Thread: Updated PSP-2000 from 6.20 to 6.30, now having issues

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Updated PSP-2000 from 6.20 to 6.30, now having issues

I haven't used my PSP in quite awhile, probably not since I tried out the first Prinny (and I'm sure I had to update then too), but I just picked up a new copy of Knights in the Nightmare and had to update again.

However, it failed a couple times when attempting to enter the updating menus (not during the actual updating percentage itself), but when I finally got to the percentage part, it went through the whole thing fine. Then I started up Knights in the Nightmare, and every now and then the Home menu would pop up even without my thumb getting anywhere near the button. After about 10 minutes with the game, if that, it brought up the menu again and the sound cut out, and when I got back to the game, it appeared to have crashed.

I thought maybe there's something screwy with my copy of KitN, despite it being new, so I popped in an old game of mine, one that I know worked perfectly. That too brought up the Home menu occasionally.

I'm really perplexed and worried here. This is a Japanese limited edition Star Ocean PSP, so I REALLY don't want there to be anything wrong with it. I treat this thing like gold, and it still looks brand new. It's been used very little (just to play through Star Ocean: First Departure and mess around a little with some other games), and it was perfect the last time I used it (and every time before that).

Any ideas?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I may have solved my own problem here. It seems like the PSP wasn't always detecting that a game was in there, so it was causing the same effect as if you pop open the tray mid-game. Those metal prongs on the inside of the tray are complete crap and can easily get too flattened (even straight from the factory, I've heard). I tugged up on them gently a little, and so far things seem okay. I don't know if updating firmware was a piece of the problem or not, but hopefully it'll stay fine now.