Thread: Game Genie SNES Issue! Not Responding!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Game Genie SNES Issue! Not Responding!!

This seems pretty appropriate for my first post:

I have recently run into a rather nasty problem with my version 1.0 Game Genie for the SNES in the form of the cartridge simply not reading certain lines of code that I feed it(or sometimes none at all), causing absolutely no effect when I boot certain titles up.

I have recently found this issue originates with my copy of Contra III, which simply won't properly activate a single code I throw at it, not even one! I have also found that random codes stop working on my copies of Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars as well, while the rest of the code strings work just fine.

I was informed elsewhere that my GG cartridge could possibly be corrupted, which would explain why it's acting so stingy when it comes to transferring certain codes properly. I was then told that in order to test if it's corrupt or not, I just have to completely fill up the entire code input screen with '0's and then boot the game up. When the main menu is fully loaded, reset the console. If the digits that you see when you return to the code input screen remain all '0's, then your GG is perfectly clean. But if any other characters appear in the code strings, then there's definitely an internal bug screwing with your unit.

To my dismay, when I ran this test on my Contra III cart, all that came up after I reset the system was a single line of code that read "00A0-000D", located in the fifth space, while the other four lines of code completely disappeared. As for my iffy Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars cart, the lines of code that emerged after the reset were displayed as such:

"00A0-0000
    00A0-0000
    00A0-0000
    00A0-0000
    00A0-0000"

I am almost certain that these differences are no coincidence in regards to how GG codes act up on these SNES carts of mine and would love to know if there's anything I'm possibly doing wrong on my part or if there's anything that can be done to resolve this hindering problem.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it boots up so id say it works honestly. open the game genie and the snes and clean the contacts with alcohol and soft bristled toothbrush. polish the male connector end on the game genie if you are feeling spicy. cleanliness is next to godliness in terms of older consoles.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I actually started a thread about this awhile back. The verdict seems to be a) different versions of the SNES, and b) different versions of the GG. I don't think it's a 'bug' per se.

http://digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139933

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in your thread, the test to see what SNES you have has a dead link, what game are they talking about a debug menu for?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The Lion King has a cheat menu that will tell you what version console you have. (push B, A, R, R, Y on the options screen)

Or else Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (US version 1.0 only), press Select+Start on the main menu. Or hold one and push the other, I forget exactly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks