Thread: Help identifying DreamCast controller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help identifying DreamCast controller

I was at a thrift store today and saw some DreamCast controllers. While most of them were 3rd party ones, I found this one that caught my interest. It looks almost exactly like an official controller, however the DreamCast logo is blue instead of orange, the back of the controller is transparent gray, and the controller plug is green. The 1st party controller I already have has the standard non-transparent back and white plug. I am also curious as the official controller has the HKT-7700 model number within the plastic on the back, yet the other one doesn't have any markings (though there is some sticker residue in the area). I also notice the circuit boards look different.

Here are the two controllers side by side. Official one is the one on the left:

So this leads to my question. Is the one on the right a controller from a different region (I'm in the US), or is it just an aftermarket controller that looks like the real deal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IIRC one of the foreign versions of the Dreamcast did use the blue swirl instead of the orange.

JY

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

PAL regions had a blue logo, it's from Europe.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Yep, that's a PAL controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PAL regions used a blue swirl because the German video game/DVD publisher, Tivola, already used a similar orange swirl in their logo and they didn't want to cause any type of trademark dispute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well thank you all for the identification. Logo aside, this is still an official controller correct? I'm just a little skeptical because there are no model numbers or any SEGA marking whatsoever on the casing or circuit board like the US one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is. It looks like Millennium Controller leftovers. I have a white US controller that is the same, and if you can find pics of the Millennium Controllers, they have the same colored connectors (which are way better, by the way).

Your value is not too high though. The Millennium ones don't bring in too much at all, even though they are pretty rare (and pretty cool, I think -- I tried to collect them all, don't remember if I got them all). And, without any real official history, I doubt you're looking at too much.

I personally guess it's an early prototype type thing. The Millennium controllers came out real early, and the one that I have that is similar has very smooth plastic, quite unlike other controllers. My guess is they put these together early to test the controllers with the molds.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm staring at a couple of my Millennium controllers and comparing them to the one on the right in your picture. I'm almost leaning towards it being a weird sort of knock-off. I mean, even if the outside of the controller didn't have any sort of model numbers or brand info, I would expect the PCB would be the standard, off-the-shelf type with Sega's logo printed on it. Why make a prototype PCB for a new shell? The wiring configuration inside and even the traces look different, from what I can see.

Pretty cool, either way.