0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Yes, but

According to both the U.S. and U.K. game's instruction manual "saved data on this software cannot be reset."
    It would be completely and totally pointless to force someone's settings on another person while letting them start a new game. Why would they even implement such a feature and tout it as something much more serious? Seems like that would be a waste of time, resources, and public image.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Yes, but

It would be completely and totally pointless to force someone's settings on another person while letting them start a new game. Why would they even implement such a feature and tout it as something much more serious? Seems like that would be a waste of time, resources, and public image.
    Since none of us know what "settings" are yet (AFAIK the game isn't out yet) ... what is to say that you can't go in and simply adjust them?

I'm just seeing the typical knee-jerk gaming press/gaming public internet reaction here, and until the game is in the hands of consumers who can verify exactly what all of this means, I'm cautious to call for the heads of those at Capcom.

If the game creates a locked-down save file that we can't erase or reset, that could be viewed as a bad thing if you're only allowed to make ONE game file that will not allow you to re-start at level 1.

If you're allowed to make more than one game file ... I don't see this as a major problem, unless you're so OCD that you can't handle having more than one game file on your cartridge.

If the game forces you to carry over all the experieince/weapons/money from the un-erasable master save file, that could also be a bad thing ... but if NOT ... again, no reason to get our collective panties in a bunch.

If the un-erasable file only handles SETTINGS ... I'm pretty sure that most games allow settings to be freely adjusted. If the previous owner had the game set to hard ... what is stopping the new owner from going in and adjusting the setting to easy or extreme?

As most people know, I'm not a fan of reacting based on hearsay so I'd like some more info before I make a decision as to how good/bad this decision was.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I too found the article confusing. It doesn't flat-out confirm that you can't replay at all. If you can replay, then it's just a matter of being stuck with what you've unlocked, which still sucks but isn't nearly as bad. That wouldn't be a new thing either, as even games that go back to the 90s feature that at times (of course, you can try to wipe a cart by turning the system on and off repeatedly if you're desperate).

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    If the game creates a locked-down save file that we can't erase or reset, that could be viewed as a bad thing if you're only allowed to make ONE game file that will not allow you to re-start at level 1.

If you're allowed to make more than one game file ... I don't see this as a major problem, unless you're so OCD that you can't handle having more than one game file on your cartridge.
    That would still be a bad thing, though, since you're probably not going to be given near infinite save files. Even if you can make 10, that's going to bite you in the ass when you want to play that 11th time.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-27-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I see where you're coming from Frankie. I think the fear (and the suggestion) is that there's just one save file on the cartridge full stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i wonder what their motivation for it was.. and if they will still defend it now that the media jumped on it

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Torches and pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First the anti piracy stuff with arcade edition and now this? Sweet jesus, I can see why mikami, keiji inafune, and everyone else that was even remotely important in that company left over the last few years.

It's like they have meeting to come up with the worst possible ideas ever.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I can think of a few games on my shelf that are already like this, and those are just a few I know of off the top of my head. However, I believe those were just oversights. Intentionally not having a data reset feature seems silly. Here's hoping it backfires.
    Wasn't Gunpey DS like that too? I seem to remember you couldn't clear any data so everything was stuck unlocked once you beat it. You could replay the levels but the challenge was gone as you didn't have to unlock anything. It was a pretty crappy game though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is dbz supersonic warriors 2 for the DS that does this and has no two player mode this means that if this is anything like that then not with only one, but two games like this will hurt them. No one will ever buy a game for a one time only play. What if every game was like this even arcade games would you ever play them?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    prorattafactor

I strongly doubt that it's a one-play dynamic. I bet that when supplemental content is unlocked, it's unlocked and always accessible regardless of play-through.

This whole conversation makes me start to think about the proliferation of Wi-Fi on Nintendo and Sony devices. I wonder if publishers may even try to start limiting how many devices you can play a game on. I bet you the game can have a script in it to grab the serial number of the device and write it to the "save" file. Now that's just a matter of Nintendo or Sony allowing publishers to do that. Hopefully they won't allow that. Now, that approach can severely affect the selling of used video games.
    I develop indie games on iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

so what if im midway thru playing the game and then my ps3 yellow lights or my xbox red rings? im basically fucked right? do i then have to go back and re buy what i already own just for the priviledge of starting all over again?

coming from a guy who's lived thru 4 ps3's yellow lighting on him.....capcom can suck a bag of dicks

i supported what the industry was doing especially ea with making people who buy used have to purchase an online code so that at least this way, they can at least see SOME profit from bootleggers and people who buy used alike, but this is going way to far, get the fuck outta here, if this sticks, this is likely to be my last console generation before giving up and just buidling a gaming rig
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fucking insane. Seriously. Fucking insane.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like a late April Fools joke - it's so absurdly dumb. I won't buy any game that has been compromised like that. It seems like the industry is trying to find ways to cripple the used game market - and if that drives GameStop, etc., out of business I don't care. But this isn't the right way to do it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    so what if im midway thru playing the game and then my ps3 yellow lights or my xbox red rings? im basically fucked right? do i then have to go back and re buy what i already own just for the priviledge of starting all over again?

coming from a guy who's lived thru 4 ps3's yellow lighting on him.....capcom can suck a bag of dicks

i supported what the industry was doing especially ea with making people who buy used have to purchase an online code so that at least this way, they can at least see SOME profit from bootleggers and people who buy used alike, but this is going way to far, get the fuck outta here, if this sticks, this is likely to be my last console generation before giving up and just buidling a gaming rig
    Um. We're talking about a 3DS game.

If you're playing 3DS games on PS3 you've obviously come from some future time where hackers have figured out how to emulate the 3DS on the PS3.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pixelsnpolygons View Post
    This sounds like a late April Fools joke - it's so absurdly dumb. I won't buy any game that has been compromised like that. It seems like the industry is trying to find ways to cripple the used game market - and if that drives GameStop, etc., out of business I don't care. But this isn't the right way to do it.
    Just thinking this through in my head, I dont pretend to hold an advanced business degree here... if publishers and developers hate Gamestop's used sales so much, why do they continue to let Gamestop sell their games? I know they're a top (if not THE top) retailer, but if their business model undermines game sales so much, just cut them off. The reason GS gets so much of the used business is because gamers can trade in their old games to get the newest releases... but if GS doesn't have the newest releases to sell, they essentially become a reseller. GS has no leverage in this regard. Why can't developers quit complaining about competing against their own product, and cut off the primary culprit at the knees? This would open up the used market to other retailers (Amazon for sure), but it would send a message... don't sell used at a discount next to our new product. I know of no other retailers other than perhaps car dealerships where this kind of thing is the norm.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Um. We're talking about a 3DS game.

If you're playing 3DS games on PS3 you've obviously come from some future time where hackers have figured out how to emulate the 3DS on the PS3.
    im talking in general, 3ds will eventually lead to ps3 if successful
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    im talking in general, 3ds will eventually lead to ps3 if successful
    That would be impossible. Think about it. How could a PS3 game prevent people from restarting from scratch if they so choose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    There was an adventure game for the C64 that erased itself when you died. A funny thing happened...no one bought it.
    This game sounds like fun, could you please tell me what the game was called?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Since none of us know what "settings" are yet (AFAIK the game isn't out yet) ... what is to say that you can't go in and simply adjust them?

I'm just seeing the typical knee-jerk gaming press/gaming public internet reaction here, and until the game is in the hands of consumers who can verify exactly what all of this means, I'm cautious to call for the heads of those at Capcom.

If the game forces you to carry over all the experieince/weapons/money from the un-erasable master save file, that could also be a bad thing ... but if NOT ... again, no reason to get our collective panties in a bunch.

If the un-erasable file only handles SETTINGS ... I'm pretty sure that most games allow settings to be freely adjusted. If the previous owner had the game set to hard ... what is stopping the new owner from going in and adjusting the setting to easy or extreme?

As most people know, I'm not a fan of reacting based on hearsay so I'd like some more info before I make a decision as to how good/bad this decision was.
    The answer directly from the manual...

Not sure how I feel about this. I only buy new, so my first reaction was "big deal"...yet I don't like having options taken away.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)