Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: E3 2011 - General Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    Meh, 5 seconds of Zelda HD cannot distract me from the 31 flavors of awesome that are the Skyward Sword trailer. I have never been so excited for a Zelda game.

Less good things:

-Icarus not until the holidays? Why? Looks great though.
    -Zelda OoT, Starfox 64, and Snake Eater don't really interest me. Meh to remakes.
    -WHERE THE HELL IS PIKMIN 3? DID I MISS SOMETHING?
    -I want a Waverace 3DS

-
    Ah SS did look good! Day 1 purchase! Didn't care for Zelda's design however.

Pikmin 3 has been confirmed to be in development for the WiiU at the private conference we plebians aren't privy too. I'd love it they could make the whole game in that clay style we often see Pikmin in.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post

Pikmin 3 has been confirmed to be in development for the WiiU at the private conference we plebians aren't privy too. I'd love it they could make the whole game in that clay style we often see Pikmin in.
    ^^
    Phew....glad to hear about Pikmin 3. I was going to have to choke a b*tch.

I want to see more new original titles, but I can't argue with what they're doing with the existing franchises.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad it doesn't look like a router/sat box, but that name...

I'd like to formally request Nintendo rethink the name. It's freakishly bad.
    How about Wiindo? (Wii + [Ninte]ndo) OMG MS lawsuits!!!

Branding and marketing need to be slapped, hard. Again for 3DS, thrice for it's marketing failure.

Can't wait, in six years people will be talking about the WiiU2! Anything to piss off Bono.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-08-2011 at 08:27 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I shudder to think about the size of the Wii U controller once Nintendo reveals the inevitable impact-resistant silicone skin that they'll be packing with it/shipping a few months after it is released because somebody flung the thing through a wall/their pet/their friend/sibling/parent/significant other.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A ho hum E3 nothing really excites me with the exception of the next Zelda
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I shudder to think about the size of the Wii U controller once Nintendo reveals the inevitable impact-resistant silicone skin that they'll be packing with it/shipping a few months after it is released because somebody flung the thing through a wall/their pet/their friend/sibling/parent/significant other.
    Somebody get's whacked with that beast and they're going to know it!

Second Nintendo console I have zero interest in. I can forsee the Wii's getting sold off for $30 at GS now, just like the cube a few years ago. I may pick one up then.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Somebody get's whacked with that beast and they're going to know it!

Second Nintendo console I have zero interest in. I can forsee the Wii's getting sold off for $30 at GS now, just like the cube a few years ago. I may pick one up then.
    The last time I checked, the trade-in value at GS on a regular Wii with all it's hook-ups was $15 in store credit. You got a whopping $20 store credit for the system if you had one that came packaged with the Wii Motion Plus controller.

I haven't been closely following the E3 coverage in too much detail other than what's been posted on here and a few other forums. The controller for the Wii U looks neat. The only thing so far from the show that had my interest perked was the Vita (not a fan of the name even if it is Latin, for some reason the old Lucille Ball tonic skit springs to mind when I see the name Vita ). The pics of the Vanillaware games look good. I saw Vita footage of SF X Tekken and apparently Cole from Infamous is a playable character? Bleh.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My impressions:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a regular controller with a touch screen. It's not going to need a nerf condom and it's not going to be slung around at the end of one arm like a trailer park baby.

Mad or happy, as long as you buy one it'll make Nintendo's penis harder.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, I just spent the last three hours down at the LA Convention Center and after having seen and held the WiiU controller, I still have very serious doubts. First, while it may be about the same size as the PSP horizontally, it is definitely about twice as tall. It's also fairly thick, like launch PSP thick in places. I do have to say that it is lighter than I assumed it would be, but it ran much hotter. I'm assuming this will be addressed in future refinements before launch. Honestly, more than anything else, it reminds me of a UDraw tablet as it's just slightly smaller and it does some of the same things. The most telling image from the Nintendo booth was a small mock-up living room they had in one corner that had a small coffee table with the WiiU controller in the middle and a Wiimote on each side. It really does look like one of those nice universal remotes that people with high end home theaters tend to buy. In short spurts, I can imagine the kids playing with it. I can also imagine younger kids throwing it at each other or the TV or on the floor. While it was fairly light and seemed durable, I can imagine it getting banged up pretty quickly.

Other than that, Rayman Origins was odd. They were demoing it on 40" HD monitors and the Rayman character was really tiny. Like maybe an inch tall even when only one player was playing. Not sure if there is a way around it, but it really took me out of the action.

Sony used the same exact booth as last year with new games of course. The Vita was very nice, although I really couldn't tell the difference between PSP games and the newer games. I did like that it was lighter than even the third revision PSP likely because of the UMD mechanism being removed.

The most disappointing part of the show was that the niche publishers either avoided it completely or didn't have anything to show. Natsume was one of the few actually giving out printed catalogs, but everything in the booklet was already announced. The stuffed Alpaca they were giving out was really cool, but you had to spend time playing a particular game and I just couldn't do it this time. I believe they are giving them away with pre-orders on one of the new Harvest Moon games, so I suppose you can get it that way.

I didn't see Atlus at all, I'm not even sure if they were there. Ignition had a large booth in the corner behind Nintendo, but they already announced all their new releases and there were no surprises.

Curious to hear other stories of DPer's who went as I know I missed a lot of time specific giveaways and announcements as I was defintely in the speed mode.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice "speed mode" impressions, Bojay1997. Up until E3 2011 started I was actually upset I had to miss this one but it sounds like a pretty boring, uneventful E3 overall. The biggest thing I was interested in was the new Nintendo but it doesn't sound like seeing it in action would be worth the trip down. And that's not just based on your impressions - which back up a lot of my conerns. I've also noticed smaller publishers having less prominence with each new E3 I've attended. I didn't think it could get much worse - so your comments on them are pretty depressing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atlus was present. Watched a video with Mark from CGR talking to their PR guy. I want that giant Catherine display they were talking in front of...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was going to be for the wii. Looks like I will be spending money on the Wii U

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was going for the wii. Looks like I will be spending money on the Wii U

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Atlus was present. Watched a video with Mark from CGR talking to their PR guy. I want that giant Catherine display they were talking in front of...
    I just looked at the show directory and it appears they did have a private meeting suite which wasn't open to the general show attendees without an appointment. I believe this is what they did last year as well. Kind of a bummer as they used to have some neat swag from what I recall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

After slogging through all the info, presentations, and games showcased, I have to say that I was slightly disappointed with what was announced. I think that I am just getting to the age in which new game stuff just does not wow me anymore. Here are my very brief opinions

Microsoft
    +Cool that MS is doing Halo 1 again and making more in the series
    - A little worried that they are going to "Madden" the franschise and milk it for all its worth.
    - Kinect stuff for me is total crap. I did not see one game that I cared about.

Sony
    +Vita looks interesting. Not totally sold on it, but looks like a nice follow up to the PSP
    -I bet the games are going to be expensive.

Nintendo
    -Wii U was a total letdown, as a huge Nintendo Fan, I wanted something different.
    -Tablet controller looks retarded.
    -System is probably going to be expensive, who is the market?
    -System does not even upscale Wii games? That sucks.
    -Skyward sword still does not impress me. I want to play a zelda game with a standard controller
    -3DS still does not impress me. Ill wait on this one for a serious price drop.
    +the new mario game looks good. Just a little burnt on Mario games
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wyneGuyA1 View Post
    I thought it was going for the wii. Looks like I will be spending money on the Wii U
    It was originally, then got switched over to the WiiU. Let us hope it is not another Steel Diver.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I'm with swlovinist, minus the positive comment about Halo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the best thing I experienced vicariously through net vids was Galaga 30th. So yeah, I'm a curmudgeon a bit too.

I want to know more about Wii U. I'd like it to be good, but I was the same way about 3DS a year ago and I don't really care about it now that it's out. Wii doesn't cut it anymore, and PS3/360 have games, but too many headaches. PSP is practically dead - Persona 2, Patapon 3, then what? And I still haven't picked up Radiant Historia and Okami-Den for DS... Harder to care these days. Yet I try.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-09-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PS Vita games may, or may not, be priced just like 3DS titles at $39.99.

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.