Thread: is the Sega Genesis version of "The Immortal" worth it?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default is the Sega Genesis version of "The Immortal" worth it?

A local store has a boxed copy of The Immortal for the Sega Genesis. Now, I had heard that the NES version was censored and had some levels removed. Is the Genesis version a complete port, or does it have changes and shortcomings I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a straight port, there are a few noticeable differences. The level layouts are often different, and the music is usually different. The Genesis version tones the music down and in some cases omits it entirely. The Genesis version also looks a little better of course and features the awesome death animations the game is known for.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    A local store has a boxed copy of The Immortal for the Sega Genesis. Now, I had heard that the NES version was censored and had some levels removed. Is the Genesis version a complete port, or does it have changes and shortcomings I should know about?

Thanks in advance.
    That's a good question. I'm not sure about the answer, but I'm curious, how much are they asking for the game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's worth picking up, but as Emperor Megas mentioned, it depends how much they want for the game.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I believe they said its ten bucks.

So then, what's the most "complete" version of the game?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Apple IIgs/Amiga/ST/PC computer versions. Both console versions are watered down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This reminds me, The Immortal (NES) is one of those games I rented back in the day that I got completely stuck on. I always intended to play it again, using my 'adult-intellect' to see if I can beat it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$10 isn't a bad deal, the Genesis version is the best console version of the game. Also if you decide to sell the game after you're done you shouldn't have too much trouble getting $10 for it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    This reminds me, The Immortal (NES) is one of those games I rented back in the day that I got completely stuck on. I always intended to play it again, using my 'adult-intellect' to see if I can beat it.
    I've actually gotten worse at the game as I've aged. I can no longer do the octopus level towards the end.

To op: if you don't have access to any of computer versions, the Genesis port is pretty competent. My friends and I all LOVED this game when it was released.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is the Genesis one watered down? I watched videos and I noticed the Amiga one lacks the close up battle scenes. The PC port has them, but I'm wondering about the sound for that version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    How is the Genesis one watered down? I watched videos and I noticed the Amiga one lacks the close up battle scenes. The PC port has them, but I'm wondering about the sound for that version.
    It's been a long time but I remember the pc version having worse sound than the genesis version, and I don't think it had the death animations. But, like I said, its been a long time, I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I played the DOS version back in the day. It definitely had the varied and entertaining death animations. The quality of the sound probably depended a lot upon what sort of sound card you had at the time, and of what quality the MIDI chip was. I've seen youtube vids of the Genesis version, and thought their music sounded weird compared to the PC version...but maybe that's just preference.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone have any tips on how to handle the hand to hand combat in this game, I'm stumped. I checked the FAQ too, so are you supposed just mash buttons and hope for the best?

Graphics are pretty neat though, I'm playing the Megadrive version.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

As other posters have noted, combat in The Immortal can vary from version to version - some of them don't, for instance, have the "close-up" hand-to-hand combat of the others, and leave you in the isometric "zoomed-out" view. I am not sure which method the Megadrive version uses. The first thing to note is that it's possible to avoid combat sometimes by using fireballs, running away, or other methods (IIRC, there are multiple scenarios where you can avoid enemies through disguise or killing them...indirectly).

You will have to defeat a few guys, though, with hand to hand, if I'm not mistaken. You have opportunities to rest periodically, so you really only have to avoid enough blows to be able to recover the health later on when you sleep (I don't recall exactly how many bars you recover through sleeping).

The following advice applies largely to those versions where the combat is close-up. Back in the DOS days, I recall the combat happening slowly enough that you had a pretty good lead time on dodging the blows. As you progressed through the game, this amount of "lead time" gets less and less. When I say "lead time," I mean that the enemy brings his arm backwards like a baseball batter readying himself for a swing - the enemy hangs there for a second or two before carrying through with the swing.

You can dodge left or right, depending on which way the guy is swinging - dodge to your right if his swing is being prepared on your left, and vice versa. Sometimes the guy does a double-swing, which means you need to double-dodge - but that's about the trickiest aspect. You can swing left, swing right, or forward-stab in the interim; sometimes these stabs can interrupt the other guy's swing and "stun" them momentarily (the amount of time they're stunned also gets less and less as the difficulty level increases, IIRC), if you can make it happen quickly enough. The earliest guys should be easy enough to take down by just swinging left-right-left in rapid succession.

If the game is running too fast for you to be able to dodge, you may want to slow the emulator (DOSBox, Genesis or NES emulator, whatever) down to a speed that makes it more manageable and gives you more lead time for the opponents' swings.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by calthaer; 06-03-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No my version def has the close up view(cool fatalities), from what I've taken from your post I have to try dodge left and right to avoid hits. Here's hoping I fare better than yersterday, thanks for the help calthaer.
    Go, go Ackman!