Thread: 360 freezing, NO RROD!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Default 360 freezing, NO RROD!!!

I have a problem with an older Xbox 360. It's one from the very first chipset version purchased in 2007.

It's started to freeze up unexpectedly. It may run 5 minutes or a half-hour, then the screen image freezes with what looks like static running thru the picture. I get no RROD though. It just freezes in the middle of a game.

The unit can be immediately shut off with no having to unplug it and when I turn it back on, it boots up with all the 360 loading images and starts the disc right up. But, then it'll just freeze up again without warning. Anyone got any ideas what the trouble is?

Finally, is it worth it to send it in for repairs (3 year window is up) when I've already got a new one and might want to have this as a back up?
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post

Finally, is it worth it to send it in for repairs (3 year window is up) when I've already got a new one and might want to have this as a back up?
    At least in my opinion, it's not worth a repair. Microsoft will probably charge you more than what it's worth. Also, since the Wii reduced in price, there MIGHT be a chance that Microsoft may lower the price of the console. so I would wait until then.

Your issue may be overheating, though I'm not quite sure.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a precursor to the RROD. Mine did that for a while and finally started to red ring. Repair is probably not worth it as my repaired one eventually failed too. I have also tried those fix it yourself kits with no luck either. Just this week I finally broke down and got a slim. Wow, very well designed and super quiet. Maybe its time to take your current xbox to gamestop and trade it before the RROD sets in. I think they have a $25 bonus trade this week.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

It might seem obvious but check to see if you have enough breathing room for the system. These things get hot and all my freezups have been when the fan is running at 100%.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

This one may seem a bit obvious to the point of stupid, but have you cracked it open and checked the CPU/GPU heatsinks for dust?

This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. We cracked open his 360 on the spot and found the heatsinks caked with enough dust that there wasn't enough air moving through it for a newborn to live off of. Quick spray of "canned air" and the 360 went on to live for another two years until his younger brother decided the DVD-ROM needed a peanut butter sandwich.

Couldn't hurt to replace the thermal paste on the heatsinks either but be careful as if you haven't done this sort of thing before it is VERY easy to knock some components off the board or gouge it with a screw driver. I can't stress that enough.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it will rrod pretty soon,90% of rrod are caused by the gpu.
    Just do the x-clamp fix.