Thread: So I got a Game Boy Advance for $5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So I got a Game Boy Advance for $5

Picked it up at the Goodwill today, it's the platinum one. Came with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and a Mad Catz battery pack/grip. The batteries are toast in the battery grip, so some new ones will be soldered in, or I might just toss it and run without it. Although if I did that I would need a battery cover for it.

I honestly have never had the original Game Boy Advance, only the SP and the DS to play Advance games. I really like how comfortable it is, and the shoulder buttons are NICE. Seems to put off some really good sound too, not sure if the speakers are bigger or better than the SP or what.

Anyways, my only gripe is the lack of a back lit screen!! I plan on modding it so that it's lit. Can it be back-lit or do you have to put the lights in the corner of the screens? Has anyone ever done a full on LCD swap (with a new backlit screen)?

I personally feel that other than it not having a light, I like everything about it more than the other options for playing Advance games (other than the NGC adapter). Am I not alone in thinking that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems like you are going to spend a lot of time modding this rather broken/incomplete handheld. I've been on the look-out for any Game Boy Advanced stuff without luck.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be getting a couple of these soon. They run like pestilence at Play N Trade and GS nowadays, but it's a hassle finding them in good condition. I want to use them as controllers for my Game Boy Player on my gamecube. But if I find cheap and good condition SPs I guess I'll go for those too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not exactly broken, just missing the battery cover. Which I found a new one (crystal) on eBay just a few minutes ago for 2.39 shipped. Seems worth it to me, have a total of 7 bucks into it. Might just leave it at that. As far as the broken Mad Catz battery grip, no big deal, I have a ton of rechargeable batteries, and soldering stuff, so it wouldn't cost me a penny to fix it. And I think I have a universal AC adapter that I can use to charge it, now it's just a matter of finding the tips for it.

In case anyone is looking for battery covers, eBay has a ton of them for cheaper than snot (probably chinese knock-offs but whatever).

I just really like how comfortable it feels in my hand, and the d-pad and large shoulder buttons are nice.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

GBA is the most comfortable handheld system. The GBA SP sucks in comparison just because of how uncomfortable it is. Backlit or not.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't outright swap in a screen from a GBA SP, but you can use the light from it or the original "phat" DS Model. You can't backlight a GBA as far as I've read (not sure if it's "impossible can't" or "you shouldn't can't" wherein you could do it but it would look awful).

Ninja edit: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=27338
    Last edited by wallydawg; 05-23-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Anyways, my only gripe is the lack of a back lit screen!! I plan on modding it so that it's lit. Can it be back-lit or do you have to put the lights in the corner of the screens? Has anyone ever done a full on LCD swap (with a new backlit screen)?

I personally feel that other than it not having a light, I like everything about it more than the other options for playing Advance games (other than the NGC adapter). Am I not alone in thinking that?
    You can mod it using an Afterburner kit to give it some backlighting, only they've been discontinued years ago and are expensive/near impossible to find now.

Besides the screen I do like it more than the SP, I won't have to worry about the batteries not holding a charge as I can just easily replace the AAs with new ones and I can play games like Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble which use motion controls. With an SP the game is upside down and almost impossible to play as the controls are backwards.

Doing some digging I found a store that still carries the Afterburner kit, of course it's expensive(pretty much more than a used SP costs). Maybe you'll be able to find another source if you keep looking.
    http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/...it-p-1110.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, the Game Gear is by far the most ergonomic handheld ever made, albeit too big for your non-MC Hammer pants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Game Gear is pretty comfortable actually, and it's back lit. But the problem with it is even though it's backlit the screen is ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might not worry about back lighting it. I can just keep it by the shitter. There is a lot of light in there so it will be fine. I'll just use it for shit duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend still has a new afterburner kit in his store for $20. Maybe I should grab it next time I visit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modding a GameGear for RGB out (and perhaps a controller imput), now that would be worth your while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh, the Gamegear is too unweildy and big. Though I do have pretty small hands.

The NGPC is where it's at for comfort! Nintendo wise, I've never had any complaints. I feel the 3DS could be improved.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!