Yeah it's only 15 levels, and it's short if you burn right through it. I played it over the weekend and tried to pace myself. The ending is just like, ok, i guess the game is over now.

However, beating the game once means nothing in EDF games, and that applies here too for sure. Beating the campign unlocks campaign remix, which introduces harder enemies sooner and so on. And of course there are extra difficulty modes too. EDF has always been about replaying beaten levels to increase your stats and find new weapons and that's definately the case here. I don't mind the 15 levels bit at all. I'm gonna guess there will be more via DLC anyway, with the ending being what it is.

So far I'm favoring the Tactical armor, as by the end of EDF 2017 machine gun + turrets was how I was playing anyway. Really like the new turret system, but I hope higher ranks will mean the costs will go down so I can have more than one gun out at a time. I think I'll do trooper or Jet next, but for now I'm doing campaign remix with Tactical and ranking up.

Overall, while it obviously feels different than 2017 / the PS2 games (but almost all in a good way), this is very much a worthy entry into the series even if it's not by Sandlot. I wonder if EDF4 is going to use this engine or not. I wouldn't be too surprised if it does.