Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's so weird how people on Steam want to add to their "collection"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

With deals like the Square Enix pack. 30 games plus all DLC for $80. Or the 2K pack, which is unfortunately missing the GTA titles. For $80 it includes a lot of great games like most of the Civilization series, Borderlands GotY, and it even includes Duke Nukem Forever which just came out. Being a PC gamer is dirt cheap without ever having to leave your home.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    While it may seem people are padding their libraries, it's not absolutely true.
    This.

You want to know how many games I've bought from GOG.com this past week? Eight. All for $3 a pop. Why? Because I'm a digital packrat? Not really, because these are games I've wanted to buy for ages but can't because hard copies are not as cheap. I'm still missing a few I want to buy: MDK 1 and 2, Messiah, and Giants. I already have some of these on physical form, but I'd rather just get the digital ones and sell or trade my physical ones. Most of the time, it's easier to get the digital ones up and running.

Out of this current Steam sale I've only bought one game. I already own most of the stuff that's been on sale these past few days, or I'm just not interested in it in any way. At least it's not like the past two sales where they had game packs with several games for $10. That's how I got a lot of random indie games.

The only game I'm hoping will go on sale is Last Remnant. The game hasn't had a decent discount in almost two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Messiah is a gem.

The Last Remnant, I've had for a few years and haven't really been able to push myself to play it. It's alright. Have fun getting the game to run properly without slowdown or vsync issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Messiah is a gem.

The Last Remnant, I've had for a few years and haven't really been able to push myself to play it. It's alright. Have fun getting the game to run properly without slowdown or vsync issues.
    ... I can't run it. Unreal Engine hates my video card.

But I'd rather pay $10 for it than $40, and I don't own a 360. Yes, I'm one of those people that buys games for the future. >_>
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Remnant-P...9636793&sr=8-2

Retail version for $20 on Amazon. It's Steam-linked anyway.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    This is why the takeover of digital distribution at all levels and on all platforms seems like an inevitability - the pure economics of it are simply too tempting to pass up, even for gamers who are well aware of its negative implications.
    If cloud computing infrastructure takes a majority use hold, that will only accelerate the changeover date. I won't miss physical at all, or all the middlemen, if the price scales much in the way Steam has vs retail shelf prices. I do think console producers are going to fight the change more than embrace it for fear of reduced margins of profit (not the total yield, just the margin, which is sad), but we'll see how it all unfolds.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 07-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Remnant-P...9636793&sr=8-2

Retail version for $20 on Amazon. It's Steam-linked anyway.
    Check the "Bargain Buyers Software" listing: Published in the U.K for worldwide use.

I don't take chances when it comes to stuff like this. Steam games are often region locked, so... yeah. Thanks for looking this up, if Squeenix doesn't put it on sale then I'll just buy it there or ask a friend from the UK to buy it for five pounds and send me the code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On another forum, I was reading a thread and people were disucssing the more recent Steam sales. The winter sale last year, and the summer sale last year. Several of them spent over $230 on games during those sales. One guy was talking about how he has about 219 games, but only plays about 10 of them.

I know how tempting it can get. Plus, it's just human nature to see a good deal, and feel like you can't pass it up, even if it's something you don't need. People see a game, like Just Cause 2 for $5, and they know that Just Cause 2 is a huge, big time game, and the fact that it's being sold for a mere 5 bucks.... it's just so hard to pass up.

I wonder if the ENTIRE video game industry couldn't learn something from Steam. If you price your games low enough, seems people actually end up spending even more money on a per month basis, just being split up among many different games.

UPDATE: Just went to steam store a second ago, and there are some really nice deals jumping off. Darksiders for $5. I recently bought a retail copy of Darksiders for $8, I guess I should have waited and saved an extra 3 bucks... oh well. A great deal for anybody else! Battlefield Bad Company 2 is only 5 bucks. That's very tempting, even though it isn't really my style of game. AVP for 5 bucks, Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is $1.99. My problem is, I don't have Half-Life 2, or Half-Life 2 Episode 1. I really wish they would have Orange Box for like 8 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

It's not Steam, but I think I have around 150 XBLA game and haven't touched a third of them. I've bought many on sale for half price at $5 or so (and most of the Microsoft points I buy are 20% off in the first place).

The problem is that I end up acquiring games that I want to play faster than I can play through them. It's the same problem I believe most of us have with physical games on our shelves.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Backloggery has separate console listings for download titles, if you want to use them. The only thing is, I use Backloggery to figure out which games to sell. When I get tired of seeing a game on my list, it goes to my Amazon pile. It doesn't really work that way for download games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    if Squeenix doesn't put it on sale then I'll just buy it there or ask a friend from the UK to buy it for five pounds and send me the code.
    That one Square Enix sale is for 30 games plus all DLC for $80. One of the games is Infinite Undiscovery. If you're interested in the other games, or atleast half of the other games, then it might be worth it for you. It really only has two Square Enix games, the rest are Eidos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That one Square Enix sale is for 30 games plus all DLC for $80. One of the games is Infinite Undiscovery. If you're interested in the other games, or atleast half of the other games, then it might be worth it for you. It really only has two Square Enix games, the rest are Eidos.
    I don't have $80. :P And I already own a ton of the games on that pack. "Infinite Undiscovery" is not in the pack anyway, that's not a PC game.

I'm trying to ration my purchases. I'm still getting some last minute stuff from GOG, since their sale ends tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I just bought a game and some DLC for Defense Grid, even though I might not play all of them today. Is that cool, or was I supposed to clear that with someone here first?

No, not Kane & Lynch, that WOULD be embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

"Infinite Undiscovery" is not in the pack anyway, that's not a PC game.
    I meant Last Remnant since that was the game you were asking about and it's on there. Didn't mean Infinite Undiscovery. But since you have most of the games on there, then nevermind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I just bought a game and some DLC for Defense Grid, even though I might not play all of them today. Is that cool, or was I supposed to clear that with someone here first?

No, not Kane & Lynch, that WOULD be embarrassing.
    Wait, you paid for the Defense Grid DLC?

You could've gotten it for free with the contest, all you had to do was do three non-game things and boom, free pack. Ah well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Wait, you paid for the Defense Grid DLC?

You could've gotten it for free with the contest, all you had to do was do three non-game things and boom, free pack. Ah well.
    Oh, I saw it as one of the ticket prize things, but the only non-game related activity I saw was signing up for the club. That's ok, the DLC is on sale for 24 cents per pack. All 4 packs cost me 96 cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Oh, I saw it as one of the ticket prize things, but the only non-game related activity I saw was signing up for the club. That's ok, the DLC is on sale for 24 cents per pack. All 4 packs cost me 96 cents.
    The first one was the Steam group, the second was linking your Facebook, and today's is writing a mini review for a game you own. There's a lot of days left so who knows what else you can do without having to play a game. I've managed to get 10 tickets (seven from games) so I'm definitely getting all the goodies for the few games I play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    I have exactly one game on steam, team fortress 2? You know why? Because it was free.
    My f2p brother!

Though I'm premium now because I bought some item for 50 cents so I can trade.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Because I don't like the idea of paying Steam for the ability to basically rent a game, I've only ever bought two things from it/them. A digital book about Portal 2 for my partner and a fancy solitaire game, and that was mostly so I wasn't using my credit card for a sum under $5 (personal rule). Everything else I have on Steam was either already free or a gift.

On a different note and referencing a few posts back, MDK 1 and 2 are worth money? I got a copy of each five years ago from a storage unit sale, they've been chilling in storage since. 0_o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    ...a fancy solitaire game...
    Faerie Solitaire? I got hooked on that for awhile.