Thread: Mega-CD model 1 hanging on BIOS screen ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega-CD model 1 hanging on BIOS screen ?

At least I think that's where it's hanging. I got this ages ago in an ebay auction, which was meant to be "fully tested and working" though as it turned out only the Megadrive itself was tested and the CD "assumed" to be ok.

In the first few days I had it it was able to get to the normal boot up, and even played a disk... once. After that point nothing worked and I found that the fuse had blown, I've replaced that, but now the machine constantly hangs showing the following picture on screen.

The Mega-CD seems to be not be completely lacking in function, as it can tell if I have the switches set on my PAL console to NTSC, in which case it comes up with

Lots of general searching doesn't really bring up anything on this type of hang. Can anyone offer any advice on what it could be... and to wheather it's fixable, or a write off

Many Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Open it up and check the modding. Make sure that there is no damage to anything where things were soldered. Or even un-mod it for now to set it back to stock and see what happens.

As far as a know, when the Sega CD is region switched, it has to have a separate BIOS for each region installed. There might be some sort of an issue with the way everything is working together, especially since your problem is with the BIOS. Unless there is some custom flashed, menu driven regional BIOS that's installed. Not exactly sure how all that works.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Open it up and check the modding. Make sure that there is no damage to anything where things were soldered. Or even un-mod it for now to set it back to stock and see what happens.

As far as a know, when the Sega CD is region switched, it has to have a separate BIOS for each region installed. There might be some sort of an issue with the way everything is working together, especially since your problem is with the BIOS. Unless there is some custom flashed, menu driven regional BIOS that's installed. Not exactly sure how all that works.
    Its not the Mega-CD that has the mod, but the Megadrive itself. The CD is and unmodded PAL machine, but when the 60hz switch was enabled on the Megadrive, the CD though it was attached to an NTSC Mega-CD and got upset about it.