Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: The King of Collectors: Full Playstation 2 NTSC Library Sealed

  1. #81
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,277
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You are making more assumptions and judgements in this topic than anybody else. You're trying to twist my words into things I never remotely said, and I think the members of Digital Press are smart enough to see through it.

    I never once said anything bad about the guy. No one did, for the most part, but, for some reason, when a topic like this comes up, certain people absolutely flip out and overreact if anyone does anything other than bow down and kiss the collector's feet. People are entitled to their opinions. All I ever said about this guy and his collection is that I'm more impressed with collections that were built with heart and determination rather than bottomless pockets and eBay, that I'm more interested in collections that people actually play, and that I find his spending habits questionable. I'm entitled to those thoughts, just as anyone is welcome to question aspects of my collection, like, for example, some people think it's pointless importing text-heavy games from Japan, when I have lots of them. Even if I made a topic to show off my collection, I would accept comments like those, but, as I said earlier, if this guy simply made a topic here to show his collection, then he probably wouldn't get any negativity. However, he chose to do an interview and make his collection a subject of discussion, and if he or anyone else can't handle a discussion with anything but praise and worship, then I don't think you're taking our community in the right direction.

    I brought up Suze Orman because I believe she's very savvy about finances and usually gives people good advice. My point was simply that I believe his spending habits could be foolish if he's neglecting to use that large amount of money to secure his finances first, and I think Suze Orman would say the same. But maybe he is completely set for life, I don't know.

    Again, there's nothing hypocritical about my comments because my spending habits aren't remotely similar. I just don't get how you and some others in this topic don't understand that not all unnecessary spending is alike. Even if I looked only at the 12 years in which I was seriously collecting, that would break down to an average of 100 games a year (obviously the real number is less than that given the 8 years of gaming prior). Most of those games were bought at $3 or less, so we're talking about an insignificant amount of money over the course of one year. Plus, unlike this collector, I don't sit on big hoards of duplicates. I resell a fair number of games each year for more than I bought them at, so my financial investment in my collection is diminished further yet. And beyond games, I don't do much unnecessary spending. I was raised according to the old saying "Waste not, want not", and I'll use most things until they wear out or break.

    Lastly, I never said anything about rich people being evil or that I think it's bad for someone to have a rich family or any nonsense like that. You completely made that up. You were the one coming up with all these hypotheses about what this guy's life is like, so I simply responded to that by saying your ideas weren't plausible given the facts. I presented NO judgment in my assessment of what his situation most likely is.
    Wow, why not just use a cheesy politician's cliche to make your point? If you really believed that opinion or the facts were on your side or that everyone else saw through my alleged "twisting" of your words and arguments, you wouldn't have bothered to respond at all. Instead you chose to dig the hole even deeper.

    Do you even go back and read your own posts before hitting submit? In this post alone, you have accused him of "hoarding" and softened but reiterated your belief that he should seek Suze Orman's advice because his spending habits could be "foolish". Those are very loaded terms that carry a very negative connotation. If you really aren't passing judgement on him, how do things like that have any relevance whatsoever and why bring them up?

    If your only point is that his collection is less impressive in your opinion than someone who found it all at thrifts, garage sales and swap meets and paid an average of $3 a game, that's all you needed to say. Apparently, that's how you've built your collection, so anyone that doesn't do the same is apparently not worthy of respect or praise because they haven't shown enough "heart" or "determination". Obviously, someone who works hard to earn a living which they then use to buy things from Ebay or elsewhere has no heart or determination in their collecting, because the only righteous way to build a collection is the way you're doing it.

    Give me a break, if you and a few others weren't making negative assumptions about this guy, there would be zero discussion about his finances, charity, what constitutes "excessive" collecting, etc...All of it is completely irrelevant and is you and a few others imposing your personal belief system on something that has nothing to do with the interview he gave or his collection.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 07-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.

  2. #82
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,502
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

    Default

    The dude is 23 and has been actively collecting for 7 1/2 years. What kind of high paying job could he have got at age 16? Just saying for those still thinking he earned all the money himself. Without knowing him personally he would just come across as someone spoiled who just had everything handed to him whenever he wanted it, like getting literally every video game he wants as soon as he finds a copy of a game for sale. Maybe he's a nice guy in person, who knows.

    I'm not even sure if spending $40,000 on games would really help the economy that much since a large number of games would have been bought from private sellers after the games were out of print. How many jobs would really have been created because of his spending habbits?

    As for judging him, he agreed to take part in an interview and display photos of his collection for the public to see. Since he wanted to be seen by the public, people can think whatever they want of him. I doubt he really cares anyway.

    I really don't care so much what this guy does with his money(or parents money) as it doesn't affect me, I'm just not overly impressed with a collection of modern stuff built up by throwing lots of money around. At least not the PS2 collection, most of the games aren't rare so big deal. Spending money to get really rare games(like the few he has) or prototypes is more impressive since those games are much more interesting. It would be funny if his next goal would be to get every sealed game he has graded, if anything just to annoy more people.

  3. #83
    Great Puma (Level 12) Tempest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,548
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    It sounds to me that the criticism of "the stuff just sits there unused" is a backdoor argument since it can apply to a ton of collections, not just sealed stuff.
    Not at all. I'm not knocking him for doing a sealed collection, it's just that it's something I don't understand. I've been making that argument for years now. I really can't complain too much about buying games you know you'll never play, almost everyone's collection has those games. But at least I can open up the game, look at the manual, and heck even pop it in and watch it load up for a chuckle. You can't do that with sealed games, you just stare at the outside of the box. You might as well collect sealed empty boxes at that point since you'd never know the difference.

    To each his own though.

    Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

  4. #84
    ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,548
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Not at all. I'm not knocking him for doing a sealed collection, it's just that it's something I don't understand. I've been making that argument for years now. I really can't complain too much about buying games you know you'll never play, almost everyone's collection has those games. But at least I can open up the game, look at the manual, and heck even pop it in and watch it load up for a chuckle. You can't do that with sealed games, you just stare at the outside of the box. You might as well collect sealed empty boxes at that point since you'd never know the difference.

    To each his own though.

    Tempest
    Fair enough. I think we all have our little quirks when it comes to what we appreciate and how we appreciate it.

    But I guess what rubs me the wrong way is how this thread degenerated into a study of somebody's finances and implicitly tried to establish some kind of value system based on how something is acquired. Let's say this guy's parents dropped 40K on him and instead of getting a BMW he got a complete, sealed PS2 collection. Now let's say he worked for however many years and spent 40K of his own money. Now let's say he won the lottery. Now let's say he's an expert card counter and sticks it to casinos on a regular basis. Now let's say he got a massive dowry from marrying the daughter of a wealthy aristocrat.

    Is there really a substantive difference to any of it? Outside of theft or other morally repugnant behavior, does it really matter where the money came from? Does it necessarily affect how he values it? Does it make him "lesser"?

    Shit, by the time I was 6 or 7 I had a pretty extensive collection of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters action figures. And, shamefully, every single one of those items was bought by my parents or close relatives. I can tell you I loved and enjoyed every single minute spent with those toys. But I guess that collection matters less than it would have had I got off my lazy ass and got a job?

  5. #85
    ServBot (Level 11) Rob2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,601
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I don't have a problem with how the guy got all that money. My problem is what he did with it. Money is a very powerful tool. This guy chose to use that power to buy a sealed PS2 video game collection that he'll never touch, instead of doing something more constructive and responsible like helping people or saving it for the future.

    Of course, he's allowed spend his money however he wants. I'm just expressing my personal belief.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 07-08-2011 at 04:27 PM.

  6. #86
    Peach (Level 3) duffmanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    How the fuck can someone afford to do this?!

  7. #87
    I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    PapaStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Posts
    8,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    How the fuck can someone afford to do this?!
    Because they had the money?

    How can someone afford 20k on a sealed Stadium Events? How can someone afford 7k+ for a NWC Gold, 55k for Kizuna Encounter and the other AES game? How can someone afford to 90 bucks on the DNF: Balls of Steel edition? Because they had the money.

    How can someone afford to drop 500-600 a month on games, buying more than they could play a month, let alone the 7,200 on games spent that year, and do that for close to 2 1/2 years? I did that when I was in the 21-23 age range.

    I had access to a great indy store, and pretty much all income was considered disposable at the time and I disposed of a good chunk of it at a game store. PSOne games, PS2, XBox, GameCube, some GBA and other older stuff here and there. I paid the bills and things I needed to, but the rest, it went to games.

    How is that potentially any different than what he's done (besides the 2.5x scale if my spending was dragged out over 4 years).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

  8. #88
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,655
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    How the fuck can someone afford to do this?!
    Better management over personal finances. Even if you're working minimum wage at 40 hours(or not even that) you should still have some money left over after paying bills and for food.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Playstation 2 Slim NTSC/J
    By Nico87 in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM
  2. Full list of NTSC Gamecube games???
    By slidee in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
  3. KING KONG for Playstation 2 New Sealed
    By oceanfr in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 10:49 PM
  4. king of fighters maximum impact collectors edition?
    By Muscelli in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 11:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •