Thread: Game collectors beware!, HD Remakes

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I'm looking forward to this slew of HD remakes.

In the case of ZOE and MGS I sold most of those titles long ago so its a good opportunity to pick them up as new without playing ridiculous prices and having them look decent on my HDTV. I just barely touched Ico and haven't played any of the Splinter Cell or Sly Cooper games so its a good way to pick up several games for a new price on one disc.

If feel like these Collections might somehow diminish the value of your personal collection then your not collecting for the right reasons. :/

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Au contraire, Baby ..... because in the case of Silent Hill HD Remasters, the voice acting will be ALL NEW ... increasing the "collector's value" of the originals.

Too true, too true. I forgot that they did, in fact, announce new voice acting in the Silent Hill HD Remakes. My bad
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Au contraire, Baby ..... because in the case of Silent Hill HD Remasters, the voice acting will be ALL NEW ... increasing the "collector's value" of the originals.
    It depends on how good the new dub is. If it's anything like anime DVDs, if something gets rereleased with a new dub that's a better translation and sounds better(Castle of Cagliostro), nobody wants the earlier release. If the older dub is better(like with My Neighbor Totoro), people will still want the earlier release.

But with games, people collect for specific systems and the value of a game depends on the rarity of the game for a specific system. Bonk's Adventure is pretty expensive for the NES, but it's pretty common and cheap on the Turbografx. People still want the NES version and are willing to pay more for it. The only games that would drop are the ones that were overpriced to begin with, like Final Fantasy VII. It was a greatest hits game yet used to sell for over $60, even now it still sells for $20-$30 which is good for a common game.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    Too true, too true. I forgot that they did, in fact, announce new voice acting in the Silent Hill HD Remakes. My bad
    WHAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Silent Hill 2 and 3 already had awesome voice acting
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    WHAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Silent Hill 2 and 3 already had awesome voice acting
    Konami has already shown they have no respect for classic voice tracks. Look at SOTN...probably THE most memorable dialog in the history of gaming, and they erased it from history in the last SOTN PSP release. Blasphemy!
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK let me please explain some things to ease your confusion about this thread.

I do not collect games for resale value. I believe games are to be played.

What I don't like about the HD remakes is that I will spend another $30, and trade/sell my original copy. This means that my original copy lost value to me, because I decided to sell it. Yes, Yes, I know you will say " just don't buy it then". Well, how could I pass a beautified version of a game that I love?

I do, in fact, like the HD remakes so far and will buy the ones that are good.

P.S - you can't tell anybody that they are collecting for wrong reasons. I think a lot of people here will agree with that.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

This confuses me even more..so your complaining that the HD releases exist because they "force" you to buy another copy, thereby personally devaluing the copy you already own?

Although you do have options here such as not trading your original-attached personal value copy in and just buying the HD remake you pretty much dismiss that so again what is your point? HD remakes are bad because you personally don't want them to exist so your original copy is the only version of the game in existence? If its not about the money then how does the HD version devalue your personal original copy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by porlino87 View Post
    This means that my original copy lost value to me, because I decided to sell it.
    That's your fault. No one's forcing you to sell the game once you buy the HD version. Your argument is devoid of logic.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

What I don't like about the HD remakes is that I will spend another $30, and trade/sell my original copy. This means that my original copy lost value to me, because I decided to sell it. Yes, Yes, I know you will say " just don't buy it then". Well, how could I pass a beautified version of a game that I love?

At no point are you forced to sell what you have to buy a new version. If you make the decision to do so, that's your deal and you have no reason to complain about it. No one's holding a gun to your head, etc.

Why can you not keep it or just trade it in towards a new one and be content? I've hung onto my originals and they've not lost any value to me.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can collect whatever for whatever reason you want. However whether it's wise to collect for a certain reason i.e. financial, is another matter.

As others have said, no one forces you to sell your original copy. In fact I think most collectors would keep the original and enjoy both. Would explain why I own 4 versions of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, 3 of Orcarina of Time, 2 of Chrono Trigger etc

It's (generally) good that games are being remade and rereleased. One day the originals and their consoles will fail to work. This way they will be available for further years.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind HD remakes at all, I just find it a little strange that they are mostly of last gen games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No game that's popular enough to get an HD remake will ever have high collector/resale value. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kind of feel like this to. It makes you feel like your current versions of these seem a little less valuable, but I'm excited to see the HD versions of some of these games at the same time.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I don't mind HD remakes at all, I just find it a little strange that they are mostly of last gen games.
    Aside from PSP, Wii, and DS, everything this gen would already be in HD. Wii and DS aren't going to get any HD remakes anytime soon, if any at all(DS.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be getting the Metal Gear remakes day one, but the others I'll wait til they're $20 or less. I would love to see some Syphon Filter and Jak and Daxter HD remakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I would love to see some Syphon Filter HD remakes.
    I think me and you are the ONLY ones in the world who want those. I waited in vain for Sony to make a PS3 version of Syphon Filter(my favorite Sony exclusive series) so that I finally had a reason to get a PS3. But I got tired of waiting so I just picked up a cheap PS3 earlier this year anyway.

There was buzz before E3 that one of their announcements was going to be a new Syphon Filter but alas it never happened. The only Syphon Filter news as of late is that the Psp versions have been bundled with two other games to form new two-packs that retail for $14.99(I saw this is Gamestop already about a week ago).

Atleast the Psp games got ported to the PS2 but come on Sony, give us a new damn game. This is one of your best series and you are letting it waste away.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

As a whole, "collecting" of anything is a waste. Games serve a purpose as entertainment but they have no real value after a certain point other than their rarity. You can say a game is very valuable and some people have been fooled into believing they are valuable, but if you have no desire to play it, then it's junk. Keeping a game around because it fills in a collection, to me, is a waste of effort and space as well as money. Even if you only paid $2 for NBA Live '97 because it got you one game closer to a full set, that's $2 wasted that could've been spent on a game you'd enjoy. Are you really going to spend time to play a 14 year-old sports game?

I have a large collection of games, but have no intent of permanently holding on to them. In fact, I've been thinning the herd lately. Very few games have hit me with such impact that I've decided to keep them. I keep a game based on whether I can see myself taking the time to play through it again. If I see myself wanting to play through it again, then it's valuable to me.

As for the whole issue of buying new HD games, I think it's kind of a waste as well. If you don't already own them, then it's a hell of a bargain if you get 3 games on one disc. Other than that, I look at it as game companies wringing another few nickels out of the consumer. Still I have no desire to replace my singles with a compilation. Buying a game you already own is throwing money away. Especially from my standpoint that once it's beaten, it's gone.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould