Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a CD-i?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What to do with a CD-i?

I picked a busted one of e-bay for cheap, and I've spend the last two weeks or so fixing it. I got it up and running pretty quickly, but it took awhile to build an adapter that lets me use a Sega Genesis joypad since I couldn't find a real CD-i controller.

Now that it's working, I'm sort of at a loss of what to do with it. I have other consoles like the 3DO and Pippin that have weak libraries, but even those have one or two games worth playing. So far I've found literally nothing worth playing on the CD-i. The Zelda games are interesting, but neither of them are remotely enjoyable. Hotel Mario is so-so, but boring after the first 2 minutes. I bought Dimo's Challenge of e-bay, and it's not totally terrible for a Chip's Challenge clone. IHaven't bothered with any of the FMV games since I don't like the genre.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I've heard good things about The Apprentice, so I'll keep an eye out for it on e-bay.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Play Tetris and Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam. Those two are my favorites on there. Tetris is a cool version and Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam is a very long Final Fight/Streets of Rage clone
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Always remember the CDi was NEVER meant to be a gaming console according to Philips, Netherlands, nevertheless some excellent games managed to appear on this player.

These are your friends who can help:
    http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/forum...4f964f9badef3f

Last edited by tom; 06-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Decent CDI games:

Zenith
    Crimson Ghost
    Plunderball
    Voyeur

Even Hotel Mario is alright, but those four are pretty decent games to try out with the console working and all. There's also a decent port of Flashback. Voyeur is an FMV game, more or less, so you may not like it, but the rest are just straight up standard games, and I'd put Zenith at the top of that heap.

Also remember that the CD-i has no copy protection, in the event you just want to go bootlegging to try stuff out and see if you like it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, that gives me something to try. I'll also check out that CD-i board.

Also remember that the CD-i has no copy protection, in the event you just want to go bootlegging to try stuff out and see if you like it.
    That's what I've been doing, but I haven't been able to burn CDs in the "CD-i Ready" format. I've read that some burners don't handle subchannels properly, that's probably why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as I kid I LOVED the Sesame Street game on the CD-i, but I don't think that'll hold up to todays standards ^^

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to hear more about this adapter for using a genesis controller. How did you do it? How much did it cost? Etc...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpugmire View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this adapter for using a genesis controller. How did you do it? How much did it cost? Etc...
    I basically modified the plans for a PC to CD-i joypad adapter you can find here: http://www.alpinecom.net/phackmann/cdiadapter/index.php There's a zip file at the bottom with the source code and schematic.

I changed the code and circuitry a bit so it works with a Genesis pad rather than an analog PC pad, next week I'll post the modified schematic and modified source code. I'd say it cost less than 20 dollars to build (excluding a case to put the circuit in). You do need the capability to program a PIC chip, though. I already have an EEPROM programmer that could do it.

It works pretty good so far with the games I've tried, although the cursor moves a little too fast in some games that were designed to work with a mouse. I'm thinking of modifying the code so that pressing the start button on the Genesis pad toggles between two speeds, so you can accurately point when you need to. I think the original CD-i joypad had a similar feature. It also only works with a 3 button Genesis pad right now, but it wouldn't be too difficult to modify it work with a 6 button one.
    Last edited by blue lander; 06-26-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ammo for trebuchet.

Alternatively, good things have been said about The Apprentice and Cliff Johnson's puzzle games (Cartoon Carnival, Merlin's Apprentice, Labyrinth of Crete), though the latter are easily played on a PC.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's hard for me to come up with any recommendations. Most of the games I can think of are mostly worth playing for curiosity reasons (Nintendo licenses, etc.,). Of the 50 or so CD-i games I've played so far none has been entertaining enough for a single outing, much less subsequent ones. It makes the 3DO look like the SNES. That said, it's an interesting part of gaming history and I wouldn't part with my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though I haven't played the game myself, I hear The 7th Guest is pretty good. FMV adventure game. But also available for other systems, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mebinici
    PSN
    mebinici

I wish my CD-i 450 was working. I think I need to change the battery. Zelda's Adventure might be worth playing?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a picture of the genesis to cd-i adapter. I'll post the code and schematic later.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    The Zelda games are interesting, but neither of them are remotely enjoyable.
    You do know there's a third one, right?

I haven't bothered with any of the FMV games since I don't like the genre.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
    Honestly, given what you've said so far, I'd recommend getting rid of it.

The CD-i is great for FMV games, but that's about it. There are a handful of other interesting games, but they're all pretty much blown away by stuff on the Genesis and SNES.

--Zero

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    You do know there's a third one, right?
    There's two starring Link and one Zelda, right? I assume they're all equally bad. I will admit that I'm starting to enjoy Hotel Mario. It gets tedious after the first few levels, but it's not horrible or anything. I also like Micro Machines. It's so slow and choppy, I can get much further in it than the Genesis or NES versions. I'm going to try to hunt down Lucky Luke and Mutant Rampage, and the Apprentice of course if I can find it for the right price.

Honestly, given what you've said so far, I'd recommend getting rid of it.

The CD-i is great for FMV games, but that's about it. There are a handful of other interesting games, but they're all pretty much blown away by stuff on the Genesis and SNES.

--Zero
    The CD-i isn't even very useful for FMV games if you don't have that Digital Video Cartridge! Seems like a good chunk of games require it.

I bought it because it's one of the few systems left I don't have and it always bugged me that I didn't have one. It'll probably end up on a shelf collecting dust eventually, but I wanted to give it a shot before it gets shelved. I might as well start making space for it now, though. It'll look nice between the RCA Studio II and the Playdia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a picture of the genesis to cd-i adapter. I'll post the code and schematic later.
    What does the other end that plugs into the CD-i look like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's two starring Link and one Zelda, right? I assume they're all equally bad.
    Actually, there's one starring Link, and two starring Zelda. The first two are the sidescrollers, Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon. The third game, Zelda's Adventure, is completely different from the first two, and has a top down view. And from what I've read, it's supposedly decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda's Adventure is really just as bad as the other two, if not worse.

In any case, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Burn Cycle. That's a great game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpugmire View Post
    What does the other end that plugs into the CD-i look like?
    It's just a mini DIN that plugs into the port on the back of the CD-i. I've attached a picture.

I've also posted a RAR archive with the following 4 files:

Gamepad3.c - C source code for the PIC controller for the CCS PIC C Compiler

Gamepad3.hex - The compiled source code. You can burn this file directly to your PIC controller. You'll need some way of programming the PIC. I think there are plans on the internet for simple ones you can build yourself if you don't want to buy one.

Gen2CDiBOM.txt - List of all the components and their part numbers from digikey.com

Gen2CDi.png - The Schematic

Notes:

*For some reason the guy who originally designed the circuit has wired the outputs of the PIC directly to the CD-i rather than going through the MAX232 chip,so you need to keep the cable short between the CD-i and this adapter.

*As of right now it only works with 3 button Genesis joypads. Button A and B are the two fire buttons, C and start do nothing.

*In some games where you move a pointer around to enter your name or select a level or whatever, the pointer moves too fast. It works fine in the Zelda game I tried, but it moves too fast for Dimo's Quest.

*I've only tried this with a handful of games. Who knows if it'll work with every game.

*The CD-i I used to test it was a CD-i 910. No idea if it works with other models.

*It only works when you plug it into the back joypad plug. Doesn't work with the front.

Left to do:

* Code Button C up to be Button 1 and 2 pressed togeather

* Code the Start button to toggle the pointer speed so you can slow it down when you need more accuracy.

* Add support for 6 button joypad

* Use the Max232 to connect the PIC to the CD-i so you can use a longer cable.
    Last edited by blue lander; 06-29-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the CD-i sucks. I had about 44 burnt games supplied with my CDi I got off ebay, only two games were decent IMO - backgammon (but yawn, no!), and Hotel Mario. That game is quite a good game actually, if you compare it to normal platformers, it is unique.

When I modded my CDi, I removed the FMV addon as Hotel Mario didn't need it and the space the FMV took didn't make it viable. If you need a PAL FMV unit for the CDi, I have it on ebay at the moment, I know the listing says will ship to UK only, however if anyone here wants it and wins the item, i'll post it wherever if you don't mind the postage rate.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT