Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Superior versions of games for the same system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Superior versions of games for the same system

I was browsing my Gameboy games and realized that I have A copy of Zelda: Links Awakening and A copy of Zelda: Links Awakening DX.

Other than "collection purposes" is there any point in keeping the original Gameboy version? The DX version is better in every way correct? It can play on A standard GB just like the original and if you play it on a Gameboy Color then you net all of the DX additions.

Also instead of starting an identical thread in Modern Gaming I have the same situation with Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES. Is there any reason in keeping Persona 3 for more than "collection purposes"?

Also for the sake of curiosity... Are there any other games for classic (or modern) consoles that would also fit the bill. Zelda: Links Awakening DX and Persona 3 FES are the only two games that I can think of that could potentially render the original version pointless.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can think of a couple, and I am sure there are MANY more examples. Final Fight and Final Fight Guy for the SNES. Same game, except Guy has all three characters in the arcade version, while the first Final Fight only has Haggar and Cody. No reason to own the first if you have the second.

Then there is the Street Fighter II fiasco. SFII, SFII Turbo, Super SFII, etc etc.

I personally like all the different version in their own unique ways, even though they are relatively the same game. I prefer SFII Turbo over the rest however.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Should somebody mention Tetris vs Tengen Tetris?

Insert Coin (Level 0) profholt82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    profholt82

Resident Evil or Resident Evil Director's Cut
    Metal Gear Solid 2 or MGS Substance
    MGS 3 or MGS Subsistence
    Super Mario Bros. or SMB/Duck Hunt or SMB/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet
    Batman Arkham Asylum or Special Edition
    Street Fighter IV or Special Edition

I guess that's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Fable vs Lost Chapters?

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The best thing about a re-release is that it makes the old version very cheap and easy to find. So, that's an argument for buying the older version.

I can't think of any games right now, but there has to be hundreds.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I can think of a couple, and I am sure there are MANY more examples. Final Fight and Final Fight Guy for the SNES. Same game, except Guy has all three characters in the arcade version, while the first Final Fight only has Haggar and Cody. No reason to own the first if you have the second.
    ... Um, Final Fight Guy only has Guy and Haggar. It's the same game as the original Final Fight SNES port except for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Divinity II: Ego Draconis < Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (XBOX360)
    Ninja Gaiden < Ninja Gaiden Black (XBOX)
    OutRun2006 < OutRun2006: Coast 2 Coast (XBOX)
    Resident Evil 5 < Resident Evil 5 Gold
    Silent Hill 2 < Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits Version (PS2) The GH release has the 'Restless Dreams' Scenario that the XBOX version had.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an interesting example: Battletoads for Game Boy vs. Battletoads in Ragnarok's World for Game Boy. The original got the treatment that many GB versions of NES games got: slower gameplay, bigger sprites, and reduced level complexity. Ragnarok's World came out later, when developers were more experienced with GB hardware. It was a true GB conversion of the NES game.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Battle Arena Toshinden 2 < Battle Arena Toshinden 2 Plus (PS1) I think some things were tweaked, plus you could save the unlockable bosses.
    Virtua Fighter 4 < Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (PS2) The Greatest Hits version added characters and stuff.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was Resident Evil Director's Cut any better than the original release of Resident Evil on the Playstation? I never really played either and have no idea if adding Dualshock control made the game better.

I do know that Nintendo rereleased some launch N64 games in Japan with added Rumble Pack support. Whether this made the game superior to the original versions are questionable. The only games I know off the top of my head that got this treatment were Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64.
    I have a sig?

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a reason to keep both because games that are directors cuts are the directors version of the game while the original or first release of the game is what they wanted you to see. So by keeping both you can see what they wanted you to play and what the director wanted you to play. Example sonic dx which is what the director wanted you to see of the original game.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    I do know that Nintendo rereleased some launch N64 games in Japan with added Rumble Pack support. Whether this made the game superior to the original versions are questionable. The only games I know off the top of my head that got this treatment were Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64.
    I'm pretty certain that those are the only two.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I was browsing my Gameboy games and realized that I have A copy of Zelda: Links Awakening and A copy of Zelda: Links Awakening DX.

Other than "collection purposes" is there any point in keeping the original Gameboy version? The DX version is better in every way correct? It can play on A standard GB just like the original and if you play it on a Gameboy Color then you net all of the DX additions.

Also instead of starting an identical thread in Modern Gaming I have the same situation with Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES. Is there any reason in keeping Persona 3 for more than "collection purposes"?

Also for the sake of curiosity... Are there any other games for classic (or modern) consoles that would also fit the bill. Zelda: Links Awakening DX and Persona 3 FES are the only two games that I can think of that could potentially render the original version pointless.
    To me it's still worth keeping the original Link's Awakening just because of the select button trick that allows you to appear on the opposite side of the next screen when you enter. They took that out of the GBC version. Going through all those weird scrambled places and finding certain heart pieces and secret shells early was cool.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Was Resident Evil Director's Cut any better than the original release of Resident Evil on the Playstation? I never really played either and have no idea if adding Dualshock control made the game better.

the directors cut if i remember correctly had a new musical score if i remember correctly, and i also think (but not sure) that it included all the extra modes and costumes from the saturn version as well as the added dual shock controls

i know that they intended to include the original cut opening video from the japanese release but ended up forgetting to or something
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I believe that the original version didn't have the Quick Turn feature. I could be wrong though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Silent Hill 2 < Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits Version (PS2) The GH release has the 'Restless Dreams' Scenario that the XBOX version had.
    Wow! I didn't know that. o.o

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Oh yeah, Marvel Ultimate Alliance Special Edition for Xbox 360 has extra characters like Hulk and Venom not in the original versions. And what's funny is that the Xbox 360 version already has more characters than the PS2 version, such as Colossus. So it's like this special edition has extra on top of extra.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could lump a lot of sports games into the category of redundant versions.
    I don't think there's any point in owning the older Castlevania game for N64.
    There were also those DualShock edition Resident Evil games for PS1.
    Virtua Fighter Remix makes Virtua Fighter redundant. I know it has very different looking character graphics because of the texture mapping, but VF was just such a mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Wow! I didn't know that. o.o
    Yeah for the US PS2, that info was given just a new back of the box mention. Same title and front cover art as its original release. No "Restless Dreams" added to the name like we got on Xbox.
    Lum fan.