Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3DS Selling Below Expectations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Here's a little view into gaming's future:

When I'm home and I want to play a game...I fire up one of my consoles.

When I'm not at home, in bed, during commercials in an NFL game, etc...I play a game/browse the internet/mess around with apps/send e-mails/take pictures/movies/or do a million other things on my smartphone.

Handhelds have essentially become obsolete in my life. I suspect more and more people are slowly gravitating over to this way of thinking. I still (foolishly) buy games for my DS and PSP. There's a true desire to play them, but the reality is...I rarely do.

That's ultimately why I didn't buy a 3DS. I probably will eventually (is OOT nostalgia worth $300? Yes, it is.), but the game library will have to be exponentially bigger and better from what it is now.
    I dont understand people whod rather play games on their phones than a handheld. I also have a smartphone and cant stand playing games on it. I play deep intricate games, not twitch minigames so maybe thats it. And the lack of buttons doesnt help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    I dont understand people whod rather play games on their phones than a handheld. I also have a smartphone and cant stand playing games on it. I play deep intricate games, not twitch minigames so maybe thats it. And the lack of buttons doesnt help.
    It's a convenience and economy factor. Most people don't want to carry two devices around with them or purchase a device that does what their existing one can already do.

I'm not ever going to shift away from handheld gaming since I'm in it for the games themselves and not out of a desire for a portable way to play games. But for the person that just wants to be able to play something for 5-10 minutes here and there on the go, it's not exactly difficult to see the appeal of a phone that can also handle that task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I think that the market has changed for handhelds. The drive for me to purchase a full priced handheld game at $40 has greatly diminished since 2006. Sure the 3DS is eventually going to have some great games, but the whether you like it or not, smartphones will be starting to take a bite out of the handheld market. I think in the long run that this will be a good thing. Prices will have to be competitive for sales to be high. Like some other have said, I play less games on my handhelds than I have in the past. Sure the smartphone games are not always better, but the truth is there are many games on them that are exclusive and CHEAP.

The 3DS will not be as popular as the DS. It is too steep of a price for its fan base. A cheaper system and games will see it do well. I dont see that happening anytime soon. The system will sell fine in the long run, but Nintendo needs to realize that the price point is all wrong with this system. I probably would jump on one with a $50 price reduction.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    In other words, just what I said.
    No, you made it seem as if people are going to have a completely new experience playing this port. While it's built on a new graphics engine and there are several specific quests that have been slightly altered, it is basically the same game most of us already own and have played. Not exactly worth spending $250 on a new system for, especially at a $40 price point. In addition, there has already been a remake/re-release on the Gamecube which had enhanced graphics and a second version of the main game with new quests and revised dungeons.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 04-30-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    Is that a good thing, though? Zelda is just another Ocarina of Time port.
    We've never had an Ocarina of Time remake. This isn't a port, it's being rebuilt from the ground up and modernized to take advantage of the hardware, advancements in technology since 1998, and to address complaints with the original.

It's hardly just them creating an emulator running the original code, which is what we got on the GameCube and Wii. So for anyone that loves Ocarina of Time, they'd serve themselves well to do some investigating to see just what we're getting instead of just writing it off as yet another rerelease of the same thing.
    In all fairness though, the game isn't getting a complete overhaul. The graphics have been enhanced and there are some minor tweaks to certain portions of the game to address difficulty imbalances, but basically, it is just a remake of a game that really isn't all that old.
    In other words, just what I said.
    No, you made it seem as if people are going to have a completely new experience playing this port. While it's built on a new graphics engine and there are several specific quests that have been slightly altered, it is basically the same game most of us already own and have played. Not exactly worth spending $250 on a new system for, especially at a $40 price point. In addition, there has already been a remake/re-release on the Gamecube which had enhanced graphics and a second version of the main game with new quests and revised dungeons.
    No, I said it was a remake and was substantially more than just a port of the original code or the original code running through an emulator, which people were dismissing it as. Nothing more, nothing less.

All you did was restate my comments calling it a remake and such while saying what I said was somehow incorrect.

Last edited by Leo_A; 04-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, I said it was a remake and was substantially more than just a port of the original code or the original code running through an emulator, which people were dismissing it as. Nothing more, nothing less.

All you did was restate my comments calling it a remake and such while saying what I said was somehow incorrect.

You're the only one who said anything about an emulator. The rest of us understand that it's just a remake with a newer graphics engine and a few tweaks aka an enhanced port. That's exactly what the Gamecube version was. In fact, the second adventure from the Gamecube version is included in this remake. A port doesn't have to use the original code. In fact, in the classic days, often home version ports were created without using any actual original arcade code. Given that knowledge, I don't think we are wrong to dismiss it. I'm not saying it won't sell, but I am saying that for people who have been around the whole Nintendo rehash and re-release cycle for a while, it's just not that interesting.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 04-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, whatever, but that can't be the N64 one in those pictures... The textures are clean and overall it looks much better.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's just a remake with a newer graphics engine and a few tweaks aka an enhanced port. That's exactly what the Gamecube version was.
    If I remember correctly, the only visual enhancement to the GameCube OoT port on that collector's edition disc was 480p output (when using component cables). Otherwise, it was identical to the N64 version...textures, frame rate, and all...absolutely nowhere near the 3DS upgraded version.

The 3DS version is like the upgraded Resident Evil remake and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes remake on the GameCube...totally rebuilt from the ground up, featuring vastly improved graphics (though I still think OoT on the N64 is beautiful and a masterpiece).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    vince026

I think i also read somewhere that they are gonna make the water temple easier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Rumor has it Nintendo isn't going to be making a ton of copies. I don't think anyone is saying this will OMFG RARE, but I'll bet it'll be more than $39.99 on the secondary market a year from now.

Also...man, those N64 graphics were terrible. It's always interesting to look at them with modern eyes. Even so, I remember being amazed at how you could be traveling in Hyrule field, see something interesting far in the distance...then actually travel there. Groundbreaking for 1998.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the only visual enhancement to the GameCube OoT port on that collector's edition disc was 480p output (when using component cables). Otherwise, it was identical to the N64 version...textures, frame rate, and all...absolutely nowhere near the 3DS upgraded version.
    The Gamecube version uses the same models and textures, but they are filtered a lot better. Smoother, sharper, no blur. Just like playing it on an emulator (well, it IS an emulator). Also I'm pretty sure the whole game is actually upscaled to 640x480, as the N64 version ran at 320x240 IIRC. The framerate might be better; I don't remember what it was like on N64.

That's not to say it's comparable to the 3DS version or anything, but it's significant IMO.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Super Mario All Stars was supposedly limited as well. After the first two low print runs, they went all out. Nintendo is fully aware that everyone loves OoT. They're going to make it seem like there's a shortage early on to scare people into buying them up when they finally release enough copies.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo won't make oot scarce. They aren't pushing the 3DS systems that they need to. This will push 3DS systems in droves.

They won't flood the market like they did with the last Zelda DS title, but it'll be easy to get oot.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    I prefer handhelds. I can tell that most people see gaming on a phone "more grown up and mature" than playing games on DS or PSP. Cause apparently video games are for kids lol :-)

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a huge deterrent to hardcore Nintendo fans (retro or not) when you're being forced onto >90% shovelware for a system's launch. I'm sure Pilot Wings resort is a helluvalot of fun the first few times, but like Wii Sports, it's a fad soon forgotten by your TV (3DS) screen. I personally have no interest in gimmicky gameplay. I want at least a d-pad or an analog stick to my left and 2-6 buttons on the right (and shoulder buttons where necessary).

Personally, for the 3DS, I believe it's less the lack of a killer app, and more about Nintendo's insistence on shoving (pun intended) "re-mastered" old titles down your throat from the start and banking on the novelty of 3D without glasses at the 99th percentile. Since the Wii, I've started to see a little bit of Apple in Nintendo more and more. They're selling novelty as a fashion statement, caring very little or nothing at all about consumer demand.

Just think about it, any 3D based engine will work perfectly on the 3DS. The amount of work they'll have to do to "recycle" these old games is minimalistic, close to that of re-releasing a 2D title on Wii's Virtual Console. It goes to show the amount of effort that's actually going into building the handheld's library. I know we retro gamers are considered the "few", but I'm sure some of you guys will agree with me when I think: Why spend money on a brand new console/handheld to buy games I'm already enjoying (or have already enjoyed) on another system? (the idea of patches and game "versions" sure comes to mind also).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Maybe there are simply too many video game systems on the market?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not too many systems, more like too many options for basically the same thing... Nintendo is selling 4 models of portables right now. That's sort of nuts honestly.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not like they have 4 handhelds on the market that play 4 different kinds of software. They have the original DS line and the 3DS line.

Not much different than recent years for Nintendo. For example, when the DS Lite was released, they were manufacturing and selling the backlit SP, the Micro, the original DS, and the DS Lite).

But it was still just two system lines. And relatively soon, just like with the GBA, it's clearly just going to be one. Just look at their release schedule for the original DS. They're clearly focused on the 3DS with all their eggs in that basket.

Sounds like it's actually now just 3 models, if the rumors of the DS Lite being discontinued are accurare (I honestly thought they had ceased manufacturing that quite a while ago, but apparantly not).

You're the only one who said anything about an emulator. The rest of us understand that it's just a remake with a newer graphics engine and a few tweaks aka an enhanced port. That's exactly what the Gamecube version was.
    Whatever

Someone said that it was "just another Ocarina of Time port." I merely explained that it wasn't just an identical rehash and rerelease like what we've had in the past on the GameCube and Virtual Console (Which was an emulator running original code, contrary to your claim that says otherwise).

Why you're trying to be difficult with this is a mystery. I said it was a remake, not a port or an emulation of the original. Like it or not, significant work has gone into this. Anyone with a pair of eyes to read previews and impressions of it or look at screenshots and video can see that. Only someone that has paid absolutely no attention to it would think otherwise.

That you seemingly think otherwise is pretty much proof positive that you haven't paid any attention to this project.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-21-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We, as consumers, need to see more exclussives per system and less gimmicky shovelware. It's obvious that any and all games will work on any and all comparable systems. I think that there are indeed, both, too many systems and too many options for everything (especially for games, where we can just about choose the game we want to play, then choose what system we shall become loyal to).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Someone said that it was "just another Ocarina of Time port." ...
    Like it or not, significant work has gone into this.
    I shouldn't have called it "just another port", but I think my point stands that it's unfortunate that one of the biggest releases on the 3DS's horizon is a fairly close remake of a game that's seen many releases before. I do appreciate that they've put a lot of work into it and it's not identical, but it's certainly extremely close.