Smith? 'Invisible hand' my ass, right MyTurn?
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not worth $120 to you. Those people who spend $100+ on this game are fools apparently. Really though, a game is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game is worth whatever the masses of people pay for it. EB selling for $120 avg? It's worth $120.

Try telling that to anyone who's selling the game. I can see it going well. "You know, Earthbound sells for about $120 EASY but it's not worth that at all!! I'll pay you $40."

The price of earthbound has only gone up in the past years and with it's release on VC pretty much a pipe dream by now I don't see it ever going for under $100.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 04-24-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Lynch Adam Smith? 'Invisible hand' my ass, right MyTurn?
    I say we stock-up on some socio-economic ribbons. They are the pure, existential representation of currency-conversion during hypothetical inflation. In other words, we find some hobos and barter with science! Sound good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    I say we stock-up on some socio-economic ribbons. They are the pure, existential representation of currency-conversion during hypothetical inflation. In other words, we find some hobos and barter with science! Sound good?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The market is f-ed up. Come on fellas, didn't we all learn something from the recent stock market debacle???. Or are you guys also part of the lemming Earthbound crowd? The game is not worth more than $40 PERIOD. I don't care what anyone says. Some of you need to wake up and realize this. Ugh, these Earthbound fanboys are a joke.

Look at this piece of crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a pile of garbage but it's selling for $50 currently. Does that make any sense??? No, it doesn't...not to any sane gamer. Only retards would pay that amount.

I just gotta catch these idiots on an off day or something so I can finally play this game without feeling like I just got ripped off by an Iraqi selling me sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

The game is not worth more than $40 PERIOD.
    One question: why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The market is f-ed up. Come on fellas, didn't we all learn something from the recent stock market debacle???. Or are you guys also part of the lemming Earthbound crowd? The game is not worth more than $40 PERIOD. I don't care what anyone says. Some of you need to wake up and realize this. Ugh, these Earthbound fanboys are a joke.

Look at this piece of crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a pile of garbage but it's selling for $50 currently. Does that make any sense??? No, it doesn't...not to any sane gamer. Only retards would pay that amount.

I just gotta catch these idiots on an off day or something so I can finally play this game without feeling like I just got ripped off by an Iraqi selling me sand.
    Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Economics 101: Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and a seller who wishes to maximize his profits will sell at the highest price the current market will bear. Stupid or not, if Earthbound sells for $120 then it is worth $120. You can either pony up the dough or do without it. Or better yet, instead of getting all worked up over something so trivial, you could patiently wait for a cheap copy to buy and then sell for a massive profit.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Well, there is such a thing as price fixing. And if enough people post at rediculous prices for long enough, potential buyers will start asuming it's worth that much and jump all over it afriad that it will just keep increasing. If it's timed appropriately with a surge in the games popularity, then you could get such an unjustified swell in the games price. The game should not be that much, but enough people are speculating that it will keep climbing in price and thus there is currently no forseeable return to normalcy. If the idiots will stop purchasing the game for a respectable amount of time to sour the market the game will eventually fall back to earth, but with the ever increasing legion of so-called collectors entering the fray it's impossible to tell whether or not sanity will return.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This scenario just proves my theory that Smash Bros. ruins everything. If Ness wasn't in Smash Bros., I guarantee the price would be much lower. I agree that the majority of the crazy Smash Bros. fanboys are lemming children that only care about a franchise just because its characters appear in Smash Bros. In some ways, I suppose it's beneficial because who knows if we would've ever gotten Fire Emblem in the US or a new Kid Icarus. However, it's also frustrating how it artificially inflates the prices of older games when mindless droves suddenly take interest. Similar phenomenons have happened like with Final Fantasy VII when Advent Children came out or Silent Hill when its movie came out.

But I have to agree with the others that it's worth whatever it's currently going for, and you just can't argue with that. If I had a copy of Earthbound to sell and it was regularly going for $100+, damn right I would try to get that much out of it, no matter how much other people may whine that it's too expensive. It's all determined by the bidders in the end, and if you ride it out, maybe it will go down somewhat in time. I sure hope so because I'd like a copy myself. I'm kicking myself for not spending the 20 or 25 bucks that GameStop was charging for a loose cart around 8,9 years ago. I thought that was too expensive, so I opted for a couple cheaper SNES RPG/adventure games instead, Arcana and Illusion of Gaia I think. :/ Good games themselves, but man, I'd rather have Earthbound right about now.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kyle, you go bro!

Until I see someone kidnapping family members, holding guns to heads or threatening physical injury and pain to 'sell' Earthbound, it's safe to say artificial price escalation is out of the question. If you think it's too expensive, everyone that already owns one or buys one at the 'too high' price disagrees and backs it up with cash or holding. They win.

Want to get real? Price it in silver instead of USD.
    1996 (Earthbound's first full calendar year at retail) 1oz of silver was ~$5. So the cost of Earthbound was basically 10ozs of silver - Possibly more since I think it was more than $50 retail (where I lived, all RPGs seemed to come out at $100 back then, but that didn't happen everywhere). 10ozs of silver now is $466.80... Hmm, interesting. It's tracking nearly right on. Priced in silver, Earthbound can be said to be holding it's retail value and not really increasing that much.

In terms of price, 'normal' is bias. There is no normal. Trade is a complex dynamic system. Too complex to establish price norms that will be an effectual standard for an amount of time to make the work in determining the normal to actually pay off. As soon as you figure out what happened, more is already happening. That's why we have price. It's the barometer of trade. Price is the normal (as normal as it gets), it changes with the individual actions of traders regardless if the reasons why are identified and known or not. So, a concept like a "normal price" is double talk. It can be said to mean, the enforceable price. What should be said is "My offered price". But, what they don't want to hear is, "Sorry, no sale."

Exercises: Normal Price
    What do you think is the normal price of these objects?
    Tiger bone?
    Rhodium pellets?
    A bit of copper?
    A bad haircut?
    A stunning Tricorne Hat with a single long Peacock feather?
    Earthbound?

Now, how did you determine normal?
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-24-2011 at 03:44 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Neither Earthbound NOR Chrono Trigger are all that great. I'll take FF3, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire 2 or (on the import side of things) DQ 5 & 6 over either one. Earthbound is too goofy and CT tries too hard to be "original" and just mucks everything up in the process (a short RPG with a bunch of endgame sidequests to pad it out; a "no random battles" system that has unavoidable battles every few paces and they're always the SAME battles in the SAME spots, etc etc). Overrated and overpriced, imo.
    I completely agree, yet everyone always makes mention of the "non random battles" that Chrono Trigger has. They don't bother to pay attention to the 60-70% unavoidable battles that you get by touching a ladder you're required to go to, or go in a different room, etc. Chrono Trigger isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be, but it is a good game that's worth owning.

And Earthbound. The only difference between Earthbound and a Dragon Warrior game is the graphics. The exact same game with different scenery. Is it good? Yes. Is it $300(complete) good? Hell no. I do want it and would pay less than $150 for it in good and complete condition, but it's no where near worth that amount when based on rarity, how good it is, etc. I was trying to get a copy when they were running at $250 complete and I missed one that you could bid on that sold at $118. I was going to snipe it at the end, forgot about it and when I remembered it I was about 10 minutes too late.

Also, like the original poster stated, the game really isn't rare. While right now it's exactly one page at default, last year I've seen it at six pages, loose, complete, booklet only, some Super Famicom versions, so you could probably say it was four pages after all is said and done(estimation.) That's still 100 copies of the game listed at the same time. Rare? No.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-24-2011 at 03:44 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.